Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Found Green Redding and Black Saeco Lubrisizer

Found Green Redding and Black Saeco Lubrisizer

Ok so I was digging around in all my reloading stuff that I don't use shotgun presses and other odds and ends and I found 2 old lubrisizer that my uncle gave me, completely forgot I had them one is a Green Redding Lubrisizer and the other is a Black Saeco Lubrisizer, they look the same. What can you all tell me about these. and whats the best method for clean up inspection and teardown and removing the old lube and are there any differences between the 2 ??

Boolit Master
    Same lube sizer redding bought out sauce some years ago.

remove plunger and stick lube sizer in oven on top of old cookie sheet with tin foil to cover the cookie sheet, most ovens run 100 or so just from the pilot light so a few hours and any cheep lube, like 50/50 Javilina or any of the lyman lubes will melt right out.

Hard stuff you may have to pre heat the oven to 200.

ADVISE: do not spill lube in the oven or SWMBO will put your knickers in a big old twist and knot!

Boolit Bub
    Something that always gave me some very good results is removing the die and punch, then opening the lube reservoir and pouring boiling a very generous amount of boiling water.
    It will take out all the old lube and remove most of the gunk. Then make sure that the sizer is dry a d you're back in business.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers

My Saeco lube-sizer works great, nice tool. I take the die and the pushrod and gasket out and use a heat gun and rags to wipe it down. Gp

Boolit Master
    The early SAECO lubrisizers held the die in with a small set screw behind the die hole. Redding uses the same size dies, but they are threaded at the bottom for a thin nut to hold them in place. There doesn’t seem to be any other serious dimensional difference, so Redding dies can be used (sans nut) in SAECO lubrisizers but unthreaded SAECO dies won’t be held in the Redding lubrisizers.

My SAECO lubrisizer uses top punches like the Lyman/Ideal, only with longer shanks. Somewhere along the line, these were changed to threaded shanks that screw in.

As far as getting the old lube out, I’d warm the reservoirs and die stations with a hair dryer, run a buncha pistol boolits through them, and shoot them up. Unless you are contemplating a drastic change, like from smokeless lube to black powder lube, running whatever is in there out and reloading the reservoir is the easiest way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    The early SAECO lubrisizers held the die in with a small set screw behind the die hole. Redding uses the same size dies, but they are threaded at the bottom for a thin nut to hold them in place. There doesn’t seem to be any other serious dimensional difference, so Redding dies can be used (sans nut) in SAECO lubrisizers but unthreaded SAECO dies won’t be held in the Redding lubrisizers.

My SAECO lubrisizer uses top punches like the Lyman/Ideal, only with longer shanks. Somewhere along the line, these were changed to threaded shanks that screw in.

As far as getting the old lube out, I’d warm the reservoirs and die stations with a hair dryer, run a buncha pistol boolits through them, and shoot them up. Unless you are contemplating a drastic change, like from smokeless lube to black powder lube, running whatever is in there out and reloading the reservoir is the easiest way to go.
    Is there an adapter to use an rcbs top punch in the redding

Boolit Master
    I don’t have a Redding, and my SAECO is a very early one. It can use Lyman/Ideal or RCBS top punches; although they come up a little short, the set screw still grips them pretty well.

AFAIK, the later SAECOs and all the Redding’s use a threaded top punch with the major diameter not much different from the Lyman/Ideal or RCBS. I don’t know how the latter could be adapted to fit unless they were threaded in a die.

I recall a discussion of SAECO and Redding lubrisizers initiated by Pressman, who had found a specimen. Lots of people, including me, chimed in. I can’t remember where or when it was on the Forum, but a search should pick it up.

(Is my face red—my lubrisizer is a Cramer, which was bought out by SAECO, which was then absorbed by Redding. It is the same basic design, though. Don’t know where my memory is going. Do a search for “Cramer” and you should find Pressman’s thread.)
    Last edited by Bent Ramrod; 10-16-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Senility