Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bumping up Jacketed bullets

Bumping up Jacketed bullets

I feel I can ask a new-to-swaging (newbie) question without too much ridicule.......

Can a Jacketed head be bumped up slighty...say .003 ? Distortion , separation comes to mind.......

I had to ask....

Don't see how that small an increment would make a lot of difference. I regularly bump up 117 grain, .257 bullets to .264 to shoot out of my 6.5 Grendel Howa bolt gun since there are no 117 grain weight .264 projectiles. Shoot 1/2 inch groups at 220 yards all day long when the wind here in Idaho doesn't read over 15 mph. Bump em on up!!!
    Last edited by blltsmth; 10-13-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling!!

Boolit Master

Bumping up is OK, squeezing down is not ok
    Give us more info,
    from what to what?
    and
    Will you be using a point forming bump die?
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

.308 Sierra Matchkings 180gn .

bump to:

I have some tooling that I don't know how/never used. Some old Herters stuff. Got it at a clean out and never looked twice at it. I do remember some Rifle 308 swaging dies....perhaps something I have can be machined out.

What kind of tool / die combo would I need to do it in an Newer Style Rockchecker II , or older style press? I also have a large Hollywood stuffed somewhere I never used.

I have a need to bump up a lot of these .308 Match Kings , I have many thousands of them, and a need for .311 of the same or near weight.

I would be willing to make the investment to do it, as I got these heads for next to nothing. It would make my .311 project a lot cheaper.
    I'm trying to actively trade them, but I doubt there will be any interest.

Boolit Master

Maybe BT Sniper can make you a bump die to take .308 Sierra MatchKings to .311.
    The actual work would be well suited to the Hollywood press
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thanks. If I cant trade the 308s for 311, I got no problem putting the work in ,,,,,the labor is free.

In Remembrance

The bullet police are here...........

The PROPER name for a projectile is, "BULLET"

There is no such thing as a bullet head. The entire assembly is a cartridge (not a bullet).

Just so you aren't as much of a newbie next time. You're welcome.....

Quote Originally Posted by BossHoss View Post
    I feel I can ask a new-to-swaging (newbie) question without too much ridicule.......

Can a Jacketed head be bumped up slighty...say .003 ? Distortion , separation comes to mind.......

I had to ask....

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

No worse than "boolit" and "J-word" both of which I've always found retarded.

Newbie? Shooting and loading since 15..USMC ..I did say new to swaging...LOL

Heads......they are called that in many circles. Just not in this part of Rome....

Boolits....I agree....J-word...I agree......slang from this part of Rome.....When in Rome do like the Romans do, lest Ye be chastised, under the quise of education.

There are lots of places that use slang....some right here on the South Side of Chicago. Don't use "their" slang, chastisement comes in the form of hot bullets headed your way. LOL The wouldn't try to educate you.

Banned

boolit - cast
    bullet- jacketed.
    it just simplify's things on the board.

you can bump your 308's up to 311 and the Hollywood is surely capable of doing the job.
    they used to make a bar for the Hollywood presses you added in when using the press for swaging.

your RCBS will do the job also.
    I had BT-Sniper make me a new ram for my rcbs press that takes screw in punches.
    you can swap out the rams in about 5 minutes.
    which reminds me I need to get him to make me a couple of punches for my 44 die set, and another P/F punch for some lighter weight 30 cal. bullets.

Boolit Master

Boss,
    You can contact Larry Blackmon and see if he has an oversized .308 point forming die.
    Phone 318-387-3266 Cell 318-372-1634 . bulletswaging@gmail.com Larry E. Blackmon

I remember some one on these site had a slightly oversized .308 point forming die and had to make another die. Maybe he may still have it.

Don't worry the auto think software on my tablet kept spelling swaging incorrectly and I was told about it until I edumacated the thinker.
    Bill

Boolit Mold
    Corbin has a page about .308 to .311 here:
    http://www.corbins.com/prfx1.htm

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    Boss,
    You can contact Larry Blackmon and see if he has an oversized .308 point forming die.
    Phone 318-387-3266 Cell 318-372-1634 . bulletswaging@gmail.com Larry E. Blackmon

I remember some one on these site had a slightly oversized .308 point forming die and had to make another die. Maybe he may still have it.

Don't worry the auto think software on my tablet kept spelling swaging incorrectly and I was told about it until I edumacated the thinker.
    Bill
    Boss, just talked to Larry and he may be able to help you, depending on what press you have. Give him a call.
    Bill