WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which powder? 5.56 55gr FMJ

Boolit Bub
    I sure miss the days of finding 844 and 846 for $90 per 8 lbs. I have seen 844 recently for $160, not a real incentive to buy. I have never tried the H335 or BL-C 2 but have used W748. I get good results and it meters pretty **** nice through the progressive.

Boolit Master
    I like AA 2015 and so do my 223 and 6/45

Boolit Bub
    Since you are shooting an AR rifle, I would suggest you go with the cheapest powder, and be done with it.
    I 've had several AR rifles, ( none now ) and there was a time when I had on hand, only 55 gr. fmj bullets, ...a giant keg of GI-4831 powder, and ....Unique.

So,,, being a rather practical sort, I used both.

A few grains of unique on the bottom of the cartrage case, next to the primer, and a case full of GI- 4831.
    No chronograph, but the "pop/bang" was normal, and the loads cycled reliably.
    I did have unburned grains of 4831 in the gas tube, and in the bolt/receiver area, but other than that, they shot fine.
    When I pulled the trigger, the tin cans fell over at about 100 long paces.
    Nope, I will not reveal the load data, I've just tossed out as some general information.

for 55fmj, . . . what ever is cheapest

55gr FMJ bullets are not known for great accuracy, but hornady are about the best bulk.

WC-844
    AA-2230
    win738
    H335
    BLC-2

most AR rifles will shoot really good groups with 52gr HPBT match and win748

IMR 8208 XBR and TAC for 77gr match

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Winchester 748 is a bit slower than H335 and is excellent with heavier bullets (62 gr +). H335 has always been my "go to" powder in the 223/5.56 with 52 - 55 gr jacketed bullets. To duplicate M193 ammunition I use LC cases, a CCI 450 or WSR primer and 26.5 gr H335. I use a Lee FCD to crimp in the cannelure groove.
    Question for Larry: Did you go with the CCI 450 (magnum) for any specific reason?
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I have bee using 748 for my AR, seems to work well, haven't shot it for groups yet. Love the way it meters through my powder measure, plus I also use it for 308 W. Recently bought a Savage Axis in .223. Haven't shot it yet. Both the Axis and the AR have 1:9 barrels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123