WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: AR-15 Barrel replace or install

Boolit Master

AR-15 Barrel replace or install

I am wanting an integrally suppressed 300 bo and I want to be able to swap barrels periodically as needs arrive. Un-suppressed 300 bo or 5.56, I really don't want a whole lot of duplicate complete uppers just barrel swaps or replacing. I've read quite a lot of articles and watched more youtube then necessary, however only one used go-no go-field gauges. Any input about this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Boolit Master

I would think having to remove the gas block and tube to remove the barrel nut might get tiresome. Stripped uppers are cheap. Buy a good quality bolt carrier and charging handle and just swap those from one upper to the other to keep cost down. This would also allow your optics to stay zeroed.

I have to agree. Look for a deal on uppers and get several along with handguards, gas blocks/tubes and muzzle attachments. The main reason the whole switch barrel uppers haven't ever taken off for ar15 uppers is that the kits themselves are expensive and more importantly the sights need rezeroed each time for best accuracy. As far as headspace guages, I'd get at least a no-go for each caliber. With as many companies making barrels these days it's cheap insurance.

Boolit Master

make them up as two separate uppers. Life's a lot simpler just having to pop the two takedown pins and replace the upper with the spare upper that is already zeroed and ready to go.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

id personally build complete uppers. changing barrels is something your ll do once or twice and tire of it. conversely there are some uppers designed for quick barrel changes, but last i seen were somewhat expensive.

Boolit Master

I too would go the route of a dedicated upper.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    You could consider something like the DOLOS quick-change barrel system, but you'll be spending more than if you just went with a dedicated upper

Boolit Master

Thanks, a lot of good info.
    Bill

I agree. AR prices are at bargain basement levels now. I vote two complete uppers. Or rifles.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    IMHO you are not removing the barrel extension from the barrel so you should not be changing headspace...just general information. So using headspace gauges should be at most a one time event.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

Now things and times have changed. I have a new barrel to install on an upper. Where I'm lacking experience is in installing the extension. Tools aren't the problem, it's the little things like the new barrel probably has the gas port already drilled, however installing the extension and matching the alignment of the pin and the port is where I'm a little lost. If any fine turning is necessary how does it effect the bolt and extension go no/go alignment/adjustment? I hope I'm posing this question properly.
    Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    Now things and times have changed. I have a new barrel to install on an upper. Where I'm lacking experience is in installing the extension. Tools aren't the problem, it's the little things like the new barrel probably has the gas port already drilled, however installing the extension and matching the alignment of the pin and the port is where I'm a little lost. If any fine turning is necessary how does it effect the bolt and extension go no/go alignment/adjustment? I hope I'm posing this question properly.
    Bill
    most any barrel you buy for an ar will already have the extension and pin on it. in its simplest form, you slide the barrel into an upper rcvr, screw on barrel nut and torque it, install gas block and gas tube, and slide a handguard over it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    most any barrel you buy for an ar will already have the extension and pin on it. in its simplest form, you slide the barrel into an upper rcvr, screw on barrel nut and torque it, install gas block and gas tube, and slide a handguard over it.
    This part I know, however this is a special wildcat barrel and I don't know how it comes. I just hoping for the best and preparing for the alternative.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Vendor Sponsor

I have not seen an AR barrel sold in the last couple years that does NOT come with the extension already installed ..
    Call whomever you are getting it from .You may save some worrying
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    This part I know, however this is a special wildcat barrel and I don't know how it comes. I just hoping for the best and preparing for the alternative.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    The .277 Wolverine barrels I purchased from MDWS all came with it installed, same as the other wildcat barrels available there. I would think any barrel maker would install the extension as part of the process.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I was guessing that call would be a Monday adventure.
    Thanks,
    Bill

This is a new avenue for me, I've reloaded, swaged Boolits and had $60-$80 an hour gunsmiths do work on my stuff before retirement.
    Last edited by just bill; 08-25-2018 at 03:02 PM.