Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Star Reloader Auto Indexer Identification needed.

Star Reloader Auto Indexer Identification needed.

Hi I believe I have a Star Universal auto indexer made by a third party, but can't identify it, or its installation.

Maybe it's NOT what I think it is.

Can anyone help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4866.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	205768

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	205769

Boolit Master
    I have one on My star. it is a Bruster Indexer.. They were good and generally index fine but need adjustment. Do you plan on keeping it Or selling It
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

I recently came into a Star Universal , and a lot of accs: A Freeloader case feeder...thats the sticker on the funnel at least. I was trying to figure out how it all works, so I can set it up.

I may sell the whole package after I play a bit with it. I have never had one, and need to convince myself if I want to keep it.

I am actively looking for the instructions for the Brewster indexer now. Thanks, I searched and searched and couldn't figure out who's it was.

These reloaders are neat pieces of equipment, and I am looking forward to tinkering with it. The one I have is in 45acp , and I got a new 38 head, and a lot powder bars, some custom ones too. It's kind of like a classic car.

Boolit Grand Master
    You will not want to do caliber changes on it, but it is a fine machine. I have owned two and ended up selling them. I had instructions for the Brewster indexer and it is a bit finicky to set up...thus my advice to keep it set up for one caliber. Unless you like to tinker.

One last thing. If the you have the 1000 primer feed accessory DO NOT USE IT. If you ever have a primer go off, you will get seriously injured.
    Don Verna

Thanks for the advice. I did not get the primer turret with it. I would NEVER put that many primers near my face.

I want to do a run of 45acp on it, just for nostalgia, who knows, it may get a permanent spot on my bench. I think I have to make a stand for it, to get the spent decapped primers from underneath it. Or just another hole in the bench.......

Boolit Master
    The indexer will work Fine after installed . The piece attaches to The outside of the star frame. That small piece is the key and will attach to the right upper arm in a Sweet spot. The indexer activates on your Up stroke of the Handle. Do not take it apart.
    The small Piece pushes the Indexer Back by moving the upper L shape arm down. when you pull up on the handle that U shap piece grabs the empty case and moves it to the 2nd Position..
    I will check If I still have my Instruction sheet
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member

If salpal can't find his Brewster instructions, I have a copy. I use a Star Universal currently set up for .45ACP with a taper crimp die installed after the seating die. I use a Brewster to index and a Freeloader to feed the Hulme case feeder. It works flawlessly. Probably the best press I've ever used and it's from 1949. Changing calibers requires changing the tool head (if you have a second one already set up with dies) and shell plate and typically the primer system, powder slide but it's not a difficult task with a second tool head. Without, it would be a pain.. You can purchase a plug to fill the hole in the base that the completed cartridge falls through, but you still need a hole in the bench top for the spent primers to fall through, or make a raised base and put a tray under it to catch the spent primers. If you are missing any parts, they can still be bought. Starmachineworks.com is now located in New Jersey with a new owner who's customer service is fantastic.

Boolit Master
    Currently I an unable to Find My old Instruction sheet. It would be Good to post on this Thread for future Reference
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    The best I could do, paper is longer than my printer.scan0001.pdfscan0002.pdf

Thanks guys!!!!!!

I am going to try it out. I will post pics of what I have. For themost part ...it is gorgeous. a little corrosion on the hulme and and primer assy.

I want to give it a chance to earn a spot on my bench. I bought it to flip it, actually. But, I always wanted one....so, I have to give it a chance, I love three on the tree Chevys. So , nostalgia is great, and if it makes great ammo for me......I may not list it.

The 38 head and and plate I got with it may get launched to defray the cost of keeping it as my exlusive 45 machine.

Boolit Master
    I have found That The Star Is the Best Progressive machine. The rest are 2nd Best. I have 6 working Machines. I have found Not to change Tool Heads. Some Like It some don't.
    With Star Back on The markets . Why Buy a Copy .
    NRA Endowment Member

I am going to make ammo with it today. My indexer is a little beat up. THanks for the instructions. I need to make the spring on the arm. Thanks again for the diagram.

I dont think the indexer was ever on this machine there are no marks where the little piece goes. It looks like the vertical arms on the machine are new.

Do you have a photo of this indexer on a press ...or maybe a link to a video?

Boolit Master
    You really do not Need the indexer. My Star's Only have 2 The Brewster and a Ray-vin. The other I operate by hand . Once you get a Good Flow you still can Get easy 500 to 700 Per hour. . The only Limitation Is The primer Feed tube. You can Get new One's and extended Direct from Star Machine works In New Jersey
    Best of Luck with it
    There Is Only one star
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    With Star Back on The markets . Why Buy a Copy .
    What exactly do you mean "Back on The markets"??? I know the Star sizers are being built by Magma, but I haven't heard about anything else. Do you mean that the reloading presses are being built again??

Boolit Master
    Star Machine works Is Up and running In New Jersey. Parts are available and some Machines are Being built. You can call for Info
    NRA Endowment Member