RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyponatremia ????

Boolit Grand Master

Hyponatremia ????

I go to the doctor , not feeling well, he checks me over and before I can figure out what happened, I'm in the hospital .
    They keep telling me I have Hyponatremia....I'm no doctor , I have never heard of it.
    I honestly believe I'm going to die. Every medical person who comes into the room , I keep asking them .."am I going to die "..every one reassures me that I'm not going to die....but I still feel like the end is near.
    They keep telling me the sodium level in my blood is too low. They give me an IV and some big horse tablets.
    Finally I get better and they discharge me.
    Looking at discharge instructions at home.....they say

" Hyponatremia occures when the amount of sodium (salt) in your blood is lower than normal. " What ...not enough salt...I thought salt was bad for you !

" Nutrition : You need to increase your intake of sodium (salt). Foods that are high in sodium include milk , cheese , packaged snacks such as pretzels , processed meats , bacon, sausage and ham . "

Have you ever had a doctor advise you to eat MORE bacon, sausage, ham and cheese ?
    These are my favorite foods...along with cracklings !

Wait...I wonder if I did die and now I'm in Pork Heaven ! Naw, this can't be heaven ...I still have them pesky doctor bills to pay !

Don't let anyone tell you if you avoid salt it will be good for you.....not true.
    If you don't get enough you will end up in hospital.
    True my blood pressure was real low , only 112 - 113 but it liked to have killed me.
    Getting more sodium now .... blood pressure back to 140 , but that will just have to do .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Basic reason for the 'sports' drink electrolyte.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Yep, if you sweat a lot working or playing outdoors, and drink water only, you are headed for trouble. Gatorade should be alternated with water to keep some balance between hydration and electrolyte levels. If you drink too much Gatorade (like I used to do when working steel), you could develop kidney stones, due to the potassium and calcium content, because you can't flush it out of your system fast enough. Can you give some more info as to the circumstances? Without violating HIPAA, of course.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Each year it changes....Salt/eggs/milk/coffee/wine-beer/butter/red meat/dairy....Good for ya, bad for ya?!?!?!?!

I don't listen to any of it! Eat what you want when you are hungry in moderation. Drink water when you're thirsty. Done deal.

I remember a few years back the craze was walking around with an obscenely large bottle of water. I never did it and got ridiculed for it. People in my chain of command said I wasn't drinking enough water......Later on the consensus among the medical community was that forcefully drinking water all day may be bad for you...Hmmmm....

When I go to the VA for my 6 months check up They tell me that I must be watching what I eat and drink due to my BP, which is around 110 over 70 every time. They tell me it's a nice low BP. I let them know I drink coffee, smoke a pipe and eat whatever the heck I want! They said "whatever you're doing, keep doing it".

To the OP I hope you get to feeling better. Go get some big crusty salty pretzels and enjoy.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    Yep, if you sweat a lot working or playing outdoors, and drink water only, you are headed for trouble. Gatorade should be alternated with water to keep some balance between hydration and electrolyte levels. If you drink too much Gatorade (like I used to do when working steel), you could develop kidney stones, due to the potassium and calcium content, because you can't flush it out of your system fast enough. Can you give some more info as to the circumstances? Without violating HIPAA, of course.
    Good advice ....I was only drinking water and according to the Doctor...get this...I was drinking too much water, it flushed the sodium out before absorption ! They restricted my intake of water for a week to get the sodium level in my blood back up! All of this just sounds backwards .
    Gary

EMC45 ,
    I'm all good now. one of the symtoms was loss of appitite , I had lost a few pounds and was all happy about that but with that new nutrition plan..... it's back on now. BLT's with extra B and cheese are not exactly non fattening !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-11-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

the fact is your body needs most of the things that are bad for you, but it only needs moderate amounts of them. too much, or even too little can be bad!

Boolit Master
    wife spent 4 days in hospital her potassium dropped too low.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you're better. There is a thin line on enough/not enough and its hard to balance it out.

Boolit Master

My aunt has the same problem low blood pressure. She has always been very fit, now her doctor is telling her to consume more salt. I doubt this is that unusual.
    Best wishes to you and your health.

Boolit Master

Some fried country ham in a biscuit with an over easy egg every morning ought to cure that problem.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    wife spent 4 days in hospital her potassium dropped too low.
    my mother was hospitalized for that too. docs said too much longer and it wouldnt be good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    My aunt has the same problem low blood pressure. She has always been very fit, now her doctor is telling her to consume more salt. I doubt this is that unusual.
    Best wishes to you and your health.
    My old boss was exactly the same. Told to eat more salt.

My brother came within hours of dying recently because he took too much ibuprofen. Doesn't take much to throw things out of whack. Fortunately the body has a really good system for eliminating excess salt.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus

Doc flat out told me on hot days to eat something salty if my body is craving it. I have been known to grab a pinch of salt when gardening to keep my system replenished... doesn't help I am on a diuretic that removes salt but spares potassium... and I pour sweat working in the garden on hot days, literally dips off my head, into my eyes, onto my glasses...

Boolit Buddy
    Just this morning my chiropractor told me his former pastor had died. He was sick and the doctor told him his salt was low and had to add salt to his diet, but because his heart doctor told him to go salt free, he refused and it killed him, true? I don’t know

Boolit Master
    My sister lost muscle control awhile back and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. They said her sodium content was so low it wouldn't register.
    Apparently it was due to one of her medications, I don't know which.
    I know for a fact she has always put salt on her breakfast eggs and fried potatoes.

After that I started taking a dash of salt in water several times a day and began to feel much better than usual.

The non salt diets are not meant for everyone. Salt is natural and necessary for good health.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Parson View Post
    Just this morning my chiropractor told me his former pastor had died. He was sick and the doctor told him his salt was low and had to add salt to his diet, but because his heart doctor told him to go salt free, he refused and it killed him, true? I don’t know
    Did he ask the GP to call the Cardiologist?
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    The human body tends to hoard sodium, and excrete potassium. Why your body doesn't retain/reabsorb sodium is a question for a better trained mind than mine, but it suggests to me that something isn't as it should be, and I don't think it's your exclusive use of water as a beverage. Your physicians may be modifying your diet and engaging in what's called "watchful waiting" to see if the symptoms resolve on their own, or if something of greater diagnostic relevance appears. I hope for all the world that my apprehensions are in error, but I don't think you are quite done with this condition.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

I take anything the learned Drs. say with a grain of salt. After all they are just practicing. As good as medicine seems to be, its only your Drs. SWAG when he advises you. That's why a second opinion is wise.
    As far as salt, it's necessary, but an excess is to be avoided as with everything else. Even water is lethal when over consumed.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Hyponatremia is very real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I salt everything I eat! I have been called out before by folks for salting food they made before trying it. I just let them know it's customary for to salt it then try it.

I always snicker when a new fad diet comes along.... Like lemmings folks I know or have worked with jump onboard headlong into these diets - Atkins, Paleo, Caveman, Vegan, etc. etc. Just eat smartly and get moderate exercise. I also take a multi vitamin as well.

When I was a kid sweets were my thing. I could eat sweet junk food all day long - Cookies, cake, candy soda etc. Now a days I like salty stuff like pretzels, chips, deli trays, cheese etc. I can go without the sweets for sure, but the docs say I have low blood sugar and need some sweets throughout the day. A mini candy bar is the ticket.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast