Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: New Win 92 ,what mold?

Boolit Bub

New Win 92 ,what mold?

bought a new Win 92 .44 mag this summer ,only mold i got is. a RCBS .44-250-K ,. MOD# .082080 ,of course i knew it would not work ,but tried anyway ,yep ,it to long ,still want a 240 grain lead bullet will the Lyman #429667 or Accurate molds #43-240A work ,? and are they short enuff to feed?

Quote Originally Posted by remshooter View Post
    bought a new Win 92 .44 mag this summer ,only mold i got is. a RCBS .44-250-K ,. MOD# .082080 ,of course i knew it would not work ,but tried anyway ,yep ,it to long ,still want a 240 grain lead bullet will the Lyman #429667 or Accurate molds #43-240A work ,? and are they short enuff to feed?
    For my 44mag I use the Lee 209gr RN in my trapper ! It does every thing I need it to do . Plus you pick up some FPS....and velocity is your friend !

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master

slug the bbl and get the correct diameter. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...i8br8n0oguujr7
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...i8br8n0oguujr7
    I have the second one and boy does it shoot. Look up Ranch dog's data http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/ should be good to go.
    I was shooting about 2" at 100 yards with my Rossi with the 290g at about 1400 fps.
    Let me add this http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...Code=ZBJ-44MAG
    These shoot and at 13 or 14 cents each you may want to think casting. Best of luck to you.

Boolit Buddy
    92's are fussy on the OAL and bullet shape they will feed. The best shapes I find are TC or RNFP designs. Mine generally won't feed SWC shape bullets because they're too long and the front drive band hangs up, though it does feed a Saeco SWC pill fine.

As mentioned, you should slug your barrel first as dimensions vary widely. In my B92 a bullet diameter of 0.433 or larger works best.

As JFE said, it is not uncommon to find a really large bore in a Win 44 Mag. Mine slugs at .432" and it only shoots well with bullets of .433" or larger. If you have a slow twist, then a bullet of <240 grains might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Let me add this http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...Code=ZBJ-44MAG
    These shoot and at 13 or 14 cents each you may want to think casting. Best of luck to you.
    I LOVE these bullets!! The best I've ever found for my .44 mag rifles! Bought 100 from a guy on a forum, tried them and immediately ordered 1000 from Roze. My hands down favorites, very accurate and sized at .4315. Extra wide flat meplats and soft lead noses.

Site isn't letting me upload pics from my phone (again), but they're VERY impressive when fired into water jugs. Giant, perfect mushrooms. Can't wait to try them on deer.

I have an 8" AR500 gong that I've shot hundreds of times with every .30 class rifle I have, and these bullets from my .44 leverguns actually leave DENTS in that plate! They hit like Thor's Hammer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My favored .44 bullet is the Accurate 43-230G. This is a double-crimp-groove design which lets you seat bullets out and crimp into the rear crimp groove of .44 Special brass, to increase powder capacity and OAL for using .44 Specials in your cowboy rifle, or you can crimp in the front crimp groove using either .44-40 or .44 Magnum brass to maintain factory OAL to feed in the 1873 and '92 Winchesters and 1894 Marlins.

This is my "go to" bullet for all of my .44s. Its large meplat gives good performance on game, the 230-grain weight shoots flatter from the rifles, and the traditional shape is a slick feeder and accurate. Ten-shot group on military SR at 100 yards from my Marlin 1894S MicroGroove.

Attachment 206367Attachment 206368Attachment 206369Attachment 206370
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest the Lee TL430-240-SWC. It has a short SWC nose and with the small TL grooves you can load it to a perfect length for your M92 and crimp in whatever TL groove lines up. Cast of COWWs + 2% tin mine drop at .431 and of #2 alloy at .432. With the 6 cavity mould you can cast a pile in no time. I use them for my midrange 44 Magnum load over 9 gr Unique and they ran right at 1200 fps out of a M94 carbine I had, excellent accuracy with that load too.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    One thing that's not mentioned much is the difference in SAAMI specs for rifle vs. handgun bore sizes for .44 Mag. SAAMI spec for rifle is larger (I can't think of the specific diameter off the top of my head, but I'm sure Google could help you).

I've never had a Winchester '92, so I won't comment on it. My Rossi has the larger bore diameter, and won't feed Keith style SWCs like the RCBS 44-250-K worth a darn.

I've had good success with a group buy mold we did on this site through Lee several years ago, which was a 3 crimp groove gas check design that weighed about 295 gr. lubed and sized. It was intended for .44 Mag using one of the upper crimp grooves, or .444 Marlin using the bottom groove. Unfortunately I can't find any of the old threads showing more details on the design. I know there was a later group buy with MP Molds (Mihec), but again I can't seem to find anything on this site other than this single thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...6-gr-hp-Bullet

I've never had any success with typical commercial cast bullets with diameters from .429-.431. They're just too small diameter to grip the rifling reliably. Jacketed bullets seem to work a little better in that regard. My Lee group buy mold drops them about .434, and I have a .434 lube sizer die from Buffalo Arms.

Again, that's just my experience with my Rossi '92. I can't say if it'll be the same with your Winchester.