Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Disassembly of the new style Lee bullet molds

Boolit Buddy

Disassembly of the new style Lee bullet molds

The old molds were quite easy to disassemble but the new style have ,what looks to be, allen head set screws. Anyone know what is required to remove these?

Boolit Master
    These look like allen head set screws but are actually a helical cut pin, pressed in, and into a blind hole none the less. The only trick is to locate the blind end of the other side, drill it through and knock the pressed in pins out. Really not a horrible task but you might end up drilling/tapping the blocks to take another arrangement to "pin" the blocks back on the handles afterwards.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    These look like allen head set screws but are actually a helical cut pin, pressed in, and into a blind hole none the less. The only trick is to locate the blind end of the other side, drill it through and knock the pressed in pins out. Really not a horrible task but you might end up drilling/tapping the blocks to take another arrangement to "pin" the blocks back on the handles afterwards.
    Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated!

Boolit Mold
    After you beat it enough to try to get the bullet to drop, the pin just falls out. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ktoons View Post
    After you beat it enough to try to get the bullet to drop, the pin just falls out. Ugh.
    Sweet first post ktoons........
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Hahahaha!
    Ain’t it the truth!
    Good answer, and welcome aboard ktoons.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

If bullets don't drop easy after a couple of uses, clean well, soap and water and toothbrush. Run hotter than you think you should, frosted bullets, and let cool again and if hot, they should drop easy. I find my Lee's drop easier than some of my aluminum noe

Super Moderator

..............The 'screws' to hold the handles on are NOT screws. They're "Drive rivits" and have a very slow thread pitch. They're only truly intended to go in, and NOT come out. Those of us old enough to have had experience with Chevy cast iron V-8 intake manifolds will remember them from the sheet metal insulator riveted to their underside. I have had some success when using needle nose Vise-Grip pliers on them. Once clamped on, pull UP and also slowly twist counter clockwise at the same time.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    With the original single Lee molds I quickly came to the conclusion that I was having no more it after just one sample. When they came to their senses and used the pin design I have now purchased 4 of them. This was a much needed improvement. I have not had to beat the molds to get a drop except for the 1 ounce drive key slug mold which I dropped and damaged the core, my bad.

Since new members browse here, I remind us to NOT strike the mold on the blocks in an attempt to get a drop. The hing pin nut is the place and a few modest strikes are better than a home run swing.

prs