Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2ADvertise hereLee PrecisionGraf & Sons

Thread: AR-15 Barrel replace or install

Boolit Master

AR-15 Barrel replace or install

I am wanting an integrally suppressed 300 bo and I want to be able to swap barrels periodically as needs arrive. Un-suppressed 300 bo or 5.56, I really don't want a whole lot of duplicate complete uppers just barrel swaps or replacing. I've read quite a lot of articles and watched more youtube then necessary, however only one used go-no go-field gauges. Any input about this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Boolit Master

I would think having to remove the gas block and tube to remove the barrel nut might get tiresome. Stripped uppers are cheap. Buy a good quality bolt carrier and charging handle and just swap those from one upper to the other to keep cost down. This would also allow your optics to stay zeroed.

I have to agree. Look for a deal on uppers and get several along with handguards, gas blocks/tubes and muzzle attachments. The main reason the whole switch barrel uppers haven't ever taken off for ar15 uppers is that the kits themselves are expensive and more importantly the sights need rezeroed each time for best accuracy. As far as headspace guages, I'd get at least a no-go for each caliber. With as many companies making barrels these days it's cheap insurance.

Boolit Master

make them up as two separate uppers. Life's a lot simpler just having to pop the two takedown pins and replace the upper with the spare upper that is already zeroed and ready to go.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

id personally build complete uppers. changing barrels is something your ll do once or twice and tire of it. conversely there are some uppers designed for quick barrel changes, but last i seen were somewhat expensive.

Boolit Master

I too would go the route of a dedicated upper.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    You could consider something like the DOLOS quick-change barrel system, but you'll be spending more than if you just went with a dedicated upper

Boolit Master

Thanks, a lot of good info.
    Bill

I agree. AR prices are at bargain basement levels now. I vote two complete uppers. Or rifles.