Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do, a principal delema.

What to do, a principal delema.

New gun store opens close by, I’m trying to find a holster for my LCR and want it quick! No one in town has one but the new guy says he can get most stuff next day. He looks up what I’m wanting and can get it. “It’s drop shipped, not sure what that means, but I can get it on the way.” Ok, I paid a premium but ordered it from him. This was Thursday, I called Friday and Saturday, no holster, no news. I didn’t call Monday, heard nothing then showed up Tuesday at the same time UPS showed up, no holster. I asked, nicely, about canceling the order and getting a refund as I needed this holster this weekend. He sent off an email and said he let me know. That was 12pm Tuesday, 5 days into a “next day shipment. I didn’t hear back. Wensday 8pm I left a bad review on his Facebook page, basicly, nicely said to keep the holster, if it ever showed up, and use my money ($50) to help expedite someone else’s order, as I’m done and don’t bother calling me.
    Of course he calls, leaves a voicemail, sounds remorseful, and sends me a message on Facebook. He’s offering me the holster and a full refund, apologized for his lack of communication etc., thing is, after leaving the review, I did as I said I would, I ordered the holster from MidwayUSA and paid for expedited shipping, after ordering another holster from them Monday as I figured I couldn’t count on him!
    Supposedly the holster is there today, but honestly, he’s dropped the ball twice on a simple order and I’m willing to eat $50 on principal! Even though it is a decent amount of money for me in my world.
    I can post his reply on Facebook if needed, but what say you? How would you deal with it? I’m not a mooch and am not asking for a handout, but I’m getting this guy really wants me to take my review down!
    I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    Honestly; as he is new to the business, I would definitely cut him some slack.

Anybody can make mistakes starting out, and I wish the best for /any/ new gunshop in this challenging business environment.

We've had two (Edit: /three/ ) FFL's close here recently, and another whose sole owner is having severe health issues.

With only one stable shop & gunsmith remaining in my area, I confess to being a bit nervous & wish there was a little more security for our hobby here.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 10-12-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Boolit Master

Agree^^^
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Small shops that can't afford have a large stock of merchandise are at the mercy of their suppliers and shippers. They cannot guarantee delivery by a certain date. Take that into consideration in your dealing with the local dealer. If he put in the order in a timely manner, that really is all he can do.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I agree with all of the above, I really do! I even said in my review I really really wanted to like the place and the owner made a great first impression. But NO communication at all! Even after asking for a refund, nicely, you’d have a different attitude and try to fix it, right? But nothing! Sorry, that is what really got my goat!
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Moderator Emeritus

If this happened to me, and this new dealer was remorseful as you said, I'd take the full refund and not accept the holster. Then I'd remove the FB post if he requested that. I'd probably still go to this fella's shop, but would be leery about placing any future orders with him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I understand everyone wanting to cut him a break. But he shouldn't tell you he can do something to get your business if he is not sure he can. I am sorry people only get one shot on something like this with me. I am not usually in a hurry but if you tell me something then follow through. New or not you should be true to your word .

Boolit Master
    There are Very few LGS left in my area. Most if not all will not accept special Orders. THis is because of Unreliable Delivery. . They only order what sells on a Regular basis. I have herd the Owners say many times to Order It On Line.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

In Remembrance
    New or been there a century, ordering is ordering, period. If he put an expedited order in with a supplier that claims they can ship it out, what else does anybody think he can do.
    It is very possible that his only fault was a lack of communication calling his customer and not letting them know it hadn't arrived as it should have. Been on both sides of this ball game, there isn't a whole lot a guy can do.

You had the conversations and the subtle parts such as tone are missing. If he is was willing to give you the merchandise and a refund I think that indicates a clear effort to "make things right" It is entirely up to you if you wish to accept the apology gracefully then move on or never do business there again.

If he is willing to refund the money take it. I would not take the holster, after all if the money is refunded then the holster isn't paid for. You could I suppose suggest that the holster be donated to a local gun club or range as a prize or item for their next raffle, contest or auction if such an organization exists. Or take it and make the donation yourself.

On the Facebook review not having read it I can only say if I was going to leave it up I would think it right to edit it to reflect both the problem and attempts by store owner to make it right. Not a lot of big box stores would be willing to eat the cost of a holster just to apologize for some poor communication on a delayed order.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance
    I once ordered a fuel pump for a broke down, out of town customer, that had to stay in motel until it came in. I ordered it out of the closest warehouse that had it in stock next day freight. It was a good thing the customer was standing there while I was on the phone, and was also standing there the next day when I called them back. Not to mention the next several days. I finally told them to send another one, 7 days later the big brown truck dropped them both off.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think I'd ever gruff up a LGS, since I like browsing in them and want to be appreciated as a good customer. That said, I'm not a fan of every single thing being "I need it today". Where I live the USPS won't guarantee 3-day Priority or Express Mail, and I refuse to pay for any vendors "UPS/FEDEX next-day shipping" because it has no meaning here. If I need something superfast, I order it myself and pay. Otherwise I let them order it and go thru the normal channels so I don't get excited and then disappointed. USPS Priority Mail serves 99% of my needs.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

We really don't know how much was the LGS fault and how much was the supplier's fault. The supplier may have not been commuting with the dealer so therefore he could not pass along any info to you.
    If the dealer offered an refund, then I would take it and post on FB that the issue was resolved
    Though there was and delay in the shipment.

I’m not trying to gruff up anything, he offered to do, couldn’t do, neglected to communicate anything with me. Had he called, “hey man, things aren’t working out, the warehouse isn’t sure when they can get it out!” “Sorry, it’s not in the warehouse and I’ve no idea what’s going on or when it’ll be here, I’ll see what I can do to make it right!” But nothing, not anything! No phone call, nothing! I’ll post his reply in a min.

His reply:

Andy this is rob, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you on the holster totally 100% my fault I apologize, on the day you came into the store and ordered the holster I mentioned that it was a drop ship item meaning it's not instock at my wholesaler but it would come from the actual company and I didn't know when exactly it would be here I'm sorry again but a totally miscommunication on my part. I did just get shipment notice on it from ups so if you're still wanting it it's free of charge. I did send an email that day and still yet to here back from my wholesaler but my fault I didn't get back to you again I'm sorry it's really unfortunate for a start up small shop every customer is very important as reviews on businesses. But I would love to get this to you my ups should run around 2:00, thanks

If he would have communicated, I can see giving a break. Don't make me call you. I am a Business owner, nothing ticks me off more than to have to hunt down a supplier that did not deliver. Have an issue going on now, I'm not a happy camper. In today's technology of e-mail, cell phone , twitter and twat, facebook and who knows what else, there is no excuse not to keep a customer informed.

Rant over...

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    His reply:

Andy this is rob, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you on the holster totally 100% my fault I apologize, on the day you came into the store and ordered the holster I mentioned that it was a drop ship item meaning it's not instock at my wholesaler but it would come from the actual company and I didn't know when exactly it would be here I'm sorry again but a totally miscommunication on my part. I did just get shipment notice on it from ups so if you're still wanting it it's free of charge. I did send an email that day and still yet to here back from my wholesaler but my fault I didn't get back to you again I'm sorry it's really unfortunate for a start up small shop every customer is very important as reviews on businesses. But I would love to get this to you my ups should run around 2:00, thanks
    I'd give him another chance with that reply...

Boolit Grand Master

"Honestly; as he is new to the business, I would definitely cut him some slack."

I would give the guy a second chance as anyone can screw up and the guy is new to the business. This is why I always give a restaurant a second chance, too.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    If this happened to me, and this new dealer was remorseful as you said, I'd take the full refund and not accept the holster. Then I'd remove the FB post if he requested that. I'd probably still go to this fella's shop, but would be leery about placing any future orders with him.
    I would do this ^^

Giving the fella a break now that he has shown regret for lack of communication will allow you to get your $$ back & him to feel better. Taking down the review will also help. This shows him that he needs to communicate with folks & keep the channels open & that you are a pretty good fella giving him a break. I bet he remember the good turn from ya too.

I think putting the thing back to square one & starting over may be the best way to go.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

He was not the one that messed up. If the place he got it from does not ship then how is it HIS fault? Go get the holster and not take the refund. Send the other back to Midway or sell it here. Someone will want it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast