Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lcr .357

Boolit Buddy

Lcr .357

Just was given one from a family member getting out of gun ownership completely . I've never owner a snubby any hints on grip etc. I've been shooting pistol for many decades.
    Last edited by ravelode; 10-14-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

e ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Shoot light .38's in it! We have them come through our Handgun Safety Classes just about every month, and they shoot a lot better with .38's, mostly because like any light handgun, they hurt with full load magnums in them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I’m pretty partial to the factory Houge tamers myself. My carry load, for now at least, is 110grn JHP’s and they are a lot more manageable than the 158grn fmg’s I bought for practice! I need to cast and work up some loads with the new molds I have now, I’m thinking a 146grn wad cutter in .357 should be decent! But this is what I could get at the time I bought my LCR, 4yrs ago.
    I’ll have to look at the wood options, but not sure I’d want to shoot my “little nasty” without some padding! These things are mean!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    Hold on TIGHT!

You have a few grip choices ...

If you want to shoot the Magnums in it, and like a full three finger grip, and want rubber to cushion the recoil that feels like you forgot to let go of the grenade get a pair of Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips ... makes range time more bearable!

If your want tiny to fit in your pocket, two fingers at most ... look at the Houge bantam boot grips, harder more plasticy than the factory "Tamer", a tad smaller too ... its what I carry mine in my pocket holster ...

Some wood choices too ... I haven't tried them, only the three rubber ones listed above ...

We got a set of the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips($17.71 US +shipping) for ours and it made a world of difference. Not only for the missus, since it is really "her" pistol, but for me when I want to shoot it. Having that third(little) finger to help with the grip is worth every penny & it is still an easy carry pistol.

I have been loading reduced load rounds for her to practice with , and it helped her with holding it as well, with her carpal tunnel & hand health issues. I also did the same with .357 rounds for her and although it is a bit snappier, she doesn't refuse to shoot them in that light revolver.

The one we have is pretty accurate for a snubby too, IMO. I actually like it more than she does & am thinking of getting her a different pistol ( likely semi auto) & talking her out of the one we have.

Anyway, I think you will like the larger grips as suggested, but who knows...Everyone is different. It should be a fun pistol for ya to mess around with, no matter what.

G'luck! & Enjoy!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I have the Smith M @P 340. It is about the same weight. For some reason, the recoil feels more tame with a really firm grip. I usually let my revolvers roll with a limp wrist if they come with a heavy recoil. For my 357, I don't let any roll get by. When I shoot with that style, I welcome the recoil--maybe a frame of mind more than anything else. It is kind of like what I imagine it would be like to ride bronco! Grab on and hang on.

Boolit Master
    I carry a little Smith 442 no-lock, just a standard Airweight J-Frame. Even in .38 Special, the right load is pretty ferocious in this little gun. I finally got my buddy converted to the dark side! He was carrying a Glock 23C which is a great gun, he shoots it well but he wanted a smaller, lighter, and less obtrusive daily. He and others were a little skeptical about my claim of the J-Frame carrying so easily you forget its there! Using a Sticky pocket holster. He tracked down a S&W 340PD and took a lightly used example for a great price. I didn't lie, he's amazed at how well it carries. He's happy, im jealous! I can say you have undoubtedly earned your Man Card if you can fire a full cylinder of .357 Mag in it! Wow that is an experience you won't soon forget!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    I didn't realize the LCR was so "heavy"! Nevermind--that extra 7 ounces should really soak up the recoil. I would start shooting buffalo bore 180s. No problem!!!!

Boolit Master

e ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    ...lots of smart people on this forum. Very cool indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I didn't realize the LCR was so "heavy"! Nevermind--that extra 7 ounces should really soak up the recoil. I would start shooting buffalo bore 180s. No problem!!!!
    I’ll throw $5 as a starter, to watch the video of you shooting the whole box in, say, 30min?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I have the CT laser grips on my 357 LCR. It fits in my pocket in a Mika pocket holster.....my preferred method of carry. Recoil is subjective. I don't find it abusive. I only fire magnums in mine. Have two 642's for the specials. Assuming they are DAO, a firm grip would be the norm. Since we are reloaders, practice loads can be tailored for reduced recoil. Less powder and or lighter bullet would be appropriate. BTW, I do load NOE's 180 RPFP solid, on occasion. With AA#7 powder, recoil isn't all the bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030397.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	205875

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Nice collection of Revo's there Winelover!

I gave up having a cushy grip on my 442 for some nice Altamont's in sacrifice of a little more slim & trim and the increased room for getting speedloaders in. No recoil absorbtion on it but it works and looks classy! My carry load is a 100gr. Lehigh XD monolithic copper solid/fluid transfer design with 7.5gr of Silhouette behind it. It's a pretty darn warm little firecracker! I plan on putting an XS Big Dot front sight on it at some point. The cylinder release is an SDM part, not made for the J-frame but a little fitting made it fit perfectly. I did chamfer the edges a bit, the super sharp checkering/knurling extended to the edges and it was sharp enough you would be missing some chunks of skin upon firing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	442 No-Lock.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	205951
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 10-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Finally shot it Yesterday has two loads with me .357Mag 125 gr. "J" with 9.7 grs Power Pistol and .38 Special with 125 gr "J" with 4.8 grs. of Titegroup. The .38's were controllable and not too bad just one cylinder full of the .357 almost made me want to quit shooting it ouch. Now I have to cast up some 158 gr. SWC and work up a good practice load

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wish I could only powders I have right now are Titegroup, 20/28, 540, Red Dot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I’ll throw $5 as a starter, to watch the video of you shooting the whole box in, say, 30min?
    I've got an LCR in 357....I'll give this a go . Was my first gun I bought myself! It is not a comfortable gun to shoot but tolerable for its use case. On the same note my LCP isn't really that fun to shoot either.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

7[/url]
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ravelode View Post
    Wish I could only powders I have right now are Titegroup, 20/28, 540, Red Dot
    I just ran a ladder test of Red Dot in reduced loads for the missus in her LCR .357 a lil while back. Week ago maybe. Used 2.1gr. to start & 2.9gr. to finish at .1 gr. each step. For 'her' LCR using 38sp. off bench, the 2.2gr., the 2.5gr., & the 2.9 grain were the most accurate at 15 yds..( using 148gr. WCs & 158gr SWC boolits at 2.5 - 2.9gr, IIRC...)
    I also had some .357 rounds loaded up with higher loads and still reduced, but had to leave, so I did not get to work on them.

I forgot my chrony that day, so I only shot for accuracy. Maybe in a couple days, as I am doing a ladder with Chrony for another member, (MAGA) in another topic using Red Dot in an SR9, since he has a 9mm & would like to know about Red Dot in that pistol with 148gr & 158gr. boolits, I will do the chrony on those same loads of the Red dot in the LCR(.357) & share them with ya. If you are interested, of course..

The other topic is here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mm-147gr-158gr
    Last edited by JBinMN; 10-18-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: forgot somethin
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast