Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: 22-250 why do we do this to ourselves

Boolit Buddy

22-250 why do we do this to ourselves

When you find a good deal how do you pass it up. A winchester mod 70 xtr 22-250 just followed me home. Now will have to start loading for another caliber. Never thought I'd have one and traded away 6 boxes of jacketed last year. Want to try out some cast though. Anyone load cast....dumb question but this is the place to ask. So much reloading knowledge in these minds. Thanks guys! I'll post a picture later.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

My favorite cartridge since 1972. I've never shot cast in any of mine but you are correct, this is the place to find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I will be interested in your responses. I ended up with dies and brass somehow, but no gun. Now the gun buying itch is starting to get to me.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Got an early Savage 110 22-250.Shoots the Lee 55,not bator...as cast body,nose bumped with equipment built inhouse.4895,@25-2600 fps.Single digit ES enough to make you giddy.And accuracy that is worth bragging on....hovering 'round 1/2" @ 100.The best part is they're crimped...and get run up through the mag well.I have 50,100,150 yd targets out the back door....got indoor range as well.Full tilt custom heavy Fr rest.But more often than not,shoot the 250 off a buds bag.It's a slow twist factory,pencil brrl.It's only good for 5 shot groups.And normally I shoot as fast as possible.This is not a "bench" gun.It's my varmint rig.The load/rifle is pretty weather tolerant.

Full length resize,keeping shoulder set back juuust enough to get an easy bolt up.Annealing every other loading.The crimp is very delicate,but ensures good purchase running up the mag/feed ramp.Have some pretty extensive and $$$ bench equipment for checking run out.Again,built in our machine shop.Keeping run out around .001

Dacron filler,lube is 50/50 beeswax Vaseline but to be honest I don't know how much good it's doing?I'm lubing with a small pen knife,ONLY the space just above GC.The nose "bump" op and tooling is too hard to describe.

I tried uploading a pic the other day,one of my sportbikes on the ride thread.Barely above computer illiterate so got frustrated,again.Just have about zero interest in computers.But in any case,with the right tooling,lots of resources (machine shop),and unlimited range access it is possible to shoot cast about as good as custom JB's.

Banned

they shoot cast very well.
    I use the same loads as I do in the 223's and get about the same velocity.
    22.5grs of I-4895 and the rcbs 22-055s will get you about 2750 fps.
    .226 is a good diameter to start with.

the usual small bullet OCD picky-picky stuff applies.
    visual & weight sort, neck tension....

r5r- your last two sentences sum up why I haven't ventured there I suspect.

Boolit Grand Master
    never use cast in anything under 30 cal but that just the way I do it
    I used to cast 22 cal boolits but everything is so very small and I didn't
    want to cap the velocity on my swift
    sounds like you will have a fine shooting iron though however you decide
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The accuracy of a 22-250 comes from the 3300 fps the bullet goes, I recommend a FMJ - BT bullet.....I use 55 grain and 62 grain hornaday bullets ( 4.8 to 9 cents a bullet) and mine with cheap PPU ammo will go out past 800 meters and do it accurately.....

Aaron

Banned

I guess I never saw justification for shooting cast out of mine. I can shoot a 22 mag and for 50 rounds it probably doesn't cost anymore then buying brass, powder, primers, lead, molds ect to shoot the same speeds in my centerfires and do nothing but open the box load and fire. No hours of casting and loading. But to each there own I guess. But full power jacketed loads 22250s are what varmint guns are measured by.

Banned
    The wife shot a friends X model Remington and had to have one. Anyway one Remington 22-250 led to a second one. Sometimes its a blessing to have a wife tht loves guns and sometimes its a lot of extra work. Anyway I couldn't be happier that the wife enjoys shooting with me even with the extra work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethemgo View Post
    When you find a good deal how do you pass it up. A winchester mod 70 xtr 22-250 just followed me home. Now will have to start loading for another caliber. Never thought I'd have one and traded away 6 boxes of jacketed last year. Want to try out some cast though. Anyone load cast....dumb question but this is the place to ask. So much reloading knowledge in these minds. Thanks guys! I'll post a picture later.
    I'll get slapped for this one but why would you pick a high velocity caliber and load cast bullets? The accuracy that the 22-250's are famous for simply isn't going to be there with lead cast bullets in my opinion.

Winchester & .22-250 are both dear to my heart.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'll get slapped for this one but why would you pick a high velocity caliber and load cast bullets? The accuracy that the 22-250's are famous for simply isn't going to be there with lead cast bullets in my opinion.
    Who says I can't shoot both? I just finished putting a 1:14 .22-250 ER Shaw barrel on a Savage 110 I had, and today's test loads show it is a keeper with jacketed. Next trip will be with the Lee C225.
    Back in the land of boolits.