Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data

Thread: Something different for a short barreled woods/truck rifle

Boolit Master

Something different for a short barreled woods/truck rifle

Been wanting a Winchester 1894 Trapper in 30-30, mainly for the short 16 inch barrel. But since the rifle hasn't been made for awhile it is now priced as a collector. Could of bought a new 30-30 with a longer barrel and had it cut down but that would of amounted to spending another $250-350 for the gunsmith fee and shipping. After searching the web sites discovered Marlin makes a youth model 336Y with a 16.5 inch barrel and a 12.5 LOP. Plan is to add either a slip on or regular pad to bring the LOP up to around 13.5 inches. This will still keep it just a tad on the short side. I've discovered if you want a fast handling woods rifle not only is a short barrel handy but a shorter than normal LOP allows a hunter to shoulder the rifle faster as the butt doesn't hang up on bulky coats or thick clothing. Might add a peep sight or possibly a 4x muzzle loader scope because the parallax is set at 50 yards which is about the longest shot I would take. Ordered one from Buds today but they are really slow to ship as I paid by check and everything is snail mail.

I'll keep ya'all posted as to what I finally end up doing. Already have some slip on recoil pads so my expense to date will be the rifle ($416). My gut tells me the best way to procede is to use the slip on pad. That will give me a rifle the nephews can use if they ever get a hankering to shoot some deer.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Marlin 336Y in-the-box just for that purpose. A standard rear stock bought off GB or eBay fits fine and brings the LOP back to standard but you still win with the shorter barrel. Enjoy!
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

It's an easy do it yourself, if you are inclined..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 (3).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	205739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44 chop.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	205744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shorties2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	205746
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 024 (2).jpg  

I have the the Old trapper in 30-30WCF worked to death but she still shoots Great!!!! Haha she is a gum wood stock why Winchester would use such
    soft wood is beyond me !! My trapper was used by a left hand shooter! the soft wood shows his finger nails imbedded on the right side of the butt stock !!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    You probably wont need a longer LOP. My 336Y has the "youth" stock still and there isn't enough difference for me to even notice.

I really like the feel of the shorter LOP !
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    Plus 1 for the slip on. I have a Ruger 77 youth model that I put a fairly thin slip on and made it perfect for mild weather clothing, and then can simply slip it off when doing cold weather stand hunting and I have on the really heavy coat and what is underneath. Light, handy and quick.

Boolit Master
    Finally picked up the rifle. Fit and finish is awesome. Trigger is stiff and breaks around 7 pounds but the let off is crisp. Plan on installing a West West trigger in it. Not sure if I will stay with a slip on or mounted pad.
    I like the rifle. Should be real handy in the ground blind or tree stand.
    East Tennessee