Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Need still more computer advise

Boolit Master

Need still more computer advise

Here is the deal, I have several older desk top computers. The one I run almost all the time is a quad core running windows 7 professional edition. I have a single core, a dual core and two i-3s. this computer (the one I am on now the quad core) is hooked directly hooked to the modem with a cable. The modem is from Century Link and is wireless capable. So this what I want to do, I want to configure one of the other computers to connect wireless to the modem. But I don't know what I have to buy to do the connecting for me. Is there some card I can buy and plugin to the mother board? What about soft ware? I just don't enough to get started so I need some help. Trigger warning: If you help, I may come back to you whining about the last thing I did and it didn't work!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

USB dongle is cheapest, I did for one. But I changed to powerline adapter a couple of months ago. Two parts to this. One plugs in near modem and cables to modem, other is plugged in near the other computer and cables to it. So it acts like network cable connection. Several times faster than Wi-Fi. Especially from one end of the house to the other and in basement. Got from eBay cheap as refurbished gigabit unit. Dongle from Amazon if you want to go with one of those.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    USB dongle is cheapest, I did for one. But I changed to powerline adapter a couple of months ago. Two parts to this. One plugs in near modem and cables to modem, other is plugged in near the other computer and cables to it. So it acts like network cable connection. Several times faster than Wi-Fi. Especially from one end of the house to the other and in basement. Got from eBay cheap as refurbished gigabit unit. Dongle from Amazon if you want to go with one of those.
    I second this opinion.. cheap and easy way to do it

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

This is the one I got. eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182385115492

Some actually transmitted a wifi signal also, but are several times more.

If your modem is wifi capable all you need is a wifi adapter for the other systems. They come is several forms so pay attention to which 802.11 version your modem supports. A usb adapter is probably the easiest for you but there are types to fit the slots in the systems depending on what type they are. Older systems can have one or two types and newer systems can have another. Since identifying the slot can be a problem for you the usb adapter may be the best option. From there you would have to log in to your router and find the WIFI network name and password to connect the other systems. Your internet provider can help you there. Please do change the wifi name and password as most default ones are known and easily broken in to.

The wire line options suggested are sort of a freaky abomination in the computer world and most IT guys don't really like them. Much simpler to avoid adding a layer and just use a wifi solution.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I run this one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

You might want to check and see if any of your computers are WIFI capable the way they came from the factory! ALL of mine are and the oldest is running Windows Vista! If they are look on the back of the router and you should see a network name and password. input them into the WIFI connection app and you are GTG. On a Windows 7 operating system there's a button in the lower right corner of the screen that goes directly to the WIFI connection app.