WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Powder funnel for Dillon

Boolit Master

Powder funnel for Dillon

I am loading 9mm Pc'ed boolits sized .357 for my 9. Have problems with the stock dillon powder funnel. Have found a few online but would like to ask those that have tried them which work the best.

Boolit Master
    I got lathesmith to make me one.

Boolit Master
    what is the time and cost on that?

Banned

fast and about the same as a Dillon. [slightly less]

Boolit Master

FYI, one of the things I found on my 650 using an oversized powder thru/expander for 9mm was more difficulty withdrawing the funnel from the case, such that it shook powder from the filled case. This is because you want to go deeper into the case with the expander (so the bullet base doesn't get sized down in seating) and this makes it harder to withdraw on the handle up-stroke. YMMV. What I ended up doing was using a Lyman 38AP expander on the single stage press and adjusting the Dillon 9mm expander to just put a bell on the case for seating. Yes, its an extra step but it works.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    I bought a new funnel for my 650 from Mr Bulletfeeder and the difference is night and day!
    Big improvement over the Dillon piece. Mine is for loading 9mm btw.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 10-12-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    what is the time and cost on that?
    I sent an email or 2 to Chris about what I needed. It was a few bucks less then stock Dillon and I had it in a week. It all depends on his projects at the time. I would suggest that that you stick with the standard expander depth. I crunched a few of the mixed headstamp brass.

Boolit Master
    3rd for Lathesmith. Made one for my SDB. The post above is right about it sticking in some cases. After every handful of brass, i take a cleaning patch wipe the plug with just a touch of very light rem oil. No issues with this after 10k or 20k rounds loaded. I recently switched to range scrap and it seems the sdb sizing die is squeezing down the brass too much. Switched back to wheelweights and all is good again. But lathesmith and i have discussed experimenting with a custom steel sizing die for the sdb.

Boolit Master

I used to have problems with the Dillon powder die sticking so hard that it shook the whole shebang offa da wall.

I since started to put about 50 empty unprimed cases in a gallon zip log bag and squirting some case lube into the bag with the cases. Then I give them a shake and roll for about 30 seconds to spread around the lube.

Debag and then allow the alcohol to evaporate and them drop them into the XL 650 Casefeeder. The small amount of lube on the outside and inside of the cartridge case makes everything a lot smoother. Easier to size and also the neck expanding powder die does not hang up so much to cause any powder spillage and I am a very happy camper.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I bought a new funnel for my 650 from Mr Bulletfeeder and the difference is night and day!
    Big improvement over the Dillon piece. Mine is for loading 9mm btw.
    I tried a Mr. Bulletfeeder 45acp powder funnel and couldn't find any difference between it and the stock one.

Part of the sticking issue is how the powder thru is ground. My buddy is a machinist, told me as little as 0.0005" taper front to back makes all the diff. He has reground a couple of mine, once polished, smooth as glass.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    [QUOTE=Crash_Corrigan;4183155]I used to have problems with the Dillon powder die sticking so hard that it shook the whole shebang offa da wall.

I know exactly what you mean! When mine would release after man handling it, it would throw the powder measure top off and powder would fly. I've never needed lube, but I'm going to try it, this thing is so hard to cycle, any kind of "rhythm" is impossible. This is new brass, and some have said that's probably part of it, but man, hard to believe the amount of force required to expand and drop powder in a short .45acp case.

I do the same as Crash with spray Lube and have none of the problems other have. M2c

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Glad I saw this thread, I will follow for updates. Cases sticking hadn't even crossed my mind, but now it makes perfect sense why Dillon doesn't offer an M funnel die. I really like the idea of a custom expander with a very mild taper, polished to a mirror finish.

Banned
    I was in a hurry to start loading 44 magnums so I simply backed off my dillon powder funnel and installed my RCBS die to bell the mouth and loaded without any problems. It was easier to adjust also.