Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: No battery red dot sight

Boolit Grand Master

No battery red dot sight

Remember the Weaver quick point red dot sight????
    I'm looking for something like that for a friends shotgun.
    Has to be under $100 or less.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance

Those Qwik Points were neat little items, a friend had one on his Ithaca back in the day.
    Actually I have two brand new in the box, never been mounted Qwik Points, one is the shotgun model side mount that needs drilled and tapped and the other is for a rimfire. I keep telling myself I'm going to mount them on something but it just never happens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0625.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    So the side mount is for shotguns and the top mount is for rail mount??????
    I tried to search for what model I should look for, but came up with nothing.
    Any idea how many models there were????

In Remembrance

The early shotgun had a drill and tap mount that was at a 45 degree angle on the receiver, sort of like a Savage 340 rifle mount.
    The next generation had a side plate mount more like the modern saddle mounts but one side.
    There was a rimfire model with the small rail mount and a larger rail mount for centerfire size rifle rails, that is four different models but I almost think there was another model for crossbows but not sure.

BTW, if you search Weaver Quik Point for sale there are a few on ebay for a wide spread of prices.

Banned

had a couple weaver quick points back in the day and both ended up in the junk box. I don't know what your price point is but a aimpoint redot although they do use batterys have amazing life. Ive got a comp 2 on one of my ars that's been on constantly for 3 years now on the same battery. They advertise a 1 year battery life left on but I get ALOT longer life. Comp 3s and comp 4s are suppose to have 3 times the battery life as a comp 2 so id about bet a battery would about last longer then I have left on earth. they also don't need the sun to work and are about the stoutest built most reliable sight of any kind ever made. the last comp 2 I picked up off of gun broker used for 250 bucks. Its one optic I have no qualms about buying used because like I said you would about have to dry to destroy one to hurt it and even if you do aimpoint will fix it for free anyway. Just watch out for some of the knock off Chinese versions that some unscrupulous people try to pass off as real aimpoints

Boolit Master
    Hey Lloyd what happened to the Qwik points that you trashed them, I got one on a little 22 rifle and it works well but never put one on a shotgun.

Were they recoil sensitive? Just curious.

Banned

I believe that was the problem with the ones I trashed. Might have worked fine on a 22. But that said to me there about useless on any serious hunting or defense gun because they depended on the sun to work and you don't allways have a nice bright sun. Aimpoints will about take being run over by a train and with battery life measure in years not hours if you can afford one there the way to go. But that said not everyone can afford one. A good compromise is a vortex strikefire, sparc or even a bushnell trs25. What ive found to be pretty true is if something fades out of popularity to the point its discontinued and not by a replacement model theres a pretty good reason why they didn't sell.

I have the seeall on the BO pistol, had it on the 30/30. Works great when you get used to it. No parallax. It is not the seeall-nite version but works till just after dusk - when you can't see the target (and legal hunting is over). A little problematic if you wear prescription glasses. Might need a rail on shotgun as vertical adjustment & head position is like irons - long relief needed.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    had a couple weaver quick points back in the day and both ended up in the junk box. I don't know what your price point is but a aimpoint redot although they do use batterys have amazing life. Ive got a comp 2 on one of my ars that's been on constantly for 3 years now on the same battery. They advertise a 1 year battery life left on but I get ALOT longer life. Comp 3s and comp 4s are suppose to have 3 times the battery life as a comp 2 so id about bet a battery would about last longer then I have left on earth. they also don't need the sun to work and are about the stoutest built most reliable sight of any kind ever made. the last comp 2 I picked up off of gun broker used for 250 bucks. Its one optic I have no qualms about buying used because like I said you would about have to dry to destroy one to hurt it and even if you do aimpoint will fix it for free anyway. Just watch out for some of the knock off Chinese versions that some unscrupulous people try to pass off as real aimpoints
    Weaver quickpoints have flaws that in some cases render them minimal usefulness.

1. the sidemounted models that were for the 870 Remington's, and the 1100's, were darned if you do and damned if you don't. I'm referring to how tight the replacement screws that mounted it to the side of the receiver. Tight enough for it to be accurate, you coulnd not pump the slide, loose enough to work the action, it would NOT be accurate. An even bigger problem with an 1100.

2. Ambient light is what made it work. BUT try aiming it directly into the sun, the dot disappears. It was a fad, that is well placed in the ash heap of firearm sights.

Mounted solid on a weaver rail that's drilled and tapped to the receiver, then used within it's narrow parameters it works reasonably well. But why handicap yourself with one, when there's much better equipment for just a bit more money.

Personal experience here. I had one on a 870 12, for one season. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough, cost me a deer when I couldn't see the dot while looking into the setting sun.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

No battery red dot sight

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I have the seeall on the BO pistol, had it on the 30/30. Works great when you get used to it. No parallax. It is not the seeall-nite version but works till just after dusk - when you can't see the target (and legal hunting is over). A little problematic if you wear prescription glasses. Might need a rail on shotgun as vertical adjustment & head position is like irons - long relief needed.
    I've been trying to get used to this style sight. So far it's a no go. It takes me to long to aim w/ it. It's really subject to how high your eye is in relation to it. I can't imagine trying to use it w/ bifocals.

https://seeallopensight.com

Correct Dragon, just as with iron sights, cheek weld is paramount. I have the triangle reticle and horiz aim point is easy. Proper head position makes vertical much easier.
    This was from ~35 yds, standing, BO pistol. Just acquire target, pull trigger, repeat. Small holes are 223 from GK.
    Attachment 205488
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is on a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BO. Has the crosshairs reticle. It was supposed to be the triangle but after getting this reticle three times I gave up.

Tried it in different positions on the rail, didn't matter. The comb on this stock drives me nuts. But I've posted about that issue enough and don't want to derail this thread.

Boolit Grand Master
    After some web searching, I've found some other no-battery red dot sights.

Singlepoint OEG Single Point Red Dot Sight By Avionics LTD of Hampshire
    Normark Single Point Reflex Sight

I've never seen either of these.
    Anyone know anything about them.

If it's the one I think it is
    It's a black tube with light gathering clear end and tritium light
    source for night work - projects a red dot on black backround for
    one eye - other eye must be open to see the target. Your brain
    fuses the images giving you your firing solution

check this out
    http://shootery.blogspot.com/2010/07...int-sight.html
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    The Armson OEG, formally offered by Trijcon, was basically a advanced copy of the Singlepoint. Besides, the light collector, it was also powered by tritium lamp with a ten year life span. I liked them, very much, and consequently amassed a half dozen. Mounted them on my hunting handguns, bows and even a shotgun. Dot size was 4 MOA. They were inexpensive (MSRP was $160) and could be found for $99.........when they need relamping the cost was @ $30 and good for another 10 years or so. Sadly, Trijicon, would no longer support them/relamp. They still work but not in very low light. Like all of Trijicon products, they were designed for the military and pretty much bomb proof.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01811 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	205872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01756 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	205873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020376.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	205874

Winelover