RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners

View Poll Results: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would buy if it had a gate AND removable tube.

92 34.85%
  • Yes. But I wouldn't want the removable tube.

81 30.68%
  • Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version.

48 18.18%
  • No. I prefer another manufacturer.

43 16.29%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

I emailed Henry a while ago and casually mentioned how many here on our forum might consider a Henry if it had a loading gate. We've all read it many times. Some won't consider a Henry because it lacks the gate. I want to get the numbers. I know Henry listens to the customer.

I think it could be an option. And, there would be no need to dispose of the loading tube. You could load through the gate, and unload through the tube. That way the rifles will be standardized, with no need to have two different versions. Just cut in the gate and add the associated parts. And they could still produce the standard "gateless" version.

I will keep it simple but give everyone a say. Please comment even if you have a criticism. Like I said. They listen.

So here's the question...... If configured as stated above, would you consider a Henry if it had the option of a loading gate, and didn't add too much to the final cost?

I shot a SASS match last weekend where one of the competitors was using a Henry. He also had a pair of pliers on his gunbelt, and I asked why the pliers? He said when he fully loaded the magazine, it was very hard to be able to turn the cap on the magazine tube to lock it in, so he resorted to the pliers.

I think a loading gate would be a welcome addition to the Henry. The magazine tube loading has been one of the reasons I've avoided them in the past, and if they added it, I very well might consider adding one to my collection of leverguns.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I started off the poll by preferring the gateless version. It works well for my purpose. If I need more, I can drop them one at a time dirrectly into the chamber. I never had an issue with my loading tube. Do you know what caliber it was?
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-14-2017 at 05:21 PM.

He didn't have a problem with an empty magazine, only when it was fully loaded. He explained that the compressed magazine spring made it hard on his gun to turn the magazine cap to lock it in place.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    He didn't have a problem with an empty magazine, only when it was fully loaded. He explained that the compressed magazine spring made it hard on his gun to turn the magazine cap to lock it in place.

Fred
    I was editing my post as you were responding. Never had a problem locking down a full tube with mine. Maybe the guy was trying to overload it by one?

If anyone else has had this problem, this is the place to chime in.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-14-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Long as it had the loading gate I don't care weather or not the tube is removable

Keep em coming fellas. I fully intend to send this info to Henry at some point. Don't be shy. If you have criticisms, let em have it. All I ask is you do it constructively with detail.

Boolit Master
    Henry is selling allot of guns this loading gate thing is over rated. The tube is far safer to unload as you can rack the lever once and use the tube to unload th rest. If decreases the odds for an errant discharge from chambering and unchambering so many rounds. The tube is so easy to learn ad I just do get why some have such an issue. I will say it’s not that big of deal they can hardly keep up now with production to add a loading gate it would take an entire redesign.

I personally don't care on way or the other. Have way more Marlins and grew up with the loading gate but it has been a pleasure loading the Henry's thru the tube. No , I'm no shooting competition or laying down behind my dead horse battling indians. So I guess speed loading is not a concern to me. I miss the half cock the most.

Boolit Buddy
    The few folks I know of shooting Henry's in CAS have a miserable time. Constant breakages. On top of that, I'm very disappointed in the non-delivery of the Henry single shots that were supposed to have been out last spring, and still haven't made it to the market place.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like both. Get to top off easily but also the easy complete reload.

I'd add "and how about a 24" barrel variant?"
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    I personally think Henry is losing a significant market share by not employing the illustrious Kings Patent loading gate. They make a fine gun and made right, in the United States! That loading gate is the final puzzle piece.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Man
    With in the past 2 wks a friend of mine sent 2 Henry 357/38 lever action rifles back to henry, then, requested a full refund. First rifle seemed to shoot fairly well at 50yds. But, when cleaning it he found the rifling at the muzzle not as it should be. He said it looked like some one had taken a dremel tool to it, and the riflings were not that good. He called henry, in all fairness, they sent a mailing form for shipping and he sent it back. About 2 wks later, he received a totally different rifle.

This time, there was a gouge on the barrel, on the outside. And, the rifling inside the muzzle were even worse than the previous rifle. He tried hard to accept this last rifle, he'd always wanted a henry like he bought. But, this last time, he just could not justify keeping this rifle. Supposedly his refund is on the way. I was going to buy a 44/40 iron side model , but, after his experience, i think i'll hold off for a while. I know this is kind of off topic, but, i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the problems with the lack of or very little rifling at the muzzle.

I have two Henry's in BBS..My first, a 357, had an issue with ejecting, was promptly fixed. I was impressed..The second was a 45 colt, I have not had a hiccup . Have never really studied the riflings tho, never felt I needed to..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-7 45 colt.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	205847 Don't get much better than this...

I'm still messing with the 357, not as good as the 45 colt ....yet but less than 2 inches at one hundred with a 180 gr. cast.

Boolit Master
    I had difficulty opening the tube on my Henry-- but I discovered it was not the spring-- it was the rubber O-ring where the end of the tube seats. I put in a thinner O-ring and that solved the problem. I have two loading gate rifles and the Henry. I think the Henry is easier to load. Also, based on looking at how the trigger internals and carrier work in a Henry, I think it would take a major redesign (maybe not for the better) to accommodate a loading gate. I'm happy with it as it is.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy

I have Marlins, a Winchester as well as one Henry. I think Henry has the superior system as it appears to be more flexible in handling a wide range of cartridge lengths as the system is simpler. Adding a gate is adding more parts that can fail as one of the big advantages of the tube system is that it is simple which makes it reliable. If Henry puts gates on their rifle it becomes a "me too" effort. Good system and I hope they continue to refine it.

Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    The few folks I know of shooting Henry's in CAS have a miserable time. Constant breakages. On top of that, I'm very disappointed in the non-delivery of the Henry single shots that were supposed to have been out last spring, and still haven't made it to the market place.
    Can you be more specific? What breakages?
    Feel free to criticize, but with details.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKLITE881South View Post
    With in the past 2 wks a friend of mine sent 2 Henry 357/38 lever action rifles back to henry, then, requested a full refund. First rifle seemed to shoot fairly well at 50yds. But, when cleaning it he found the rifling at the muzzle not as it should be. He said it looked like some one had taken a dremel tool to it, and the riflings were not that good. He called henry, in all fairness, they sent a mailing form for shipping and he sent it back. About 2 wks later, he received a totally different rifle.

This time, there was a gouge on the barrel, on the outside. And, the rifling inside the muzzle were even worse than the previous rifle. He tried hard to accept this last rifle, he'd always wanted a henry like he bought. But, this last time, he just could not justify keeping this rifle. Supposedly his refund is on the way. I was going to buy a 44/40 iron side model , but, after his experience, i think i'll hold off for a while. I know this is kind of off topic, but, i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the problems with the lack of or very little rifling at the muzzle.
    This is the first rifling problem I've heard of involving a Henry.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Can you be more specific? What breakages?
    Feel free to criticize, but with details.
    I've seen three of them on the CAS range. All three of them had problems with the carrier locking up the action. I wasn't there when they were sent back to Henry, but I know that one of them came back and exhibited the same problem when it returned. I don't know what the mechanical problem was specifically, but I've only seen three of them on the range and they did the same thing. In the one case, the ammunition was factory. I know I won't buy one based on what I've seen.

Boolit Master
    I only have one Henry in my collection currently, the standard .22LR model that the current company started with ages ago. It has been faultless since day one. Great rifle in my experience.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast