Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners

View Poll Results: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would buy if it had a gate AND removable tube.

92 34.85%
  • Yes. But I wouldn't want the removable tube.

81 30.68%
  • Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version.

48 18.18%
  • No. I prefer another manufacturer.

43 16.29%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

Banned

if they had a loading gate I would definitely buy one.
    that is the only reason I don't have any.

I can look across the room at 15 lever guns and walk in the other room and look at another dozen.
    they all have a loading gate except the model 95.

I use mine to hunt with and like the gate so I can quickly swap in another load for small game without a 5 minute routine and a tube to bend.

Boolit Grand Master

No gate = I won't buy. If they released a 327 w/ a gate I would buy immediately. I'm on the fence about buying the current version.

It would be nice if the rifles were lighter as well. I know the question wasn't about that. But I can wish

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    This is the first rifling problem I've heard of involving a Henry.
    Its actually the 2nd, both rifles had the same problem. My friend was really let down, he really liked the henry, but, said he just couldn't take a chance the 3rd one would be the same.He also mentioned to the person he talked to about the quality control. Both rifles had this problem with the muzzle, and it was as if the second replacement rifle had not been looked at or they would not have missed the gouge on the outside of the barrel.

Are you talking Henry as in the 1860 .44 Henry???????? No loading gate for me on that Rifle !!!! That would not look right!!!!! Those other henrys
    ya they can gates and things !!! LoL

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

No. Not the 1860. May the nards be cut off the one who tries it!

Boolit Buddy
    I recently bought a 44 and I went rossi based on the gate. It was a tough choice. Henry has a nicer looking gun and a reputation for great customer service. Another big deal is the ability to mount a normal scope configuration. In the end rossi won due simply to the loading gate.

I would buy a Henry tomorrow if it came with a loading gate. I'm looking for another SBR host but the loading tube is an absolute PITA with a suppressor.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master

Bought my Son a brass 22 cal. Henry, second hand. He shot quite a few rounds through it, then started having trouble with light primer (yes,I know it's a rimfire). Sent it back to Henry they fixed it, polished it, we had to look at the serial number to ensure it was the same rifle. Very nicely done, and it shoots fine little groups.
    Would like to get .327.

Boolit Master
    I already have a henry with a loading gate it is called a 66.

Boolit Master
    All my Henry rifles of modern mfg are fine shooting rifles. The 357 is a fantastic rifle that Ai can run it dry off hand at 75 yards as fast as I can cycle the lever put them all in the kill zone of deer target. off the bench at 100 2-3” groups of 20-30 rounds. Great rifles loading gate to me is a finger pinching device that the tube eliminates.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    I would buy a Henry tomorrow if it came with a loading gate. I'm looking for another SBR host but the loading tube is an absolute PITA with a suppressor.
    First viable reason against the loading tube. Everything else is preference.

As for a 5 minute ammo change, I'm willing to bet , I can unload 8 rounds and load 8 rounds with the tube faster than a loading gate, safer too. I have hunted both type guns for 40 years, it's all about preference.

Boolit Master
    I have a 327 steel carbine that is a great shooter! I must be the odd ball, but I have never been a fan of loading gates. I can see how gate loading would allow one to load on the fly while staying in a gun fight, but for hunting/plinking no advantage. That said, I sure wish Henry would have executed the latch better. Ever use a BL22? The best tube set up IMO, dump that cheesy O ring retention Henry! I'm trying to figure out how to remedy. The original Henry would work to!

Mm If the only reason you won't buy a Henry lever is no loading gate your missing out!

Boolit Master
    Have always had a tube fed 22 since I was 8 yrs old and still do 64 years later. I like the simplicity of a loading & unloading tube gate.
    Never really wanted a Marlin or a Winchester lever rifle so preferred by others for there receiver lathed loading gate like Grand Daddy had.. I'll pass on those prior Grand Daddy either's and grab a 300 Savage Model 99 instead. ie the NO monkey business rifles of choice by those who know~~good shooting lever rifles. .

Boolit Buddy
    I am another one that won't buy a lever without a loading gate, I had a .22 with a tube loading and hated it, if they come out with a loading gate I definitely would buy one maybe two.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    grab a 300 Savage Model 99 instead. ie the NO monkey business rifles of choice by those who know~~good shooting lever rifles. .
    Completely different class of lever action rifle. It's like comparing a Cadillac to a Hyundai. Both will do the job but one is a lot nicer and higher quality.

They are with they are and that is a fairly well made gun backed by a great American company. I don’t mind the tube loading for rimfires, but prefer the loading gate for centerfire cartridges. That’s why I buy used Marlins or Winchesters. Too each his own.

Boolit Buddy
    wouldn't it be a Marlin then?

Boolit Master
    Henry makes a sold rifle, but like many I am not interested because of the lack of a loading gate. If Henry started making rifles with a loading gate I would be interested in one of their 45-70s, and 357s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    wouldn't it be a Marlin then?
    Better than a Marlin. Henrys do not have the dumb cross bolt safety. Besides the current junk cranked out by Remington is not a Marlin either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Buddy
    Beside the safety, aren't they the same. Just picked up a Remlin in 45 colt and so far so good.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast