Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: FInn m/39 Mosin-Nagant *New* long eye relief scope mount

Boolit Master

FInn m/39 Mosin-Nagant *New* long eye relief scope mount

Many of you will remember the long eye relief scope mounts I made for the Finn m/39 Mosin-Nagant rifles a few years ago. I didn't make a lot of them but those I made I sold here in this forum. Since that time I've been pretty regularly battered with email requests for that scope mount... but alas I'm not making any more.

One night not long ago I came across a website with scope mounts. The Swedish m/96 mount looked a lot like the one that I designed and made. I emailed the website owner and offered to try one and send him customers if I liked it. He sent me one and I gotta admit its slightly improved over the one I made.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...nt-low-profile

In discussing various other scope mounts with this guy (Liam) we talked about the Finn m/39 mount and I sent him photos and gave him permission to copy the design if he liked it. I emphasized that it needed to extend rearward beyond the rear sight base in order that the NcStar 2-7x32 handgun scope had enough rearward position movement.

In just the last couple weeks he finished making the Finn m/39 mount and sent me one. He improved the way it mounts over what I had done (dang it!) but I gotta say that I like it and I can recommend it. You can't get a lower scope mount for the Finn m/39. The limiting factor is the protective "ears" on the rear sight base which you have to work around with scope ring selection.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...sin-nagant-m39

I can't make a Swede mount or Finn m/39 mount any better than these two. They're the only ones of his mounts that I have here now. And thankfully I now have someplace to send people who email me begging for one of them..

Dutch

Boolit Master

Thank you for that open and honest review and sharing you design with another whom seems to have slightly improved on it.that was helpful and selfless and I appreciate it sir!

Boolit Grand Master

That is a very good scout type mount for the M39 Finn. Better than any other commercial scout mount replacing the rear sight to dat. Note how low the scopes ocular lens sits over the receiver ring....that's just how it should be. With a Burris or Vortex 2x7 Scout scope, in Weaver low rings it should really bring out the best in the Finn.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Thank you for that open and honest review and sharing you design with another whom seems to have slightly improved on it.that was helpful and selfless and I appreciate it sir!
    Well, he's good people, so,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Well, he's good people, so,,,,,,,
    Yes sir he is indeed

Thank you for posting this for those of us that can no longer use irons to good effect on our old war horses.

I notice he offers
    GROUP BUY DISCOUNTS:

Use the coupon code GROUP7 for 7% off on orders over $500
    Use the coupon code GROUP15 for 15% off on orders over $1000

See he offers other mounts and products as well - great find
    https://www.badacetactical.com/collections/all
    Last edited by Artful; 10-14-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Thanks, Dutchman. I went to his site and he offers the mount for my Yugo 24/47 as well. I see one in my near future. I have been looking for awhile but the ones I could find that would fit were either cost prohibitive or stuck way up in the air like a railroad bridge over a canyon. james

Boolit Master
    I recently bought one of the M39 mounts to use on my Finn M28-30.
    They use the same rear sight base.
    I love it.
    Nice low and solid mounting.
    Only have taken it out once, but I do not forsee any issues.
    I have had the rifle for 30 + years and had never fired it.
    So this is a good excuse to take it out and see how it does

Boolit Master

Dutch,

Thank you for posting about these. I recall seeing your work with the mounts you made a few years ago and thought about doing something like you did. Well, life got busy and the M96 gathered dust, figuratively, until I read your post this morning.

I visited the website and ordered the mount for my M96. Now on to selecting the scope. I have no experience with pistol or any LER scopes and my searching just raised more questions than answers.

My preference for scopes on my other rifles always seem to come back to Leopold VX1 3-9x40 no matter how good others seem to be. I prefer the duplex reticle over all else and would prefer to stick with it. I don't typically shoot beyond 150 yards with most hunting done at 75-100 yards. What would the recommendation be for a scope and rings be on the M96 using this mount? Budget is up to 200.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Dutch,

Thank you for posting about these. I recall seeing your work with the mounts you made a few years ago and thought about doing something like you did. Well, life got busy and the M96 gathered dust, figuratively, until I read your post this morning.

I visited the website and ordered the mount for my M96. Now on to selecting the scope. I have no experience with pistol or any LER scopes and my searching just raised more questions than answers.

My preference for scopes on my other rifles always seem to come back to Leopold VX1 3-9x40 no matter how good others seem to be. I prefer the duplex reticle over all else and would prefer to stick with it. I don't typically shoot beyond 150 yards with most hunting done at 75-100 yards. What would the recommendation be for a scope and rings be on the M96 using this mount? Budget is up to 200.
    Leupold scopes are $$$ out of my budgetary area. I use cheap NcStar 2-7x32 pistol scopes because of the number of rifles I have outfitted with these types of setups I simply can't afford using big dollar scopes. Same goes with rings. I'm currently using Kwik-Site as they're the lowest I've found. If I could afford it I'd have rings from many makers but it just isn't in the cards.

Let us know what you end up using.

Dutch

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I recently bought one of the M39 mounts to use on my Finn M28-30.
    They use the same rear sight base.
    I love it.
    Nice low and solid mounting.
    Only have taken it out once, but I do not forsee any issues.
    I have had the rifle for 30 + years and had never fired it.
    So this is a good excuse to take it out and see how it does
    I had wondered about some of the other Finn Mosin-Nagant rifles. I once had a nice 28-30 but took the capitalistic approach and made some money on it.

Do take some photos when you get things going and let us know how it shoots.

Dutch

Boolit Master

Dutch,

I ordered a Ncstar 2-7x32 and an Aimpoint 2-7x32. Both cost less than $100 shipped. I have a M48 as well so it will probably get the scout treatment as well. I'm late to the milsurp game but it is another facet of the hobby that interests me.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

Boolit Master
    I have NcStar and Aimpoints on most of my other Mil Surps ,but I decided to buy a Vortex LER for this Finn 28-30 because it has a Pristine barrel, and this is one of the best mounts that I have ever used.
    I plan to take the rifle out for the second time next weekend, so I will keep you updated on how it shoots.
    Last weekend I had forgot my rest, so shooting it off my elbows on a concrete bench, I was getting about 1" groups at 75 Yards with cheap Russian Bulk ammo.
    I may take a new box of Norma ammo and some handloads that have shot well in my Sporterized M 28-30.
    The sporterized rifle shoots Less than 1" groups all day long off a Bipod at 100 yards.
    Some handloads do even better.
    But that is an unfair comparrison of what a Mil Surp will do up against a customized Mil Surp with a good recoil pad, Glass Bedding, a Timney trigger and a BIG scope on a custom built mount.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I have NcStar and Aimpoints on most of my other Mil Surps ,but I decided to buy a Vortex LER for this Finn 28-30 because it has a Pristine barrel, and this is one of the best mounts that I have ever used.
    I plan to take the rifle out for the second time next weekend, so I will keep you updated on how it shoots.
    Last weekend I had forgot my rest, so shooting it off my elbows on a concrete bench, I was getting about 1" groups at 75 Yards with cheap Russian Bulk ammo.
    I may take a new box of Norma ammo and some handloads that have shot well in my Sporterized M 28-30.
    The sporterized rifle shoots Less than 1" groups all day long off a Bipod at 100 yards.
    Some handloads do even better.
    But that is an unfair comparrison of what a Mil Surp will do up against a customized Mil Surp with a good recoil pad, Glass Bedding, a Timney trigger and a BIG scope on a custom built mount.
    The Vortex looks nice and I like the reticle, much like the Leopolds I favor. Price point is not bad either. An Amazon parcel was waiting for me to get home so I now have the Aimpoint and Ncstar on hand. The mount should deliver on Friday according to the tracking info I have so there is a good chance I'll be dusting off the M96 this weekend. I'll initially be using factory ammo and then do some reloads using j-words as I gathered from the small wars about cast in this rifle that it is not as easy as say a 30WCF.

Are the rings included with these econo scopes worth using or should I get something else? Consider that I won't be using the Swede for competition or serious hunting, just plinking.

Boolit Master
    I save those Cheap Rings for my Cheap Rifles.
    But they aare good enough for casual plinking and such , even hunting.
    But cheap rings might come loose at just the wrong time.
    But my bigger fear is, they might damage a scope because of poor fit or coming loose.
    Good rings are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a Cheap scope, and much less for the better scopes.
    Why do you think they throw in cheap rings with cheap scopes

Boolit Master

Update:

This morning I took out the M96 with the Ncstar 2-7x32 mounted on the Badacetactical mount using the rings included with the scope. Using Winchester Super-X ammo it took me 5 shots to dial in the scope at 100 yards. I finished the 20 factory rounds as well as 20 of my own reloads using Sierra Gameking 140gn over Varget. Wow, this rifle combination is sweet and I have no doubt that it will be suitable for hunting.

I can recommend getting the scope mounts from Badacetactical for your milsurp. My M48 will be getting the treatment soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swede.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	208846
    Last edited by blikseme300; 12-03-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Add pic