Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer scents,,, what works,,, what doesn't??

Banned
    in all honesty, the only thing i use is scent free, uv killer detergent. the uv killer is the only reason i buy and use it.

i have tried buck bombs, doe estrus(many different kinds), forehead scent, apple, ground,.....you could name it, i probably have tried it. but the uv killer works ( http://www.bowhuntingoutlet.com/u-v-...BoCt7sQAvD_BwE ). i have had many deer that were upwind of me that kept on doing what they were doing. now i wasn't waving my arms, but i do little movements(from arms, head, etc).

the unscented, i don't care much about it. uv killer, i'm all in.

I saw and killed more deer when I smoked,,,no joking..This is a fact...Often had to butt out the cigarette to shoot. The doe pee in a bottle, I don't use and have never had any luck, prolly was northern pee not southern pee.. I do think the UV stuff has some merit.

Banned

I had a guy who was a pretty accomplished bowhunter and had killed quite a few good bucks say he would dip wintergreen Skoal or Copenhagen (can't remember which) and spit on the ground under his tree stand. He swore it attracted them. I'm not gonna do it just because the stuff is so gross. I've also heard crushing up cheap peppermint candy into little piles brings them in. No experience.

Boolit Master

wow good stories, my buddy would about chain smoke on watch during bow season- always got a buck, my nephew makes similar claim. My brother spent a bundle on scent blocker stuff, etc. then while hanging his bare butt over a fallen tree to do a #2, an 8 pointer runs by and he plugs it, pants around his ankles. I have used the scents ( various) and had bucks fallow me or my track. I tie a small rag dipped in scent to my boot lace and walk in. I got a buck once that way by walking a large circle and posting in a tree in the center. I think it makes a huge difference if in farm land with many houses and scents or deep woods hunting. With more hunters it is all jumbled and more of a **** shoot.
    Sighting in last weekend, while shooting down the hay field at about 100yds, a bunch of deer came out to feed about 100yds further out. go figure

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

deer are curious animals they come to scents to see whats going on deer pee tobacco the ham sandwich you got in the backpack, I have use plain doe urine on my boots and watch deer track me to the tree sniffing the ground. A old timer told me if you use a cover scent like fox urine the deer just thinks you came into the woods with a fox with a bad bladder. I wash my cloths in the soap they say kills UV shine but besides that I sit still and watch in a box stand in a climber I go as high as I can. Good luck to everyone this year and be safe.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

I use the soap with no scent the night before season. I pack my hunting clothes in a large duffle bag with some wafers that smell like dirt. As a result I go to the woods smelling like dirt and hopefully the soap the night before helps with my scent. I also use something like Tinks 69 in a 35mm film canister with a cotton ball soaked with the scent. I hot glue a clothes pin to the side of the canister and clip it to a limb about 4' or 5' off the ground about 50 yards from my tree stand. I have lured in nice bucks on a couple of occasions with the Tinks. However I have not lured in whitetails more than I have brought them in. I look at it this way, it is a cheap and easy thing to do as I go to my stand. I don't think it hurts anything and might actually help 10% of the time. I need all the help I can get so I do it for the first few days of deer season. I believe that preseason planning, picking a good spot with known deer activity from trail cameras ahead of time and proper stand placement along with being as quiet and still as possible is more important than using various scents.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Nothing works 100% except being downwind.

When the bucks are chasing though, Buck Bomb Estrus brings them in.

Also, interdigital gland scent works. I put some on my boots 100 yards from my stand and a young buck smelled it 40 yards out and followed the trail away from me. The scent is stronger where you put it on and gets weaker the further away you are. So, the buck followed it in the direction that the scent was stronger, like if it was another deer.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Fact is I used Tinks 69 for yrs and even used scent lines with it forming a fishhook laying it down so the deer came to me and the followed the hook . The end result as the deer came to the end he would be quartering (hunt with recurve) and that was the end . Worked great for field edges with multiple entries during
    the rut as you covered more ground ,does responded to Trails End as a curiosity /pre rut scent . So yup it ain"t no lie worked for me ,fed family w/2 kids and had fun doing it/Ed

Boolit Master
    I put out some doe scent on a rag, with a game camera,,,,,,,2 days and got nothing !!

What did that Seminole Indian bathe in the night before his hunt?

Now you Know he smelled like a boar hog all worked up but was able to feed the tribe... Granted, our diet has a lot to do with our order... Just having some fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    What did that Seminole Indian bathe in the night before his hunt?

Now you Know he smelled like a boar hog all worked up but was able to feed the tribe... Granted, our diet has a lot to do with our order... Just having some fun.
    I have an opinion on how he did it having discovered it by accident several years back. Ive used it many times since and have no doubts about it working. Since I hunt out of a tent camp showering is not something I do. I stand in the smoke frome the fire. I open my coat and try to saturate my clothes with it. If it's cold out I hunt over a very small fire usually between my legs. Whichever way the wind is moving my scent the smoke is already there covering it. I no longer pay any attention to the wind since it tends to shift around a lot.
    Some guys poo poo this but I couldn't tell you how many deer I've killed over a small fire that never knew I was there. Often at handgun ranges.
    My opinion is that the Indians were very smoky which covered the man smell.
    When I'm well smoked or have a fire Ive yet to have a deer or coyote bust me.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I used to wash my cloths in baking soda, put cloths in bag with pine needles or leafs, use cover scents including skunk and attractants like Tinks 69. I did this mostly for bow hunting. Then while gun hunting without any of the hocus I've had deer walk right up with in 3ft of me. I service oil heat, smoke and don't do anything special for my clothes and or body scent. My buddy chewed and said the same about spitting wintergreen, deer would come up and lick it. I park within 30-50yrds of my hunting spots as well. I hunt a mix of farmland & open woods it's about 600acres and has houses on the outskirts. The deer here are used to the noise/smells/cars ect. I once was eating out of the back of my SUV when a large 10pt buck came out 30yrds in front of truck I saw him through my windshield. Was bedded behind a house they have learned no one is hunting close to the houses and parked cars aren't a threat. I blew the shot and it an up the hill close to the land owners house. 2 days later one of the other members got him behind the land owners house. Back country deer prob. different but suburban deer don't seem to mind.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 10-14-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

No idea but the Northern Tribes would use a sweat lodge.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12