Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Loading for my Smelly.

Loading for my Smelly.

I'm playing with this while I'm recovering from surgery so I'm shooting low recoil loads left handed and left eyed. I am severly right handed and eyed. Excuses aside I tried out some 175gr .316" unsized and tumble lubed. I went with 7 grs of Red Dot and Rem 9-1/2M primers I did not seat a gas check because I don't have a proper sizing die. It gets funny here because lacking proper dies I used 7.7 Japanese dies. I shortened the sizing die years ago for another project. The seating die is unaltered. I realize this is seat of the pants loading but I'm having fun. I also loaded a batch with 11 grs of RD - on half of them I used a Lee decapping pin&base and loaded them unsized. I will shoot those possibly tomorrow. Today I shot 3 of the light load to get on the target then the next 7 fairly quick considering.
    To be continued.
    I just thought it looked good in the kayak.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    THAT'S just a cool-looking rifle! Glad it shoots well for you!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

This is why it's staying as it is. Too much pitting under the paint to restore or sporterize further. If it shoots well enough, a scope might be added. It's a shame because the inside and bore is in very good condition and all #'s match. I've always wanted a "keeper" .303; at $85 I may be there.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Regardless of the time and effort casting and loading cast boolits, I'm thinking that it is all about having fun. And you definitely seem to be doing so. Frank

Great results. I shoot a lot of 303 loads using unsized 215 grain no gas check and seated as long as possible using 10g of AP70 (unique or universal) with very good accuracy .I don't size the case with a standard die but use a handmade die that allows me to fit the .314 boolit very lightly.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    As it appears now, it has something of an "all business, no pretense" look about it, that I think is very attractive. If you try to pretty it up, I fear you will lose that. For $85 bucks, you didn't get hurt.

That's also some pretty dandy shooting for someone who is still in the recovery period from surgery. I can tell you from experience that the fastest way to double the length of time for you to recover is to try pushing yourself too hard. Keep your activities "low and slow" for a little while, and your body will reward you for it.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 10-13-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

By the time I pulled the shot my left eye was tired. The unsized cases fed the best. I have enough left for a couple more groups.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    All good practice for the side you don't normally use , the plus is it's a fun learning curve .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Texas,

Nice rifle and nice shooting. If you look on the right side of the "wrist" you will see a date of manufacture. It appears you have the original Mark III windage adjustable rear sight that the Brits dropped in 1916 to create the Mark III*. Some of my Mark IIIs have the desirable windage adjustable rear sight.

Adam

Good eye Adam. I installed that sight leaf to replace the badly pitted original.
    On the socket mine says BSA 1916 shtle* I think.
    That windage adjustment sight is the buisness!