RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Muzzle brake question

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The spacers or crush washers are used to index the brake. If you don't need to index it you don't need them.
    This....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    All I have to say about muzzle breaks is "my ears are still ringing and hurting"

Thankyou Mr short barrel muzzled braked 308 shooter sitting down next to me and blowing my hearing to bits.

I think I'll buy a 50bmg and have the perfect angled break to transfer all the energy to your ears and sneak up beside you and pass the love back to you and your mates.

Boolit Grand Master

Each brake will come with a set of specs to ream to the calibre desired. Most are at least 20 thou over bore diameter. Make sure your brake is reamed to spec. If it is a brake with no holes on the bottom, the best kind, make sure the holes all go up here is where you either trim it in the lathe or use the peel washer, available from Brownell's.

Banned

Here's something interesting that silencerCo Maxim 50 is available for sell, but what is cool about it there is no $200 tax license, no ATF involvement at all, and all you have to be is 18 or older to buy one.

There are a bunch of legal challenges to the Maxim 50. I am not sure it will survive.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    There are a bunch of legal challenges to the Maxim 50. I am not sure it will survive.
    Boggles my mind it's for black powder!!!

Boolit Bub
    As much as I would love to have a suppressor or 3, that's just not going to happen until they get rid of the stamp or license or whatever, and they become a lot more reasonably priced, which I hope happens some time in the near future. I would love to go squirrel hunting with a suppressed 22, but I won't hold my breath. I can see where the noise from a muzzle brake would be obnoxious at a range. But there's no range around me, I can shoot 300 yards basically from my front yard and 650 with a short trip to my hayfield. When shooting a rifle for precision, there's only ever 1 person shooting at a time, so I don't see noise as being a factor.
    Last edited by BlackIce05; 10-23-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Banned
    Enjoy reading posts from folks who drive $50,000 trucks, have a 50" flat screen TV, $1000s in guns but are to impatient and cheap to get a suppressor.

My Savage 22 w/WRA subs is as quit as a bb gun and shoots 10 in 1" @50 yds. Can't imagine a better rig for Mr. Bushy tail !

Boolit Bub
    I don't see how that's helpful to the conversation at all.
    Last edited by BlackIce05; 10-23-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    Enjoy reading posts from folks who drive $50,000 trucks, have a 50" flat screen TV, $1000s in guns but are to impatient and cheap to get a suppressor.

My Savage 22 w/WRA subs is as quit as a bb gun and shoots 10 in 1" @50 yds. Can't imagine a better rig for Mr. Bushy tail !
    i dont drive a $50,000 truck, more like old pontiac. so you wanna keep running your mouth, or just head back to the closet?!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    i dont drive a $50,000 truck, more like old pontiac. so you wanna keep running your mouth, or just head back to the closet?!!
    There are some who get so eat up with the suppressor thing, they think everything should have one. Go ahead, if the paperwork for just buying a gun isn't bad enough, go apply for a suppressor permit, and EACH suppressor has to have a permit, then sit back and wait while the Feds check how many dumps you take every day. Then pay the permit fee. All for what????????

Boolit Master

oh, i think a suppressor is a great idea if you can justify the cost and hassle. i just dont like attitude from people telling you what you have or what you should do. no time for that ****!

Banned
    "Paranoia runs deep, into your life it will creep"

The Feds already know everything about you and stuff you forgot about.

Adding a suppressor (or 10) will not make you anymore interesting to the black helo gang than you already are.

Less BS getting a can from the Feds than getting a handgun license in any big blue state city. Also a shorter wait.

Amazing how people who don't own one are the experts on what it takes to own one.

The bill making them easier to get will never pass in a congress that probably won't even pass a tax cut AND where the Dems could well retake the Senate in 18'.

Took me 11 months and it's in the rear view. Nice to plink w/my 22 with no ear protection as well as enjoy the reduced noise and recoil in my 1911s and centerfire rifles up to/including 300 WinMag.

It's a choice, no one is telling you what you must do, just pointing out the positive aspects of ownership.

Boolit Master

amazing someone telling you that your worried about the feds, when no one said a word about that.

Boolit Bub
    lol I know right? I also can't find where anyone claimed to be an expert on suppressors. Who said I was going to buy a handgun in a "big blue city state"? I would love to have a suppressor, but I already give Uncle Sam enough money, he doesn't need a penny more. If the bill doesn't pass, then I probably won't get one. I like the idea of them, but the pros just don't outweigh the cost for me. I'm sorry if that bothers you. Also, just for the record, my "$50,000 truck" is a 91 dodge pickup I bought for $300 that was on it's way to the crusher. This is getting to be almost as bad as a blue vs green vs red thread. I didn't realize muzzle brakes were so controversial.

Boolit Master

I thread a lot of barrels for brakes and cans and have noticed in the last couple years there is an increase in cans. As for a quiet 22, you don't need a can, just a long barrel and standard velocity ammo. They do make quiet 22 ammo but it says on the box not to shoot it in a barrel that is over 24". My 29" barrel sounds about like a Daisy BB gun.

Boolit Bub
    I didn't realize a longer barrel would make it quieter. That's interesting. I have a 10/22 I'm wanting to put an aftermarket barrel on, guess I need to focus on the longer ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    Where did you ever get that idea ?

I don't traverse or go to slave states.
    I did not know that cans are excluded from NFA notification requirements when crossing state lines.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...th-a-silencer/

Harold asks:

What are legalities of/procedures for traveling with an NFA device? What, if any, notifications to the ATF or local LE do you need to make if you are traveling with a can? I’ve heard mixed stories of guys having to tell their local ATF Offices that they are traveling with an SBR or a can but others say that’s not needed. What’s the deal?
    Here’s the caveat: I AM NOT A LAWYER and this is not legal advice. However, I will happily impart to you the sum total of my understanding of the situation based on my own travels with cans and conversations with industry experts .
    . .
    In general, when items registered under the National Firearms Act cross state lines the ATF needs to be notified. There’s a quick and easy form that needs to be submitted to the ATF called the 5320.20 or “Application to Transport Interstate or Temporarily Export Certain NFA Items.” Click here to get the form. This usually takes about a week to get back from the ATF. The form requires an address for the destination as well as the means used for transportation.
    The good news is that for people who frequently cross state lines with NFA items, you can specify a date range for the travel. One of my friends who lives in VA but uses a range in West Virginia put the range address as the destination and used a one year date range. It was duly approved by the ATF. So now for the next year he’s clear to go to and from WVa as he pleases.
    There’s one exception to this rule: you don’t need to bother with the paperwork for interstate travel for silencers.
    Silencer owners aren’t required to fill out the paperwork for crossing state lines with cans. The only time you would fill out one of these forms is if you are moving permanently (in which case you’d check “NO” on “Firearm to be returned to the original location” question), but even then there’s some question about whether that is necessary. I still did it when I moved just to be on the safe side. So while the rules apply for machine guns and SBRs, not a soul needs to know that there’s a silencer in your gun case.
    For air travel, you still need to declare the silencer as a firearm even if you’re not actually traveling with any guns. The silencer is legally considered a firearm and you can’t take it into the secured areas of an airport. So it needs a locked, hard sided case and a firearms declaration tag from the check-in counter. Same process as checking any other firearm, except you get to laugh when they ask “is it loaded?”
    The only difference really between traveling with a silencer in your bag and any other firearm is that you have to be aware of which states are NFA friendly. Sure, the Firearm Owners Protection Act helps a little bit with being able to pass directly through unfriendly states if you’re going somewhere better (in theory), but I still avoid them if at all possible when I have my can in the bag.
    Happy travels!
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-27-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Banned
    It also slows down the bullet as 22RFs max out in 16".

My Savage with can is still shorter and quieter than any 29" bbl. repeating 22RF.

Ruger now makes a built in can system for the 10/22 takedown. G&A says it worked great.

Hardly "bothered" if anyone does not want a can. Muffs and plugs work fine.

My VA supplied hearing aids cost the taxpayers 6 grand (jet blast), many don't have that benefit. You can buy a lot of cans for 6 grand.

Among all the shooters who have cans in our free state, I've yet to meet one who wants to give his up, where as most outfitters ban muzzle brakes. These are the "experts" IMHO.

As Packard used to say" "Ask the man who owns one." (and yes I know there are no more Packards but a company that polished its crankshafts in ground walnut shells could hardly compete with the big 3 junk in the 50's. Price a 1932 Packard and a 1932 Caddy --- illuminating.)

Got a great Bighorn on Tuesday with a (drum roll) suppressed 300 Win Mag.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123