Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Score! A lovely smorgasbord of vintage reloadin' gear & components!

Boolit Master

Score! A lovely smorgasbord of vintage reloadin' gear & components!

So our local competition pistol club takes us across a number of our local ranges/gun stores which im pretty much 1st name basis with. One such place is always flowing with interesting things passing through their hands and they cut us some slack on prices and know some of us well, myself included, they keep us up to date on the freshest offerings. These guys know I have an eclectic taste in guns and weird or special stuff including reloading and casting items. It happens that Bullseye Range got a bunch of stuff from an estate to sell on consignment. The guns go to display cases but mixed reloading gear usually doesn't hit the floor. It's a mess to deal with for them and they have enough people like myself to absorb this stuff. So my eyes fell upon a few boxes of goodies had old reloading tools and components which I scored some good stuff! I got all the items pictured for $50!!! I was very pleased with what I got for the price including some things I need!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	205649

From the left-to-rightish:
    • Bag of 210gr. .44cal half-jackets,
    • Bag of identical 125gr .357 half-jackets. These look like Sierra or Remington bullets but who knows.
    • Some old 38 special brass, mostly Browning and S&W headstamp. Can't say I've ever seen old Browning brass before. I know there's newly produced Browning ammo but this certainly isn't that. I'm kind of a nerd for old brass, old headstamps! Also a Peter's loaded WC in there.
    • Couple vintage boxes, S&W 9mm ammo and Remington components, 9mm brass.
    • Lyman All-American .44 Special dies w/ shell holders, trim pilots, etc.
    • Military rifle bore cleaner! Another thing i'm a junkie for... old militaria! I know this old Rifle Bore Cleaner is sworn upon by many! Full can too!
    • Speer 110gr. .357 half-jacket HP's
    • Sierra 180gr. .44 cal JHC's
    • Hornady 9mm 124gr. FMJ's
    • Old metal LEE hand primer w/ several shellholders
    • Old Flambeau powder funnel
    • Vintage Speer "Target 38" plastic, primer powered practice rounds! One box of "brass"/red plastic bases and one box of black plastic "bullets" Neat!
    • Pacific .357 Magnum Dura-chrome die set w/shellholders, trim pilots, etc.
    • LEE Unitized Loader for Rifle Cartridges. Unfortunately it's unmarked as to caliber and the data sheet is missing which would have the cartridge information. At a quick glance, it seems to possibly be .223 or some other small bore 22 cal rifle cartridge. The hand squeeze priming tool is pretty neat and the set is in good condition minus some peening of the decapping rod.

The cherry on top: A minty nice condition, complete, round-tray Auto-Prime set! Appears to be very lightly used, great condition w/box! Whole box of stuff was worth the Auto-Prime alone! I know this hand primer is sworn upon and getting hard to come by!

For an extra $30 I also grabbed an older Midway, pre-Tipton branded, gun vise. Just needs a good clean!

I love finds like this!
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 10-10-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned
    were you wearing a mask at the time nice score

Boolit Buddy
    Still have several full boxes (mixed calibers) of Browning headstamped factory rifle ammo - circa 1975
    Still have about 50 38 Cal and 50 44 cal Speer plastic cases and bullets. Cases last about 10-15 reloads before splitting side of cases.
    30 years ago started scarfing up range brass, enlarging flash holes and using X-Ring rubber bullets instead. ( avail from midway )
    My kids grew up shooting these in the garage on snow days. They made their own targets (which they loved to do and added to their fun.)

Anyway -congats on your score. Worth every penny. And I would bet that there were individuals in your group that just could not understand why you would spend good money on that old stuff.. LOL

Ron

Boolit Master

Most excellent!!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I love it! I love the hunt for the stuff I like also. Antique malls and places like that are a good time to me! I don't think most of my shooting buddies think i'm nuts for wanting this stuff, more in awe of my knowledge of a lot of this stuff! That I can place Cast Boolits forum for being a top-notch teacher!

I may give a few of the Speer Target 38's a try but they will go in my display case with the other box art and things. I did take a number of .38 Special brass and opened up the flash hole and load these with hot glue wadcutters for quiet fun!

I sure appreciate it when life throws a guy a bone once in a while!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Nice score. I'm still waiting for my bone, been waiting for it for a lot of years too!
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Very nice find. Looks like you did very well indeed.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    Yes, im quite happy with the outcome! I might have a second rummage Sunday through the stuff. There was also an RCBS Uniflow, a Pacific/Hornady O-frame single stage there (probably about a 1980's vintage) and a Lyman case trimmer, and a few other things left. Hope this scenario plays out more often!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Very nice haul some good stuff there.

Boolit Buddy
    It is amazing what you can find if you look around. I was in some random pawn shop recently and he had 200 federal small pistol primers on his shelf. I have not been able to find them anywhere. I asked him if he had any more and he said " a **** load." turns out he had 9 cases of them. He said he was glad to get rid of them
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 10-24-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Language filter violation

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumkles View Post
    It is amazing what you can find if you look around. I was in some random pawn shop recently and he had 200 federal small pistol primers on his shelf. I have not been able to find them anywhere. I asked him if he had any more and he said " a **** load." turns out he had 9 cases of them. He said he was glad to get rid of them
    Sounds like you hit the Holy Grail of reloading components! I've tried to lay my hands on any Federal standard SP's since I'm a competitive shooter and have a number of guns with lightened ignition systems that are the most reliable on Federal standard SP's. I don't even care if I had to pay more for Gold Medal's over the regular ones. I'm swimming in Federal SPM's but they aren't quite as sensitive. I'd eat Ramen noodles for a while to snap up a hoard of Federal SSP's!
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 10-24-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: edited quote
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Mold
    Very nice score . I like the feeling when you get in your truck and head home after a deal comes together and everthing works out for you .

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like such a nice haul that you aren't even mentioning a couple of nice things. The pre-Auto Prime near the middle of the picture is a good example. Some of us treasure those above the Auto Prime!

As for the Lee Untized Loader, you should be able to find a caliber stamped on the body of the die. I can't tell for sure how complete that set may be, but if it is for a pistol caliber it may have the additional advantage of full length sizing as well.

There's a lot more interesting stuff there. I can only say you had a most excellent day!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

Please do NOT offer to buy and/or Sell in the open forum...we have a "Sellin and Swappin" section for that...and before posting in the "selling and Swappin" section, please re-read the rules, as they have been updated on June 30 2017.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...amp-Definitons
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001