Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: S&W 625-3 Showed Up Unexpectedly

S&W 625-3 Showed Up Unexpectedly

I went to a match last weekend and found something I'd been wanting for quite awhile. Actually, almost 40 years. I once owned a S&W Model 25-2 that I foolishly sold, and have since wanted to replace it. I wasn't able to find a 25-2 for a reasonable price, but I did find this 625-3, which is unfired, has Crimson Trace Laser Grips, plus the original Hogue grips, and 21 full moon clips. The owner even threw in the 6 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense ammunition......

I haven't fired it yet, and haven't dragged out my pin gauges to check the cylinder throats, since other things have kept me busy, but it's going to get a trial by fire this coming week........

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

ooooooooo..........

Nice gun, looks brand new.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

There's no indication it's ever been fired, but has a faint turn line, which I contributed to before buying it.... I probably paid too much, but "want" overcame "need". I paid $750.00 for it, which the BB of Gun Values says is market value for the gun alone, but with the Crimson Trace grips and the moon clips, I think I came out OK on the deal.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Fred,
    IMHO you did very well.
    Enjoy,
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master

The Model 25.
    Smith & Wessons best kept secret!!!

I know it's a 625 only stainless steel.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I've kicked myself ever since selling my 25-2 back around 1980. I'm hoping this one will fill the void the 25-2 left.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    There's no indication it's ever been fired, but has a faint turn line, which I contributed to before buying it.... I probably paid too much, but "want" overcame "need". I paid $750.00 for it, which the BB of Gun Values says is market value for the gun alone, but with the Crimson Trace grips and the moon clips, I think I came out OK on the deal.

Fred
    Doesn't sound too much for me especially for one you want. If your happy with the purchase then what you paid for it is just right. I think you got a great buy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    The Model 25.
    Smith & Wessons best kept secret!!!

I know it's a 625 only stainless steel.
    I passed on one at auction for $650 which had an easily fixed star. Kicking myself ever since and I'd love one

Great find Fred, glad you've gotten to finally scratch an itch that's been after you so long. I was in the same boat for about 30 years. I bought one of the Model of 1989's when they hit the market, and fell in love with a 5" model. At one point, finances became an issue and I parted with it. About 7 or 8 years back, I lucked into a Mountain Gun 625 I have no intentions of ever parting with.

When the old 'If you could only have one handgun' raises it's head for debate, I default to the 625. And here is why. We can pick a light load for plinking or dispatching varmints around the place. As a defense handgun, although some would argue against it due to size and weight it'd be hard to beat, especially in regards to a speed reload (if needed). And last but far from least, loaded with a good, wide meplat boolit in 45 Auto Rim brass it will handle anything I care to pursue in my neck o' the woods.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I think you did quite well!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Also on my must own list; I think you did well if I ever see one in that price range I'll be bringing it home..

I have an old mold for my Master Caster that is a true Keith design .45 bullet that drops at 235 grains. I believe it was probably for the .45 AR cartridge, but I'm anxious to give it a try in this 625. If I ever get caught up on stuff getting ready for winter, I'm going to give this gun a workout with several different loads and see what it likes the most.

The seller was asking $800.00 for it, and I offered $700.00, so we met in the middle and were both happy........

Fred

Boolit Master

Get some 45 AR brass to work up some accuracy loads with. In my experience with a 25-2 and a 625 Mountain Gun, the AR brass is more accurate. I attribute this to the rimmed case aligning better, with more consistent headspacing in the cylinder, than the ACP cases in clips.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of those and I love it. I hope you will also. Its fun to shoot your "auto" ammo in a wheel gun. There is a cheap de-mooning tool for the 45 and you may want to look into a
    B.M.T. Mooner if you are going to shoot a lot of rounds in a day. I have mooners in 9mm and 45 and they make a world of difference once you get the trick of using them.

Boolit Grand Master

My two 625's (a 5" 625-6 and a 4" 625-8 JM Special) are two of my most favored sixguns! I have shot mine thousands of times without issue. Nothing but my home cast bullets are used in mine. Both are terrifically accurate (well under 1" at 25 yards off a rest) and I term "user friendly" due to my consistent scoring with these two. I use a variety of loads for different purposes.

The OP should be VERY happy with his new revolver...

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    Those are fine guns, Fred. I think you will enjoy it.

I have a 625-4 5” and a 625-6 4” which started out as a full-lug 5” but now wears a Mountain Gun barrel. Both are great shooters.

The Auto Rim is a good alternative if you don’t want to mess with the moon clips, but I have quit using the AR brass and now use only the moon clips. Nothing wrong with the AR case, just an old guy downsizing and streamlining

Accurate Molds number 45-200E works well in both the 1911 and 625. It sure loads a lot faster and easier into the 625 than my old favorite, the H&G #68.

The BMT Mooner tool works great with the H&G #68, but not very well with the 270gr Ohaus SWC - but it wasn’t meant for that boolit anyway.

Another good tool is the Mooncliptool www.mooncliptool.com I have no affiliation with either tool other than being a satisfied customer of both.

Have fun!

I have the mooner, demooner tools for my S&W Model 610. I haven't had a chance to try them yet for the .45 acp, but they may work for both calibers. I'll just have to get them out and try to know for sure. The tools make the moon clips so much easier to use, and are easier on the fingers.

Fred

I have a 625-8 and it is Real fun to shoot, it has the perfect balance of power with out too much recoil for double action accuracy. Did I say i really Like it?