WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Really big isotope containers

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Maybe FIRST put in some concrete pillars going down to bedrock, THEN add more lead :P

Yeah, it is really hard to deal with thieving family members, prove they stole from you, etc. etc. and if you only find out afterwards it can be like closing the barn door after the stock's all been rustled...

Boolit Master
    Yeah.. that's not going to happen... 8 x 8 already built "Tuff shed" on a slight hill (5 degrees). Moving the ton (literal ton in weight) of stuff out, lifting the shed and putting pillars.. nope, not going to happen without a crane of some type. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate the size of crane that it would take to get back there.. about 100 ft from the road and the boom would have to clear the house and trees.. not to mention that the street is on a downward slope..

Hmm.. talk about family members.. none of my family members want anything to do with said lead.. and the goats and dogs would likely attack anyone stupid enough to get into our yard..

Moderator Emeritus

3 pieces of 1x1/2 steel welded into an X shape with the 1" being vertical. Make it so it is about 2" wider than the bucket. Make 2 connected by chains a little taller the height of a bucket with the chains using an appropriate weight rated caribiner on one so it can be taken off if a bucket proves hard to tilt and rock onto the bottom X with it in the way. Add a set of 4 short chains from the top X to another weight rated caribiner. I use something similar made from wood but it is starting to crack so steel would be a better idea... I used 1/4 inch steel cable between the top and bottom and that worked well too. Would get a pic of it but it is apart in pieces to be recycled because it was breaking. Wood might work if I upgraded to oak 1x2"'s... Friend had a cable sleeve crimper(hydraulic) so I just made a loop through the wood to connect top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    An engine hoist is a really handy thing to have. After Christmas I'm thinking about building a device that will hold a 5 gallon bucket that can be picked up with a hoist. I'm thinking about a heavy duty version of a 5 gallon drink can holder like you see mounted on work trucks. Something that you can scoot the 5 gallon bucket over into rather than depending on the handle to support the weight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    Hmm.. talk about family members.. none of my family members want anything to do with said lead.. and the goats and dogs would likely attack anyone stupid enough to get into our yard..
    Your family is not the problem. Remember the Sith?

Master.../;^)

Boolit Master
    Being the curious type and to make conversation as I moved the scrapped isotope containers from one pharmacy, I asked the manager who was waiting for me to weigh them why they did not reuse them. He gave a practical answer: not cost effective. Most of their containers come from the nuclear reactors and cyclotrons that produce the radioisotopes. The cost of shipping the empties back plus inspecting them and removing the labeling, sorting by type and storing them prior to being refilled apparently exceeds the cost of buying a new one. So the radiopharmacy becomes the end user of most of the containers (some but not all end up in the hospital or cancer clinic lab) and then they have to dispose of them. This pharmacy sold to a company that recycles the lead into the lead shielding bricks that a lot of labs use.

I guess the circumstances and the policies vary, given Dragon's comments earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by kevin c; 12-26-2017 at 03:30 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123