Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which powder? 5.56 55gr FMJ

Which powder? 5.56 55gr FMJ

I know this will probably open a can of worms, but given the choice between Hodgdon H335 and Win 748, which powder would be better for loading 50gr and 55gr FMJ in 5.56? I ask because I have a small mountain of brass, a good supply of bullets, and these two powders that I'm not using for anything else. Not looking for precision, just reliable and dependable accuracy out of a 1:8 twist AR.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I like 748....but have no grounds for comparison. I've not used the H335. 748 is, however, my go to powder for the loads you're looking at. I think you'll find better than plinking results with some work up!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

Winchester 748 is a bit slower than H335 and is excellent with heavier bullets (62 gr +). H335 has always been my "go to" powder in the 223/5.56 with 52 - 55 gr jacketed bullets. To duplicate M193 ammunition I use LC cases, a CCI 450 or WSR primer and 26.5 gr H335. I use a Lee FCD to crimp in the cannelure groove.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I also like h335 in my ar15 with the 55 grain I get good results with 25.5 grain of powder.
    jim

I use a very similar load to Larry Gibson with the 748, and have had great results.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I might need to look at the H335 though! I'm seeing some well seasoned folks liking it.....so, hmmmmmm.....

Thanks for the good info and data so far, as always this forum is not lacking in the knowledge department! I think I'll probably go with the H335 and keep the W748 for heavier bullets in my Ruger American.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Another one here, I like H335 as well for this weight of bullet
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Another 748 user here, with 55 FMJ's and 69 SMK's.

Boolit Master
    Either powder will work fine. Experiment with some loads and see which provides best accuracy at the desired velocity level. Both powders are known to be temperature sensitive, but that seldom matters much unless you're shooting in extreme heat or cold. One of the best gunwriters ever, the late Bob Hagel preferred H335 for loading .223. There are other powders out now, but Hagel's advice likely remains sound.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Winchester 748 is a bit slower than H335 and is excellent with heavier bullets (62 gr +). H335 has always been my "go to" powder in the 223/5.56 with 52 - 55 gr jacketed bullets. To duplicate M193 ammunition I use LC cases, a CCI 450 or WSR primer and 26.5 gr H335. I use a Lee FCD to crimp in the cannelure groove.
    100% agreement with Larry. 26.5 grains is my go to load for the AR. My bolt gun likes 25.9 grains of the H335.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Also agree. I'd choose 335 over 748 for the 55gr.

Boolit Master

I faced this same comundrum last year but I ended up buying 748. I shoot an SP1 with 55gr FMJ and 748 has worked just fine for me. I like the way the ball powder meters in the powder measure and I get easily 1.5 MOA with Hornady or Win. FMJ's (well, when I do my part). That being said, 335 is a fine choice too. I bought a pound to experiment with and it's a fine powder for the AR platform. I have other cartridges that 748 is useful for so that was also part of my decision. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
    Semper Fi.

I started using H335 as a teenager because it was cheap!
    Oh the fireball it would send out of my brother's Mohawk 6mm!
    I've kept a pound around since then. It works in a lot of rounds but it is my go to for .223. I've used 748 just this year and I've got no reason to abandon H335.
    I don't need both. Nothing against 748, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think it'll be matter of trying both powders for your desired bullet weight and figuring out which powder YOUR RIFLE likes better.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Banned

not a fan of 748.
    I have been really, really trying to use up the last pound of 2 lbs I got when they come in metal cans.
    my last effort was at some 80% throttled 303 brit rounds, apparently it also come with 80% less accuracy.

I use a powder that is pretty much the twin of 335 for all kinds of stuff.

i have switched to TAC for all my .223 / 5.56

works great with any weight bullet i have tried

Boolit Master
    Tac is my pick but reloader 15/blc2 work well .24gn tac is accurate with 55gnfmj in my 1 in 9 tikkat3.

Boolit Master

I also vote for H-335. Many many years ago I got an 8-pound Keg of it marked surplus—pretty darn cheap. I started using it in the 30-30 then the 7-30 Waters and finally the .223. I have stayed with it since those days—it is the one I use in my .223 Super 14" and Super 16" Contenders. I am on my 3rd keg of it and it is almost empty…

On a side note, I also purchased some WC-844 some years back. A surplus powder at or near the burn rate of H-335. I found mine to be a tad slower, maybe half a grain according to my Chrony, but it shoots equally as well. So it appears H-335 or WC-844 will be my choices on down the road…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master
    748 is ok for 55gr but I have to agree with the other's who suggested H-335 for both the 50gr and the 55gr.

Save the 748 for later.

Motor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast