RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data

View Poll Results: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would buy if it had a gate AND removable tube.

92 34.85%
  • Yes. But I wouldn't want the removable tube.

81 30.68%
  • Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version.

48 18.18%
  • No. I prefer another manufacturer.

43 16.29%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

Boolit Grand Master

No, they are different actions. One only needs to look at the bolt to see the difference. Especially the Marlin square bolts.

After almost shooting my foot due to my fingers slipping in wet weather I like the Marlin safety. Makes it easy to drop the hammer safely. People don't like it because they forget to disengage it. For those that don't like it they're easy to remove.

Boolit Buddy
    All the Henry's I looked at the where very similar to a 336.

Boolit Grand Master

They make a bunch of different models. The big boys look similar.

Boolit Mold
    I bought a used 1894 rattan than a Henry 357. My buddy just bought an all weather but had a terrible time finding one. I bought the Used Marlin over the Henry for the loading gate issue. I intend to suppress it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    No, they are different actions. One only needs to look at the bolt to see the difference. Especially the Marlin square bolts.

After almost shooting my foot due to my fingers slipping in wet weather I like the Marlin safety. Makes it easy to drop the hammer safely. People don't like it because they forget to disengage it. For those that don't like it they're easy to remove.
    Was it a Henry? I guess anything is possible, but the Henry does have a safety. I find that a little odd it went off by thumb slipping. The Henry has a transfer bar safety in the hammer. I won't contact the firing pin unless you are holding the trigger back. It works just like the transfer bar system of Ruger revolvers. Had your finger on the trigger, DIDN'T you?
    Come on.... be honest.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-17-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Was it a Henry? Henry does have a safety. I find that a little odd it went off by thumb slipping. The Henry has a transfer bar safety in the hammer. I won't contact the firing pin unless you are holding the trigger back. It works just like the transfer bar system of Ruger revolvers. Had your finger on the trigger, DIDN'T you?
    Come on.... be honest.
    Your reading comprehension is lacking. I said almost, not did. I was talking about a Marlin. To drop the hammer your finger has to be pulling the trigger. My hand slipped causing the hammer to move forward under its own power. Somehow the round didn't fire but the primer had a large indent in it. I hunt in bad weather fairly often so the crossbolt safety is a welcome addition to the gun for me.

I understand a trigger can slip before being locked fully back. Sorry....The way you wrote it.....
    "After almost shooting my foot due to my fingers slipping in wet weather I like the Marlin safety. ".....
    It definitely sounded like you were talking about a Henry. And with the transfer bar safety in the Henry, there would have been no dent in the primer. Again, that is assuming you don't have your trigger depressed.

I just want to clarify that. Sorry I misunderstood.

There would be a significant price increase if they added a loading gate.
    First, the design would have to be modified and that’s engineering time.
    Second, tooling and fixtures would have to be made. Third, the extra op(s) is machine time added to making the receiver. Then there’s the gate and other needed small parts, all have to be machined, fit and finished.
    Production delays because of added time.

I HIGHLY doubt most potential Henry customers would pay the understandable increase in price to get a side loading gate. They don’t seem to be struggling in sales right now.
    If anything they MIGHT do a completely new model on a different production line IF they thought there was money to be made but IMHO that’s a pipe dream.

To many who’ve never worked in a machine shop, adding something like this doesn’t seem all that much. To a production facility where cycle times on machines are figured down to the minute, it would be a monumental undertaking
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I understand the problems. I think Henry could do it.... and do it efficiently. Look at the poll numbers thus far. There is a market to be exploited. Especially if Remington can't get their head out of their ***.

I dont believe for a minute the increase in price would be significant. Even if they have to develope a completely new design, it would be more then a pipe dream. Look at all the development Henry has done recently. Single shot shotguns, single shot rifles, lever action 4.10, levers designed for high power. And they are all reasonable $$$ for American made goods..... research and development included. No one can tell me they can't make a lever with a loading gate, and make it successful.

Yes.... they have some problems. But most of the problems are due to high demand. If I was a business, I would LOVE to have that problem. They will work it out. And add jobs in the process I'm sure.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-17-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If henry would bring out a new designed lever with a loading gate in their line of rifles I will bet they would outsell their tube loading levers.

Regardless of the loading gate, I wouldn't buy a Henry. I find all their models to be a bit heavy.

Too many "what great customer service they have". To me that means too many non working guns. I would put up with that with a Rossi, although my Rossi was fine, but Henry's aren't inexpensive, they should work correctly right out of the box.

Boolit Buddy
    The loading gate is a non issue for me. The only gripe I have is the scope rail for the Big Boy rifles is too high. It would be nice if they were a bit thinner for a better cheek weld when using a scope.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

In Remembrance
    I did not vote in the poll, there was no who cares option.

I like levers, tube loading gate or rotary mag is all fine, as far as I am concerned.
    Henry sells a lot of rifles, I highly doubt there could be enough lever people on this board to get them to redesign what has obviously been working in their favor so far.

The point of a poll is to get a statistical sample of opinion. The percentage of the vote here should reflect the opinions of shooters everywhere, whether they get on this site or not....with a margin of error of course... usually +/- 5 percent.

I guess I could have added a "who cares" option, but usually someone that doesn't care wont respond.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not own and haven't shot a Henry as of yet. As a loader of cast bullets I am some what concerned with loading gate damage to soft projectiles as being potentially detrimental to accuracy (perhaps a non-issue). For that reason I prefer the front tube loading Henry.

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer a loading gate but I still love my Henry. It's accurate, functions without issue and is very fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Given some thought there isn't all that much difference in function between the rifles. There are a few safety issues a Henry doesn't have that Winchester & Marlin do in there loading and un-loading. __ But staying on point.

Henry's tube loading gate won't scratch (sometimes deeply) its cartridge brass or shave the sides of either a cast lead or copper jacketed bullet which undoubtedly will affect accuracy. {Winchesters & Marlins have done just that since day one.} No one can convince me a smaller in stature individual won't have difficulty in pushing live rounds past either a Marlins or Winchesters loading gate.
    Frankly: If I were considering to buy my Son_Daughter or Grandchild their first lever. It would be a Henry over all the others. It the Safer well made rifle. 2-Items: recently made Marlin levers & late built Winchesters levers can't match.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Given some thought there isn't all that much difference in function between the rifles. There are a few safety issues a Henry doesn't have that Winchester & Marlin do in there loading and un-loading. __ But staying on point.
    Can you elaborate on the safety features you are referring to? I'm not quite sure what you are alluding to. I know nothing about Winchesters but have a fair knowledge of Marlins and Henry's.

Thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I did not vote in the poll, there was no who cares option.

I like levers, tube loading gate or rotary mag is all fine, as far as I am concerned.
    Henry sells a lot of rifles, I highly doubt there could be enough lever people on this board to get them to redesign what has obviously been working in their favor so far.
    I have the same opinion. I really like my Henry the way it is.

Boolit Master
    I will take stab at this. At the end of the day folks with loading gates have to cycle the rounds through the action to unload the gun. The potential for an unintended discharge is greater just because the rounds are being run through the chamber. Henry pull the tube empty the gun run the lever once to eject the one round that is chambered.

Valid concern? Maybe I have seen a 30-30 Winchester discharged while unloading fortunately it was pointed at the ground away from the group of hunters. While sound safe practices should be used when loading and unloading the potential is higher with the loading gate firearm.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast