Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Getting restarted...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Getting restarted...

I have a RCBS Promelt but a family member has it and (as they're somewhat hostile towards firearms) getting it back may be problematic. Assuming I can get it back, what do folks do to upgrade these nowadays? (Mine's 30 years old, definitely PRE PID, tho I am good in electronics as that's what I do so I probably would build my own PID controller.)

And, if I can't get it back soon enough, I don't know if I want to get a Lee or what.

(I definitely need to gather more lead first.)

Boolit Master

If you want to get your pro melted back without a hassle just say you want to cast some sinkers or jigs for fishing.
    If that doesn't fly, a 4 lb Lee melter is cheap if you don't mind ladle casting.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned
    If you own the promelt then its your property. The idea that a family member won't give you back your property is rediculous at best. The law is only a phone call away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I have a RCBS Promelt but a family member has it and (as they're somewhat hostile towards firearms) getting it back may be problematic. Assuming I can get it back, what do folks do to upgrade these nowadays? (Mine's 30 years old, definitely PRE PID, tho I am good in electronics as that's what I do so I probably would build my own PID controller.)

And, if I can't get it back soon enough, I don't know if I want to get a Lee or what.

(I definitely need to gather more lead first.)
    Updating the Promelt with a PID control is childs play. There are plenty of threads that are a good source for part numbers and ideas. High cost PID's don't necessarily perform any better but are sometimes easier to program the temp settings in than the lower cost PID's.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Unfortunately, with family, it can be a "your word against theirs" game; I'll eventually get it back. Just a matter of getting there from here.

Boolit Master
    You simply plug the power cord into the output from the pids' contactor instead of the wall plug. I just put an extension cord end on my contactor so all it does is to turn the power off and on to the pot.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

I love my lyman mag 25, comes with built in PID. I replaced the mold guide with the one Al over at NOE is making, haven't tried the new guide out but looks like a huge improvement over stock.

Boolit Grand Master

The ProMelt works well without any mods. A PID is nice to have and there are a few different mold guides and pot covers that look interesting. But your ProMelt should work as well now as it ever did. Good Luck getting it back!