RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rugers not thinking right

Boolit Buddy
    Kimber has a plastic mainspring housing. Pretty cheesy for that high-priced, over-priced, no quality control, no final inspection, piece of Whatever!

Boolit Master
    took the words right outta my mouth.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadeye View Post
    I still have three old Remington Nylon 66 rifles one of which I use all the time so I don't have an problem with plastic guns. I just prefer wood and metal. Nothing like a nice piece of figured walnut attached to blued steel. IMHO
    I'm with you for the most part, however a couple years ago I bought a Stevens 311 16 gauge for 200 bucks with that Nylon 66 type of stock on it. Casehardened parts and blueing were nice on this gun, from the get go I was going to restock it, until I was bird hunting in the UP and I realized the thing was like toting nothing, I never weighed it until I got home a week later. Plugged a few upland birds with it and it only weighs a hair over 6 pounds. To get a nice 6 pound 16 gauge with wood, I'd have to give at least 10 times that much, so you know what it's still got the swirly plastic wood, if it breaks maybe I'll try to find some balsa wood laminate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ihmsa70 View Post
    Kimber has a plastic mainspring housing. Pretty cheesy for that high-priced, over-priced, no quality control, no final inspection, piece of Whatever!
    What model(s) are you referring to sir?

Boolit Master
    Oooh, I can see it now, people asking more for their all metal 10/22 than the gun was ever worth all because it has no plastic. What a boon for the after market seller. Never mind that plastics have been in common use on firearms and other products we use daily for over half a century and they have done nothing but improve in durability, cost savings and customer satisfaction since their introduction.

When Glock introduced it's polymer frame pistols, people hated it. 25 years later, the technology is no longer cutting edge, but state of the art, everyone markets a plastic pistol, and the type dominates the market.

So just what is wrong with plastic triggers, trigger housings and barrel bands? It is a taste thing, and while each is certainly entitled to suit themselves on that note; Ruger has done nothing more than any other manufactuer has done; using a lower cost material that meets the same performance demands as the older material which inproves their bottom line and allows them to remain competitive and stay in business. Gee, I wonder what people thought when some started to use wood instead of stones to build houses.

Which would you rather see, plastic barrel bands and trigger guards or no 10/22's? Seems everyone screamed about their using aluminum on the grip frames for the Blackhawk, but it don't seem to have stopped the sales.....

Boolit Master
    I have a nice Savage 30-06 with a nice metal trigger guard. Cosmolined the crap out of it, put it away. 3 years later there's a rust cancer on the trigger guard.
    Having said that, I can see some advantages in some plastic parts on a wapon. I just draw the line at plastic BARRELS!................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master
    On target there Heavy Lead. I take a Nylon 66 with me as an around the farm gun. It is very light and makes a good accurate pest eliminator here in Indiana as we don't have much in the way of big problem critters. They don't get passed around when you are showing off guns to friends, but I think in critters killed over the years they beat everything else I have combined. A game warden friend of mine refered to them as "the poachers friend".
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    What model(s) are you referring to sir?
    All the 3 and 4" bbl models. Don't know about the 5"ers.

Smile

Maybe it's an "old guy" thing, but REAL guns are made of highly polished and blued carbon steel and wood!

I almost said walnut, but I do have a couple of handguns, and a few rifles now that I think about it, with other types of hardwood stocks.
    Regards,

WE

Moderator Emeritus

I recently sent Ruger an e-mail bemoaning the "cheapening" of their product, aluminum, plastic etc, and told them about scratches, buggered screws etc. on my latest BH 45.
    They offered to send me new screws.
    I have been a big Ruger fan since since I bought my first SBH in 71.

It's very doubtfull I will buy another new Ruger.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12