MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt-action AR conversion

Boolit Master
    Now that makes perfect sense!! I wonder how long till you can buy an upper with that feature in the housing?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Neck: there are many side charger uppers already available. You can buy an AR Stoner bare Upper Receiver for about $200 from Midway.

My problem is with the SCR the bolt carrier is different than a standard AR Bolt Carrier so the Stoner Upper won't work.

This device works on any AR upper, and you can move it from gun to gun in a couple of minutes.. it is also only $135! and it is very well made!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I'm reminded of a guy who wanted to shoot reduced cast boolit loads in his M1 Garand. I think he just got a spare gas plug and drilled it out to vent off the gas. The M1 could then be cycled manually with the operating handle. For reasons cited earlier (broken charge handle, etc) I guess this wouldn't work out with an AR.
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Since Ruger is now selling a version of the American Rifle that accepts standard AR mags, it may end up being cheaper to just snag one of those, either in a Boyd's stock or a MDT chassis.

Ruger keeps releasing stuff I wish they'd offered 10 years ago, I don't think I'd own a non-Ruger gun if they had.

Boolit Master
    Update: the Ruger American with AR-style magazines is far and away better than the rotary magazine counterpart. 10rd mags are just perfect, and while the stock will go as soon as I find a decent replacement I was able to hit soda cans at 100yd with PRVI M193 with a hot barrel and a 4x scope while standing and sitting with body support. I switched to a Sightron S-TAC 2.5-10 and I'll be taking it out again to see if the lower mount and higher magnification helps. Certainly it's already good enough for vital hits at 100-150yd, I'd like to get it at least on par with my ARs. Total investment so far is $300 for the rifle with 3 mags and a bipod, $180 for the scope, $150 for the scope mount (American Defense Manufacturing), $90 fir a JakeBrake QD mount for my suppressor, and $12 for a foam comb raising kit and a ratty old roll of Coban from my med bag.

As soon as Boyd or someone else releases a better stock under $170, I'll be into what I wanted for $800, and I. Can start working on shooting the bore out so I can rebarrel it.

Boolit Mold
    Lantac is also in the USA now. Dallas, TX. www.Lantac USA.
    I have been shooting a side charger with no gas for a few years now. Started out with a Mega upper and a Y/M NM side charger BCG. Then had a gentleman on this site turn me out an adapter to put an oversized traditional style knob on it. Looks a little weird, but works for me. I shoot lefty, operating the bolt with the right.
    I just ordered a Lantac Enhanced Straight Pull BCG directly from Lantac USA. They had a Memorial Day 20% off. The less I have to put out for it before I cut up the charge handle and weld it back together is better. I have no intention of popping myself in the face when ejecting a case! (I shoot bagged with a bipod for distance with this piece)
    There ain't no slack in Fast Attack!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon300 View Post
    Lantac is also in the USA now. Dallas, TX. www.Lantac USA.
    I have been shooting a side charger with no gas for a few years now. Started out with a Mega upper and a Y/M NM side charger BCG. Then had a gentleman on this site turn me out an adapter to put an oversized traditional style knob on it. Looks a little weird, but works for me. I shoot lefty, operating the bolt with the right.
    I just ordered a Lantac Enhanced Straight Pull BCG directly from Lantac USA. They had a Memorial Day 20% off. The less I have to put out for it before I cut up the charge handle and weld it back together is better. I have no intention of popping myself in the face when ejecting a case! (I shoot bagged with a bipod for distance with this piece)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12