Graf & SonsADvertise hereInline FabricationLee Precision
StainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2

Thread: .22 rimfire barrels

Boolit Master

.22 rimfire barrels

In this rimfire section of barrels, is there a general rule of thumb as to how strong they actually are?

wether they come chambered or unchambered?

Boolit Master
    Rim fire barrels come chambered if designed to fit a specific rifle. There are lots of replacement barrels for the 10/22 that are just installed on the action. For a 22 rim fire rifle that is not very common than a barrel will need to be machined to fit the action and chambered.
    Have replaced many barrels in old 22 rifles that require machine work to fit the action and eamed the chamber with a chamber reamer. Have made barrels where the barrel is the action and the locking lugs are part of the barrel. With a lathe and milling machine the work is easily done.

FWIW, I've never heard of a concern for the strength of a .22RF barrel, only weight or fitment, unless someone re-chambered a RF barrel to a CF round - but in those cases the the concern was about the action strength, not the barrel strength.

Experience is a wonderful thing - It lets you recognize a mistake, when you make it again.

Boolit Master
    Techinical read but good data.

http://www.cip-bobp.org/sites/defaul...e/A-4-1_EN.pdf

Minimum wall thickness for 22 reads 1.2mm to me.
    22 LR 5.74mm diameter
    5.74mm+1.2mm+1.2mm = .320" Remind you of an old car antenna maybe?
    The numbers from above reference are very interesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kywoodwrkr View Post
    Techinical read but good data.

http://www.cip-bobp.org/sites/defaul...e/A-4-1_EN.pdf

Minimum wall thickness for 22 reads 1.2mm to me.
    22 LR 5.74mm diameter
    5.74mm+1.2mm+1.2mm = .320" Remind you of an old car antenna maybe?
    The numbers from above reference are very interesting.
    Are we talking zip gun here?
    OK folks, there is only two ways to do this. My way or my other way.

Car antennas are good if you don`t mind doing harm to yourself.IIRC they were made from chrome plated brass.There were a couple of quality gun smiths in the area where I grew up.When they had a damaged .22 rf chamber to fix,they reached for a push rod from a car or truck engine.Cut a piece to the length they needed and silver soldered it in place and chambered it and then cut the extractor slot with a file.A friend has one that was repaired in that manner,and has been shooting it for about 45 years now with no problems.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Its just that I was starting to think that instead of creating a whole new cartridge based on the ..223 or 22 hornet, I could create an entirely new cartridge and modify a rimfire to do it.

For some reason I thought that the .22 tcm could be made to fit into the receiver opening, possibly even the magazine of the CZ rimfire rifle in 22 magnum. At least one of these has an easy to swap out barrel from 22 magnum to something else that escapes me. And I was wondering just how much "give" a rimfire barrel would have.

also for some reason thought that a 22 magnum Ruger carbine with a removable barrel could undergo the same surgery.