Thread: Deer

Boolit Mold

Deer

2017 deer Runfiveruns
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171010_212348.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Nice looking deer, cast bullpen used?

Banned

swaged bullet using one of BT Snipers die sets.
    I used a sierra jacket and a 3% antimony core.
    I weight swaged the core then bonded it to the jacket and water dropped them from the cooker while they were still about 575-F.
    I then cleaned the scale in the wet tumbler and point formed them, then let them sit to allow the water dropping to take effect.
    I had to take a poke at him at a bit over 400 yds but the bullet [at about 2800fps] and the Bergara 30-06 were both up to the task.
    I hit him just behind the ribs and pushed all the way through the opposite side right in front of the off side shoulder. [about 3"s to the right and about 2"s low of where I was aiming]
    the bullet nicked the liver tore up and bruised the lungs and filled the heart with jellied blood [without hitting it] before punching a rib on the way out.
    I would say it was about 2 notches above a regular sierra pro hunter bullet and I'm completely happy with the results.

we won't discuss the 3+hr. drag down the mountain or my having to ask a passing truck for help loading him.
    or the Ibuprofen.
    I have been working on this particular set-up for about 3 years now, and the corbin jacket for the 308 for a little while longer.
    I have the 308 performing pretty close to the Remington core-lock cannelure and all.

Boolit Buddy
    Looking good.
    " CANCER SUCKS" I swage .224, 6mm, 7mm, .308, 9mm, .40, .429. Also 9 to 30 jackets, and 9 to 9 jackets.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! and Very Nice!

And Welcome to CB, GRANDMA1!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Ah the three hour drag . . . I can't get those done anymore - But I can remember them. Great lookin Mulie
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Nice mulie Lamar, big enough to warrant the drag.
    Are you thinking about a winch on top of a headache rack to help load?
    Or maybe that mythical hunting spot where you hunt on such steep ground that they just fall in the back of the truck.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Very nice deer.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    NICE buck, imo.

yours, tex

Banned

well I tried the roll down the hill thing.
    they usually slam into a tiny 2" rock and I still have to go up and get them.

this guy actually slid/rolled down the hill towards the truck [for once] in the frost covered grass for quite a ways.
    he got all tangled up in some buck brush or he would have saved me a good hour of dragging.
    the slide down the hill is what confused me, It took quite some time finding him because there was no way he was walking that far and I had lost sight of him and wasn't 100% positive he had went down especially after the other deer started running right past where he was.
    which prevented me from taking another shot, since I was double checking he wasn't one of the ones running away.
    [with a shot that far some doubt starts creeping into your mind no matter how long you watched him do the staggering moon walk]

I missed the spot where they had been on the walk over/up and had to back track the other deer's foot prints to where I shot him.
    then he wasn't there, and the blood wasn't there to follow, and no hoof prints were there, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what had happened. [and even more doubt as to whether I had even hit him at this point, this is a wide open grassy slope]
    I looked further down the hill and seen him tangled up in the buck brush, and could cipher out what happened on my way down to him.

Boolit Buddy
    It would have been easier to drag if you lopped of the outer foot or so of each antler. ;^) My policy is 1) never kill an animal that is still moving toward my truck and 2) try not to shoot down hill. I hope you have a spot on your wall for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice buck! Sounds like you had fun dragging and loading Congratulations nice
    Charter Member #148

Banned

I'm not getting him taxidermy mounted.
    i'll do a plaque mount and replace the 22" wide 3x4 I got last year.
    he will probably look small sitting next to the 30" one I did get mounted a couple of years ago, but he has a ton of symmetry.

I'm getting too old for the 3 hr drag thing too.
    it would have been about 1.0 hrs 20 years ago, and about 30 minutes 30 years ago.

Dawn [Littlegirl] got her Buck this morning about 1/2 the distance up [and a lot closer shot] and the kids had it to the truck in about 20 minutes.

Vendor Sponsor

Awesome! Don't know how I missed this thread. Great job and awesome buck.

I have been busy getting a new bullet ready for elk season. A 315 grain .375 made from 223 brass and an awesome 230 grain 30 cal using 1.3" RCE jackets. I'll post details soon.

Again, great job!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Banned

if I had a tip forming die I could almost 100% duplicate the sierra bullet.
    the Die set I got from you is within .001 in matching where the ogive hits.
    the only major difference is about .0005 in diameter.

of course the extra work I put in is the difference in the terminal effects.
    but that is almost always the difference in a home done something and a mass produced something.

it is almost amazing that mass produced bullets are as good as they are.