MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle brake question

Boolit Bub

Muzzle brake question

Ok, so I have never had anything with a threaded barrel nor have I ever really looked very closely at anything with a muzzle brake. I just bought a rifle that has a threaded barrel, and just happen to have a muzzle brake with the same threads. Don't even remember where it came from. But my question is, I see that most new muzzle brakes come with either a crush washer or jamb nut of some sort. I don't have either and can't seem to find either locally. Are these truly required? I can order one online, but it's killing me to have a shiny brand new gun just sitting there staring at me. While I could go out and shoot it without the muzzle brake, I'd prefer to not have to sight it in twice. Just hoping someone has some useful tips, ideas, or suggestions.

Boolit Master
    My muzzle brakes are just torqued down, no washers. To shoot withour the brake get a nut(s) with the same thread to protect the threads.

Boolit Bub
    The barrel came with a thread protector. But was more interested in trying it out with the muzzle brake. So just torquing it down doesn't hurt anything? I just assumed there must be some reason for the crush washers and such.

Boolit Grand Master

The spacers or crush washers are used to index the brake. If you don't need to index it you don't need them.

Boolit Bub
    Good deal, that's kind of what I was hoping to hear, but figured it was wishful thinking. Now, to show my ignorance with muzzle brakes, this has slots cut into it that cover approx 50% of the muzzle brake. I'm guessing you want the solid half facing down with the ports facing up so that it pushes the muzzle down when shooting?
    Last edited by BlackIce05; 10-13-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Banned
    I hope your brake is for the caliber the gun is!

Boolit Bub
    Actually, that was my next question. It's for a 308, where I'm putting it on a 7mm mag. Obviously the bullet will go through the hole, and I expect it'll lose some of it's effect due to being over sized, but would it negatively affect anything?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackIce05 View Post
    Good deal, that's kind of what I was hoping to hear, but figured it was wishful thinking. Now, to show my ignorance with muzzle brakes, this has slots cut into it the cover approx 50% of the muzzle brake. I'm guessing you want the solid half facing down with the ports facing up so that it pushes the muzzle down when shooting?
    That is the reason for the crush washer,so you can index it.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

youll need to index it. that can be accomplished with machining, crush washers or peel washers. machined to index properly is the best looking.

Boolit Bub
    Ok, so my assumption on the index of it is correct then? If so, finger tight is about 180 out. Not sure how tight to tighten it down, if half a turn past finger tight is too tight?

Boolit Master

finger tight, plus about an 1/8th of a turn is usually plenty.

Boolit Bub
    Dang, that means I'll have to get a spacer or crush washer after all. That's too bad, I like the way it looks without them.

Boolit Master
    My sincere apologies if this is a dumb question, but you're sure that this is a muzzle break and not a flash hider yes ?
    It's just that "slots" make me think more of flash hiders, while "holes" are more often associated with muzzle brakes.
    Just wanted to make sure is all; Best regards,

One other little tid bit. Make sure you ahve your ears covered when you shoot that thing. A 7MM Mag is going to have a serious report and it woudl normally be directed down range away from you.

The Brake will direct the blast to the sides and you will notice it, and so will anyone next to you big time.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Honestly I'm not sure of anything. I'll hunt around and see if I can find a picture online similar to it. I'm very familiar with 7mm Mag, this is my 2nd, the 1st I've been hunting with for 15 years or so, but it doesn't like the bullets I want it to like, and honestly I just couldn't pass up a brand new rifle for $199.

Apparently it is a flash hider...http://core15rifles.com/308-a2-flash-hider.html

that looks exactly like it. lol guess I should have done a bit more looking, it was labeled as a muzzle brake so that's what I went on. On that note, any suggestions for a decent muzzle brake?

Boolit Grand Master

Do a search on "muzzle brake tests" Rule of the thumb the bigger and baffles the more effective. I like the Vais brakes http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/ as a good compromise but you have to confirm that the threads match. Above 22 cal you get several different sizes and pitches.

My next brake will be a https://fortismfg.com/muzzles/muzzle...2-red-brake-ss for an AR10.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-13-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    youll need to index it. that can be accomplished with machining, crush washers or peel washers. machined to index properly is the best looking.
    Just to toss the wrench in you can use shims too.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Bub
    That RED brake looks interesting. So would putting a brake designed for .308 on a 7mm mag have any negative affect on anything? It appears the AR10 commonly has the same threads as mine, and is much more prevalent.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIce05 View Post
    So would putting a brake designed for .308 on a 7mm mag have any negative affect on anything?.
    I don't have a clue. Best would be to give a couple of manufactures a call. I have thoughts on the subject but never having tested I would just be guessing.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-13-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Some of the oddball calibers it's common to use a different caliber brake. Quite often the 6.8 spc crowd used a 30 cal brake with no ill effects.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast