Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Really Good Fall Recipe For Squash Casserole

Vendor Sponsor

Really Good Fall Recipe For Squash Casserole

My gf makes this dish with butternut squash, and it is REALLY good!! Here is her recipe as adapted from a Cooks.com recipe for Stuffed Autumn Acorn Squash. We made it with acorn squash a few times so if that's what you have you can use it just look up the cooks dot com recipe and go from there.

Cary's Squash Casserole

2 to 3 Cups cooked butternut squash
    4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (1/2 stick)
    1 lb. hot Italian sausage
    1 box cornbread stuffing mix
    1 1/2 c. chicken broth
    8 oz. mushrooms
    1/2 c. yellow onion
    1/2 c. corn
    1/4 c. red bell pepper
    1/4 c. toasted pine nuts
    3 ea. cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Sauté onions, corn and bell pepper until softened, add mushrooms and garlic half-way through.

In a bowl, mix together raw sausage, cooked squash, uncooked stuffing mix, broth, 1/2 stick of melted butter, sautéed vegetables, pine nuts and parsley.

Spoon mixture into a number 10 cast iron skillet.

Cover and bake at 350F for 1 hour or until temp in center measures 165F

Remove cover and continue to bake uncovered until top crisps, about 15 minutes.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I just made squash a few days ago, but did my favorite. Cut an acorn squash in half, steam cut side down in the oven in a baking dish with 1/2 inch of water until almost tender. Flip, salt, add a teaspoon of butter, then fill with brown sugar. Back in to bake until the sugar and butter get caramel like...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I just made squash a few days ago, but did my favorite. Cut an acorn squash in half, steam cut side down in the oven in a baking dish with 1/2 inch of water until almost tender. Flip, salt, add a teaspoon of butter, then fill with brown sugar. Back in to bake until the sugar and butter get caramel like...
    Sounds just like my wife. When she pulls them back out of the oven after the butter & brown sugar she lets them cool a little and gives them just a light drizzle of fresh fall honey. Beef Rump roast, mashed new potatoes, gravy, and the squash. Just a splash of homemade ketchup on the roast beef, yum. Time to dig some horseradish. A few nights ago we had a Blue Guatemalan squash, tonight we had a Knife River squash.

All this fall baking & cooking is going to do me in.

I grew up on acorn squash cut in half, fill the seed hollow with ground pork or Italian sausage. It remains one of my favorite fall meals.

Best to lightly brown the meat then fill. Otherwise it turns into a giant solid meatball.

Moderator Emeritus

I am getting more into fall cooking mode and away from the lighter summer fare. Out of roasts until December though! Ordered 1/4 of beef 2 days ago, 201 pounds. $664 give or take for grass fed organic beef. Looking forward to a steak again!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I grew up on acorn squash cut in half, fill the seed hollow with ground pork or Italian sausage. It remains one of my favorite fall meals.

Best to lightly brown the meat then fill. Otherwise it turns into a giant solid meatball.
    That is very much what this dish tastes like too! If you like the taste of acorn squash filled with sausage, you would like this casserole..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.