Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Trading my 6.5x55 for a 7x57?

Trading my 6.5x55 for a 7x57?

Hi guys I am thinking of trading my 6.5x55 M96 for a 7x57. The Swede would do well at velocities below 1700 but was a pain above that.

The 7x57 seems to have a lot of things going for it as a cast bullet round versus the 6.5x55, firstly its got a longer neck and secondly a bit of a slower twist.

I would like to hear from people who have experience with the 7x57 or better still with both of the cartridges, what do you think, should I trade?

Thanks

Banned
    I cannot give you a lot of info on cast bullets in 7 x 57 BUT it is an excellent cartridge with jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master
    The military mausers were all fast twist guns.
    Cast bullets are by far 'easier' to shoot good groups with a slow twist.
    If I was wanting to shoot cast, and ready to trade, then I would look to trade for a slow twist gun. It's just easier to shoot cast slow twist.
    .30-30, 1:12
    or any of the .35 cals. 35Rem, 358Win, 35Whelen, all of the .35's are 1:14 pretty much standard.

I think the difference between 6.5x55 and 7x57 military for cast, is a moot point. If you really want to shoot cast, you need to slow down the twist by 5" not just 1" of the 7mm.
    Last edited by kens; 10-11-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Banned

run it with loads at 80% of the 30 cal rifles.
    it's that bore volume thing.

I have been slowly trying to move toward slower barrels, of the rifles I currently have my 35 and 38 cals shoot cast best though my 14 twist 30 cal is doing very well.

I recently order a 1:17 twist 408 barrel from Krieger for a 40-70 as the only 408 barrel available down here was a 13. So I fully appreciate that slow is usually better, unless you want to go big and slow!

I should have added that the 7x57 I am looking a trading has a non original barrel, with a 10 twist versus the m96s 7.8 twist!

Most of the military 7x57 Mausers are throated for a big, long bullet. I have a Venezuelan that shoots very well with an oversized 180 gr. LBT mold. If you go 7 in a military rifle, I'd say forget about anything .284. or .285.

I have been working with a '94 Swede cavalry carbine, which is hopeless with .264 jacketed. I got some fair groups using the Lee cruise missile, and just got a box of the Hornady Carcano 160s. I blew a couple of primers before I got the charge and the OAL low enough for safe pressure. It looks promising, but velocity is not going to be very high there either.

And if you want to confuse people you can call it a 275 Rigby......

Boolit Buddy
    If you have room in the throat try heavy, longer boolits. The 96 is better quality in my opinion.