Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leverguns and Vernier sights. Any Experiences?

Leverguns and Vernier sights. Any Experiences?

Anyone own a lever gun with a vernier style sight on it? I have one coming in the mail and was wondering if anyone has tips and tricks or just a story to tell?

Boolit Grand Master

For target shooting I love them. For hunting not so much.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I have Two.

A Win 94 in .38-55 24" bbl that I put a no-name Tang sight on in 1988. Got to keep the issue front sight. Shot it at 100 & 200yrds. Used a Full Power Load with Lyman #375449GC over IMR3031. Accuracy was 2 1/2"-3" at 100yrds, 4"-6" at 200yrds.

Marlin 1895CB with a Lyman Tang sight. Put it together about 1998. Issue front sight.
    Used Lyman #457330HPGC & #457493 Over Full Power Loads of IMR4198.
    Grouped 2"+ at 100yrds, never got around to 200yrds.

Make sure the sight locks into it's detent before each shot. I found my thumb would sometimes knock it loose under recoil.

Cast #375449 of Linotype & #457193 of #2, sized .380dia and .459dia respectively.
    The #457330HP I tried #2 & 20/1, #2 just punched thru the stacked wet newspapers.
    The 20/1 opened to dime size.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I have Two.

A Win 94 in .38-55 24" bbl that I put a no-name Tang sight on in 1988. Got to keep the issue front sight. Shot it at 100 & 200yrds. Used a Full Power Load with Lyman #375449GC over IMR3031. Accuracy was 2 1/2"-3" at 100yrds, 4"-6" at 200yrds.

Marlin 1895CB with a Lyman Tang sight. Put it together about 1998. Issue front sight.
    Used Lyman #457330HPGC & #457493 Over Full Power Loads of IMR4198.
    Grouped 2"+ at 100yrds, never got around to 200yrds.

Make sure the sight locks into it's detent before each shot. I found my thumb would sometimes knock it loose under recoil.

Cast #375449 of Linotype & #457193 of #2, sized .380dia and .459dia respectively.
    The #457330HP I tried #2 & 20/1, #2 just punched thru the stacked wet newspapers.
    The 20/1 opened to dime size.
    I have a lyman tang on my 1886 and I like it. I wanted a vernier for a long time and I finally have one coming.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a MVA sight on my Marlin 1895CB. I pretty much just use that rifle for smacking steel way out yonder and that sight is ideal for it. Not the handiest setup in the woods but would be fine from a blind as long as you pay attention and make sure the staff is in it's detent.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post
    I have a MVA sight on my Marlin 1895CB. I pretty much just use that rifle for smacking steel way out yonder and that sight is ideal for it. Not the handiest setup in the woods but would be fine from a blind as long as you pay attention and make sure the staff is in it's detent.

Eric
    Alright, il try it out once I get it. Some people hunt with peep sights but they don't like how you can't see alot of the target...

I like mine on my Win. 73 with 24" barrel but I take the sight disc out and use it as a Ghost ring faster on target for me. I use Ghost ring recever sights on all my rifles. so it's what i'm used to.

But a tang sight can be kind of in the way of your grip if you are in a Hurry.
    Last edited by frogleg; 08-07-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Some people hunt with peep sights but they don't like how you can't see a lot of the target.
    I hunt with aperture sights and really like that I can see so much with a large aperture in a small disk. Take a look at XS Sights for an excellent example.

Alright, il try it out once I get it. Some people hunt with peep sights but they don't like how you can't see alot of the target...
    Wow...now that's an interesting statement! Most folks I know find a peep sight to be the ideal hunting sight for rapid acquisition even in the woods. This is especially true as your eyes age and find it less easy to focus on notches in typical rear sights. Of course, now days we're into the age of red dots and optics, but for about the last 80 years peep sights have been standard issue on most military rifles and capable of good combat performance as well as precision target shooting. A vernier sight with all it's precision adjustments and flip up and down is better suited for shooting that buffalo way out there on the prairie or that target when lots of time for precision adjustment and aiming from a steady support is available. Don't sell peeps short!
    DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow...now that's an interesting statement! Most folks I know find a peep sight to be the ideal hunting sight for rapid acquisition even in the woods. This is especially true as your eyes age and find it less easy to focus on notches in typical rear sights. Of course, now days we're into the age of red dots and optics, but for about the last 80 years peep sights have been standard issue on most military rifles and capable of good combat performance as well as precision target shooting. A vernier sight with all it's precision adjustments and flip up and down is better suited for shooting that buffalo way out there on the prairie or that target when lots of time for precision adjustment and aiming from a steady support is available. Don't sell peeps short!
    DG
    Ya its a good sight for sure, but you can only see the target. People like to see alittle more. Especially with hunting. Kinda like different scopes. Some have small lenses that focus on a specific Point of aim. Others have larger, wider lenses to get a big full screen view of everything.

I like tang sights but others don't. I know sometimes people get weird happenings when looking through the small holes. There are videdos of people explaining that they cant use peeps because they see a hair like object through the circle. Theres nothing there, just their eyes playing tricks.

Ya its a good sight for sure, but you can only see the target.
    People like to see alittle more.
    Especially with hunting.

Experienced peepsight hunters usually unscrew the aperture from the sight and shoot very fast using the resultant "ghost ring".

It slows shooters down when they attempt to consciously center the front sight in the aperture ILO the proper method of simply looking through the aperture, focusing on the front sight & placing it "on target (beit paper or game).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I don't have a rifle with a vernier tang sight any more but put a Marbles tang sight on my Rossi 92
    For me with my eyes they are much more accurate than standard open sights.
    They almost feel like magic when your used to straining use open sights.
    We use scopes so much many people are unaware how sweet the peeps are.

I also shoot with Both eyes open give it a try it gives a lot more field of view.

Pietro has the right idea
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by frogleg View Post
    I also shoot with Both eyes open give it a try it gives a lot more field of view.

Pietro has the right idea
    I tried... But i see all crooked, how do you so it...

I have Venier sights for several lever guns. Also have tang sights too. You can't beat them for target shooting or shooting stationary game. I won't use one hunting anymore. I had one on a Rem RB 45/70. I jumped a deer and
    snap shot it at about 40yds. I got the sight almost under my eye brow. I don't know whether me or the deer was leaving a bigger blood trail. At least I survived the deer didn't. That cured me of using them in the woods. I do have one on a 32/20 it don't kick. If you are a stalker that shoots running game they are not the best. Another reason is the way you have to lay your thumb upside the stock. To me it's unnatural. I have them just to have the full meal deal for the old originals. My sights are originals too.

Boolit Master

I bought a Win 94 Trapper in 1981 when they first started making them again.

I put a Williams Fool Proof Peep Sight on it. It grouped into a 1/2" at 50yrds, into 1 1/4" at 100yrds with a Sierra 170gr FP. CALIF. has had an Hunting Regs Rule about J-B's only for Big Game since I got my first licence at 12yrs old in 1966.
    Shocked me to find that kind of accuracy in a 16" bbl'd carbine.

I used it to fill my Deer tag the following 3 years in a row. Very short range. 50-60ft was a long shot. HEAVY Brush, moved easy-like down the deer trails, jump them out of their beds. Took out the Disc. Didn't have a problem shooting with both eyes open, as I do at the range. Guess live game made a difference for me.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

They are not for me. I love reciever sights, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    They are not for me. I love reciever sights, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Those look decent to but they all require to make holes in the receiver sadly. Alot of original rifles already have them on though.

I tried... But i see all crooked, how do you so it...

You sound like you're not sighting with your master eye.

When my right-handed son had difficulty aiming/shooting as a youth (he's over 50 Y.O. now), I tested him right there @ the range and found that he has a left master eye.

He's been shooting left-handed ever since, except for handguns.

Here's a video about how to determine your master eye: https://www.allaboutvision.com/video/dominant-eye.htm

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    You sound like you're not sighting with your master eye.

When my right-handed son had difficulty aiming/shooting as a youth (he's over 50 Y.O. now), I tested him right there @ the range and found that he has a left master eye.

He's been shooting left-handed ever since, except for handguns.

Here's a video about how to determine your master eye: https://www.allaboutvision.com/video/dominant-eye.htm

Maybe, il give it a try with both eyes. Id have trouble shooting left handed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast