Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: glock extended mag release options

Boolit Master

glock extended mag release options

I shoot a glock 34 Gen 4, factory except for storm lake barrel. I shoot in a practical pistol league every week and over the past few months every once in a wile I press the mag release under recoil. I know I can change my grip but was wondering options on extended mag releases. I know I'm riding the top of it with my thumb and if it was longer I think I wouldn't hit it but ride the side of it, kinda like riding the safety on a 1911. Button size isn't a issue just the length

Boolit Master

Why is your thumb near the mag release? The thumb should be way higher unless your hands just physically will not allow it.

I tried the extended Glock one then went with one like this. I don't remember which one I got but it only has one screw instead of two like this one. I have not had any issues with either but have been using extended releases for over 20 years.

http://www.glockstore.com/Tear-Drop-Mag-Catch
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master
    I get get the practical reason for the request so I am not commenting on that.

Do you shoot better with the low thumb for some reason? Sometimes you gotta run the gun the way it
    needs to be held.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an extended release on my G23, whenever I holstered it the release would get pressed and the mag would pop out, this happened with several different style holsters, it's back stock now.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    Under pressure it's very hard for me to get the higher grip, I know I need to practice more than 45sec each week. Time for extra practice is nonexipstent lol. As far as hitting better, it's a wash I think.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would suggest higher thumb placement and leave the release stock.

I have one on all my Glocks and I had to file the corners of all of them. They dig into the base of my weak side thumb.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'll get some skate board tape and put a small section to make a memory spot to help with the placement

Boolit Master

Good idea

Boolit Master
    i just filed it down some so it is taller than the regular (non-extended) but somewhat shorter and smoother than the higher model 34 one
    Loren

Banned

that was my experience with them. especially in an in the waist band holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    I had an extended release on my G23, whenever I holstered it the release would get pressed and the mag would pop out, this happened with several different style holsters, it's back stock now.

Jim: Your grip sounds like a serious problem. If you are not having the web of your hand all the way up under beavertail of the gun you need to start.

This is important to insure you are gripping the gun the same way every time. Also your thumbs should be pretty much up next to the slide. not down around the mag release.

I would highly recommend a trip to a Front Sight Defensive Pistol Training Class so that you can get the basics in before you develop so many bad habits that you shooting never progresses past the "I suck level."

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Extended release is fantastic, may not cure your problem, certainly not the root but for the cost of a value meal why not try it? Glock OEM hit the edges with some sand paper. Got my last from NDZ.

Err I think the 34 comes with one. Nevermind.