Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Longtime reloader needs help getting started casting bullets

Boolit Master

I use my Star also for sizing TL'd boolits. Just don't pump the lube, and run 'em through FAST! TL, size, and TL again, and I'm good to go. Also, got a die from a forum member to size rifle boolits to .310.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

The Star is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    Is the Star sizer better or have more going for it than say a Lyman or RCBS
    The Star is by far the best one. The push through nose first sizing is the best for output.
    It might drive you nuts when you first start using it, but once you understand how to adjust it, you will size and lube many more bullets.
    I can size/lube two or three (sometimes even 4 or 5) thousand at a whack, and can do that in one or two maybe three long evenings. You use lots of Magma hard lube but once you get set up and in the groove you can do TONS of bullets.
    Like an earlier poster, i usually do long sessions casting/sizing/reloading in winter and shoot spring summer and fall.
    Personally I would prefer to use only steel moulds. I have found aluminum ones don't hold up to monster amounts of casting. I LOVE the RCBS moulds, but the 2 cavity limitation hinders production a LOT! Over the years I have replaced all my RCBS moulds with Hensley & Gibbs moulds. Yes it was expensive but I did them one a time over about 25 years. I now have about 14 of them (4-6-10 cavity moulds) in my collection and I use them all.
    I tend to have manic casting/sizing/reloading sessions. The one thing I hate more than anything is setup time. I set up and do thousands at a whack. Cast/size & lube/reload two or three thousand at a time. They go into the closet.
    Shoot from the closet and eat from the garden.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 10-15-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    The Star is by far the best one. The push through nose first sizing is the best for output.
    It might drive you nuts when you first start using it, but once you understand how to adjust it, you will size and lube many more bullets.
    I can size/lube two or three (sometimes even 4 or 5) thousand at a whack, and can do that in one or two maybe three long evenings. You use lots of Magma hard lube but once you get set up and in the groove you can do TONS of bullets.
    Like an earlier poster, i usually do long sessions casting/sizing/reloading in winter and shoot spring summer and fall.
    Personally I would prefer to use only steel moulds. I have found aluminum ones don't hold up to monster amounts of casting. I LOVE the RCBS moulds, but the 2 cavity limitation hinders production a LOT! Over the years I have replaced all my RCBS moulds with Hensley & Gibbs moulds. Yes it was expensive but I did them one a time over about 25 years. I now have about 14 of them (4-6-10 cavity moulds) in my collection and I use them all.
    I tend to have manic casting/sizing/reloading sessions. The one thing I hate more than anything is setup time. I set up and do thousands at a whack. Cast/size & lube/reload two or three thousand at a time. They go into the closet.
    Shoot from the closet and eat from the garden.
    Yep sounds about like me just got finished resizing, depriming and wet tumbling 20,000 +/- pcs of brass in various calibers both straight wall and bottleneck still have about 2,500 pcs left, I like to get it all finished and then commence on the loading, funny I don't really feel like I shot 20,000 rnds since this time last year. Those empties add up fast. That is why I want to start casting, I figure that 20,000 cost me about 5000.00 plus in projectiles alone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123