RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
PBcastcoReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've Never Seen A 30-06 Case Like This

Banned

I've Never Seen A 30-06 Case Like This

Gentlemen, here's a 30-06 case that I've never seen. What is different about it is the circular groove around the primer. This makes me think of the cases made for rifles that use a tubular magazine and the groove is to catch the pointed tip of the bullet from contacting the primer. As you can see it's an RA 45 which I presume to be Remington Arms 1945. Anyone have any information on this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-06.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	205774

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that is one very serious crimp because if memory serves me correctly, which at my age is questionable, that particular batch was known to be very hot and presumably meant to be fired in machine guns. There are reports, (sisters best friend's cousin twice removed type) of it damaging Garands. I don't know whether to give that whole scenario much credence since in a military situation, it would seem to me that interchangeability of same caliber ammunition would be a very highly desirable. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, sorta, maybe.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

Well that's interesting that you mentioned "machinegun ammo" because as far as I've researched there was no specifically made ammo for machineguns. Can you shed some light on that?

I also though that it may have been some sort of crimp groove.

Is it me or does that primer look a bit larger than a large primer even with the crimp groove?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Is it me or does that primer look a bit larger than a large primer even with the crimp groove?
    It's the same as our large rifle today. You're right thought that it appears larger.

http://www.ammo-one.com/30-06PIC3.html

The photo here just described it as crimped.....and is very similar to the RA 45 you have. Not that this is definitive.....but it's something... ??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    http://www.ammo-one.com/30-06PIC3.html

The photo here just described it as crimped.....and is very similar to the RA 45 you have. Not that this is definitive.....but it's something... ??
    I think that is a BINGO for you! That RA 42 looks identical to mine. To me it settles it as pretty much a circular crimp. Thanks

Boolit Master

I picked up a few of those on a range years ago. They loaded and shot just the same as my other WW II brass. I was curious about them but never bothered to try to research them. I don't even know if I have any of them left. Mine was marked R A also, which was the Remington head stamp. I have some Korean War R A head stamp cases also.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Aircraft ring crimp.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Aircraft ring crimp.
    Now that's an interesting thing Outpost. I would say they sure didn't want a primer to pop out on an aircraft machine gun where they couldn't remedy it right away!

Boolit Master
    GONRA's pretty sure this loaded round is in my Modest Cartridge Collection.

Boolit Master

I've seen a lot of those over the years; they all loaded and shot fine after removing the crimp. I was told long ago that it was ammo for aircraft use, like Outpost says.

Boolit Buddy
    I received a can of loose M2 AP several years ago and was told that it was going bad. I pulled all the bullets and many had wet clumpy powder inside. I deprimed all of them and cleaned them up and went to seat new primers and when I went to ream the pockets there were a lot with this type of ring on the bottom of the case. They work in my 03 Springfield just fine.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Aircraft ring crimp.
    Perhaps that is where the reference to "machinegun ammo" came from. Certainly I'm no authority by the wildest stretch of the imagination and was just passing on a "myth?' of yore.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Remington manufactured military (RA) .30-06 had that unique way they crimped the primer. I've seen it in WW1 .30-06 ammo up until the end of WW2. I don't believe it was specific for any particular use and could be used in any weapon when the .30-06 round was specified.

Eutectic

Boolit Master
    For aircraft use makes a lot of sense. Not even in say a waist gunner position on a B-17 which it would still be preferred. More along the lines of say a plane with wing mounted machine guns that the pilot has no chance of remediation in the air. Also would explain the brass being somewhat scarce since most of it went overboard in flight. Very interesting! Looks like a 8mm Lebel case head!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Here are some more examples of a large ring crimp.Attachment 205853Attachment 205854

Banned

Let's not get an internet myth started on this type of primer crimp being specific for aircraft machine guns. So far all we have are suppositions. When we get some concrete proof, then we're talking.

Boolit Master
    I've also seen many WWI '06 rounds with this type of crimp... I just assumed that was normal manufacturing for technique at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Let's not get an internet myth started on this type of primer crimp being specific for aircraft machine guns. So far all we have are suppositions. When we get some concrete proof, then we're talking.
    It says "For Aircraft use only" on the box

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast