Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about RCBS Pro Melt

Banned

ive used promelts for years and before that a lyman pot. Never had a PID and never remember ever thinking to myself I need better heat control. Ive casted ALOT of bullets in the last 45 years I'm sure the number ends in 6 zeros. but that said every has different prioritys and different toys. What ever trips your trigger. Bottom line is other then maybe a magma pot your going to have to look hard to find a pot better then the old rcbs pro melt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the older model Pro Melt. I just love it. Guess I have had it for fifteen years or so. Best money I ever spent on reloading equipment. Worth every penney. If I had to replace it for some reason, I would want another one just like it. I cant see how the newer model would be an improvement. But again, I have never seen one. /Chris

I have a Pro Melt going on 20 years now I have casted everything from fish sinkers , Dive wit. and of course bullets only had a drip problem once when a piece of wire got into the spout don't ask , me how I still don't know other than that the old stile is one of the best only thing better is a Magma pot which I have D Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    Called RCBS about a week ago for parts to a Lubamatic press and asked them about the release date. They said there were problems that had to be corrected before it is released. They didn't expect it to hit the market till about Black Friday.
    That 2nd sentence would be the tip-off for me. "Newer model" are 2 scary words when you consider how well the "Older model" works. Mine has worked like a fine watch ever since I bought it used 5 yrs ago. I wonder if these "problems" are being corrected by someone in China?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit2 View Post
    I'm preparing to upgrade my casting equipment by purchasing an RCBS Pro Melt melting pot. The new Pro Melt II has digital temperature control, but no one has any in stock. No idea when they'll be in stock. Mid South Shooters Supply has the original Pro Melt in stock but it's $100 higher priced than the new model. Wondering whether I should wait for the new digital model, or suck it up and buy the original model. Currently I'm using a Lee drip-a-matic. It works, but is annoying. Opinions please on which model to purchase. Thank you!
    I have heard absolutely NOTHING but positive things about the pro melt. Heck, I even bought one used and am just now going to get around to setting it up. I have not turned it on yet but it looks nice. I would say to look around for an original pro melt and find it on sale. PLUS RCBS has that GET GREEN rebate now where if you buy an item under $500 you get a $100 rebate on it. I just bought a pro chucker 5 for $400 on Amazon. All done and said should be $329 (they charged tax). But gotta love them GET GREEN rebates. there are other values too. As for the Lee dripping, I no longer have that issue. I rounded off the edge slightly with emery paper and made the plug nice and smooth, then when something fouls the hole and makes it start to drip, I do what Lee told me and I will push down on the plug and twist back and forth to sort of grind out what is caught in there. But lately, I have had 0 issues with dripping. It works. I heard better things about the RCBS pro melt, but the Lee is an excellent beginner's pot. Also, I recall someone made one into a lead ingot warmer, so when their Pro Melt pot got low, they open the spout and pour in the lead from the Lee. Not a bad way to run things in my book. I say grind out the Lee and live with it for another month while you hunt down a good price on a pro melt. And remember, I THINK there might be $100 rebate in it, check on the GET GREEN rebate to be sure though.

Boolit Mold

Searched, but seems nothing newer came up, so here goes.

Looks like the original PRO MELT is discontinued and I'm not finding any in stock through the usual distributors. Called RCBS just now and they said the PRO MELT 2 is expected to be in distributors' inventories in about a month.

Given RCBS' outstanding reputation across the web, I'm willing to be their guinea pig on the new PRO MELT, but there still isn't one for me to even buy. Lyman 25 reviews are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Not sure I'm down with a Lee pot, but if I did, a PID would seem to make the price much less cheap. A Magma seems to be out of my budget.

Is there some other option I'm not considering?

Boolit Bub
    Get the old model, the potentiometer is going to last a heck of a lot longer than the semi-conductor(s) in the new model.

Boolit Master

If the old one is being discontinued, I'd better get on the horn and order up all the parts to re-build mine. Even though it is still working fine, it is over 40 years old and really showing its age. All the steel spigot parts topside are completely rusted from years in a humid garage and the paint has been peeling off for decades. I'd like to completely strip it, find some correct green hammer paint and put it back together for another lifetime of casting. Even the RCBS decal on the front has shrunk and distorted from the thousands of hours of heat...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I was wondering that too - the newer one is $100 cheaper than the old one??

The old one is a pretty solid unit.
    I can't speak of the newer model. I have the older model bought used about 88 or 89. It's still working as well as it did years ago. The only problem was my fault. Got molten lead on the cord and repaired it with tape. Months later in the middle of a casting session cord shorted out tripping a circuit breaker. Took it to a small appliance repair facility, got a new cord and its worked just fine since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12