Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a little story about the u.s.p.s.

Boolit Master

a little story about the u.s.p.s.

i bought from a fellow member 18 boxes of speer 44 cal. 240 bullets on sept. 15th this year.

the seller couldn't get all 18 boxes in a fixed rate box due to the weight so he put 15 boxes in a
    large freight box and 3 boxes in a small freight box.

within a couple days he shipped from california and sent me the tracking number.
    eager to get them i watched the tracking progress.

well...the box made it to their main hub in california and that's where everything came to a halt.

5 days pass from shipping date...then 10 ...then 15...then 20 ...then 25 days have gone by.

still the tracking said "delayed in transit".

we both thought that it was stolen and decided to file a claim on the insurance.

on the 27th day ... lo and behold a 64 pound package came to me ...yup it's them!

the seller did a great job of packing...he made a crate out of plywood that fits in the postal cardboard box packed the bullets and nailed the lid shut.

when i got it there was a ton of clear tape on the box ...which i cut through to get to the crate.

the crate had the lid pried off and the nails bent flat over!

why would u.s.p.s. take it upon themselves to open and examine the content of any mail?
    if there was gold coins in there i doubt i would have ever got the package!

this is a first for me...how about you?

Boolit Master

I filed a tracking request on an insured package 5 months ago and continued to receive a monthly letter from USPS stating they are doing everything they can to locate the package, that is until I gave a copy of my last monthly letter to the local postmaster to which I received an additional letter within a week stating they are sorry, can't find it. Showed that to the postmaster and she said I could file a claim. I told her I might not live long enough for the matter to be resolved.

Boolit Man
    That seems to be the typical story with USPS... granted fedex is not much better. Pay for two day shipping Ann's your lucky if it shows up in 2weeks. Ups is the only way to go imho

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Have you ever noticed how efficiently they deliver junk mail, circulars, and advertisements? Even political mailings magically appear.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I shipped a sword to a collector in the Republik of Kalifornia a couple of years ago and he insisted that it be shipped "Overnight Express Mail" and insured - which I was more than happy to do as it was on his dime. I packed it securely and shipped it as desired - when I took it to the PO, I was told it would be there the next day. (from MI) - Well, it did get there but about four days later! The fellow keep calling me form CA and I had sent him the tracking number - there wasn't much else I could do. Once I knew he had the package safe in hand, I refunded the shipping/insurance charges to him as I felt that was only fair - then I went back to the PO and asked to speak to the Post Master and took him to task about the "Overnight Delivery" - the PO's high charge for that service and his reply was, "Well he got it didn't he?". I then demanded my shipping/insurance costs be refunded since they didn't live up to their end of it. He gave me all kinds of excuses about having to clear it with his supervisors, etc. and I politely stated that that was what he was being paid to do. It took a few days but I got all the shipping/insurance fees back.

There are a lot of good postal employees - but just as many who aren't like any profession. It makes no sense at all why your package was opened but I suppose they have the right to "inspect" - but what would trigger the inspection? My guess is that someone got curious and as you say, if it were gold coins, you'd never have seen them. Like all the Government Agencies, the USPS needs a good "housecleaning" and fewer "regulations" to run efficiently.

I've had packages get opened up and gone through. They were never packaged back up as well but the contents got there. I've also received a broken open empty box that was supposed to have a barrel blank inside of it......... With that in mind when I ship stuff I make sure it packaged as if some angry worker will be throwing the box at a concrete wall trying to get the rebound into a bin. The barrels in these two pics were further wrapped to protect the finish in transit before the lids were screwed on. If you make a wood box be sure to write the shipping info on the wood box in case the cardboard one is damaged.

Boolit Master
    They DO inspect. MY ma sent me some magazines that she thought I would like. She sent them as "Media" mail, which is an inexpensive way to send CD's Books, etc... Caveat is... They cannot contain ANY advertising.

So, I get a "postage due" card from the PO saying I owed $9.40. I went down there & the Postal worker explained the situation. I asked her how they knew they were magazines instead of just folders with papers in them. She said that, "We inspect things like this & we know they are magazines. Look for yourself." I looked at her & then opened the package. It was magazines & on closer inspection I also noticed that there was an extra layer of clear packing tape that was on the package. It had been opened. I paid the $$ & left.

Later I told my Ma not to send any more magazines after that...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I insured and mailed a varmint caller from SC to my brother in OK. About three weeks later I get back the lid to my cardboard box with a note saying contents found missing USPS. What a surprise right after they stole the items I shipped someone found an empty box. When I made an insurance claim they would only pay 75% of the value since it was used...of course they had zero problem taking the money for insurance above their self imposed value.

Boolit Master
    Whats that old saying?Ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.They get the mine.WE get the shaft.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Monday, the 9th, I got a notification message from Amazon that my LEE .41 Swiss dies were delivered. The USPS tracking confirmed the same, delivered, placed in mailbox. I got home, nothing, empty mailbox, I encircled the entire house but did wasn't there. So either some dirtbag stole it or the exquisite USPS service in my neighborhood screwed me. It wasn't the 1st time and I seriously doubt the last. I'm putting a security cam system up.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I bought a Mag - 10 shotgun from Texas. I discovered that it was broke internally and the seller said she would refund or "REPAIR", at there cost. Boy was I dumb. I said , No i will send it back for a refund. Shipped it dissembled and packed really good. APRIL 14, this year. Lost. Finally found in Atlanta lost package center August 28. Contacted 1 month later by the 2 Postal Inspectors . I got snotty at last and faxed a copy of my F.F.L. to her. Well here we are 2 weeks later and no gun yet. I sent her a nasty note telling them I could have used a Burro or Donkey and got it here by now. I also said stand at the on ramp north bound I - 75 and hold up a sign wanting a DRUG COURIER GOING TO CARBONDALE , ILLINOIS and I would gladly pay them and drive over and pick it up... I NOW WILL BE PUNISHED BY THEM....

Boolit Master
    I was just trying to help my local, VERY SMALL post office as it is very handy . I have $ 705.00 in it now with there Priority mail charges, ( $ 28.00 something) and then they lost it. OF course NO INSURANCE. I thought with that high of charges it was insured.. Boy - O - BOY what a "OLD AND STUPID", I am. The U.P.S. boys unloaded a rifle up the road here at The 3 - ABN Head quarters. Religious Organization. Big Time. A guy signed for it, Git ready for this name boys, P - SEED.......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyguy95 View Post
    That seems to be the typical story with USPS... granted fedex is not much better. Pay for two day shipping Ann's your lucky if it shows up in 2weeks. Ups is the only way to go imho

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
    UPS has sent my stuff on a 2 week cross country tour, they have delivered to the wrong address, and they have flat out refused to ship something when I followed their policy to the letter. They're almost as bad as FedEx who "lost" a box of ammo half way to it's destination.

USPS seems to give me far less trouble, though they are not perfect by any means.

Boolit Master

After one month, I received the USPS insurance money from their automated destruction of a WELL-packaged and fiber taped SFRB of 450 x 30-06 pulled bullets shipped to another reloader. I repaid the purchaser 100%, I felt that only fair, it certainly wasn't his fault that the shipment didn't arrive. The USPS kept the bullets - somewhere - so I was out both payment for merchandise as well as the merchandise. I hope my 450 bullets clogged up their package destruction system for awhile - picking them out one at a time. so sorry if that held up your packages.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I was told by my carrier one time several years ago that a heavy small flat rate box can fall through the rollers on the old conveyer systems if they are not turned long ways.
    I had a box delayed that no one wanted to bend over and get it from under one of those conveyors.
    I guess all those high paid union employees of the postal service are protected by the union and they really don't have to do their jobs. Guess that's why they bring in Part Time workers and take overtime away from some of them in some areas. Part timers work sundays delivering amazon packages I'm told.
    My buddy tells me now they have these new gps scanners to scan priority bxs, they all are tracked, timed and questioned about long delays at a stop. Overtime in his area has been cut down drastically.
    Guess all this doesn't help us get our mail any better or faster ! Hummm....

Mike

Now don't be pickin on yhem union boys or you will be hearin from them
    Last edited by 458mag; 10-15-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Master

Sold a box of brass to a member here on 9/12 - it has disappeared , PO says it was "delayed" on 9/15. Can't file for the insurance at the PO, they do not even have a paper form. The online deal won't work for me as the "SELECT" buttons are unresponsive(Windows 10 maybe ?) There's a number to call to get a paper form mailed to you, but it's robo-voice never gets to a point you can ask for one - and you only have 60 days to file and can't file for 30 of those AFTER the send date. Sent the member a refund, sure ain't his fault. I'll probably have to eat the $$ but their system sucks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Sold a box of brass to a member here on 9/12 - it has disappeared , PO says it was "delayed" on 9/15. Can't file for the insurance at the PO, they do not even have a paper form. The online deal won't work for me as the "SELECT" buttons are unresponsive(Windows 10 maybe ?) There's a number to call to get a paper form mailed to you, but it's robo-voice never gets to a point you can ask for one - and you only have 60 days to file and can't file for 30 of those AFTER the send date. Sent the member a refund, sure ain't his fault. I'll probably have to eat the $$ but their system sucks.
    Here is a link to their PDF file to handle such things. The section 1.6 ( in particular 1.6.1, 1.6.2, & 1.6.3) is pertinent to your claim, but you may want to read down to it from the top.
    https://pe.usps.com/Archive/PDF/DMMA...130728/609.pdf

Here is a link to the form(PS Form 1000) where you can print it out:
    http://kslibassoc.org/pdf/fileauspsclaim.pdf

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

My last negative experience with them was a 14 day delivery of a handgun, FFL to FFL, that was supposed to be a 2 day priority mail delivery from Banning, CA, to Shed, OR. The gun disappeared in Portland, OR. I phoned the USPS Customer Service in Wash., DC and explained the situation politely, but enumerated a long list of who I was going to call next. It was suddenly found and delivered 24 hr. later. Package had been opened and then heavily taped. Fortunately the gun was o.k.

Boolit Master

I wonder - did any of you above folks contact your Congressperson about the USPS problem? It is my opinion that when a Congressperson sends a letter to some fed agency asking why they are screwing over a constituent, results happen pretty dang fast! That would be my second action, after chatting with a local USPS official.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast