Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about RCBS Pro Melt

Question Question about RCBS Pro Melt

I'm preparing to upgrade my casting equipment by purchasing an RCBS Pro Melt melting pot. The new Pro Melt II has digital temperature control, but no one has any in stock. No idea when they'll be in stock. Mid South Shooters Supply has the original Pro Melt in stock but it's $100 higher priced than the new model. Wondering whether I should wait for the new digital model, or suck it up and buy the original model. Currently I'm using a Lee drip-a-matic. It works, but is annoying. Opinions please on which model to purchase. Thank you!

I have the ProMelt w/o digital control and it works just fine for me with no drips.

If what you have is working, I'd hold off a bit and see if I could get the newer model.

Kraken Fan #69

I have the non digital ProMelt as well, casting has never been easier.I wonder what parts they cheapened up for a lower price on the new ones.

I was wondering that too - the newer one is $100 cheaper than the old one??

The old one is a pretty solid unit.

Boolit Buddy
    Called RCBS about a week ago for parts to a Lubamatic press and asked them about the release date. They said there were problems that had to be corrected before it is released. They didn't expect it to hit the market till about Black Friday.

Boolit Master

My Pro-Melt has an aftermarket PID that I built--works great

did convert it to pull down handle which is so much easier on shoulder
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I have been running a old RCBS for 20+ years, replaced the tank and the rod 1 time and have not looked back. A few years back I did build a PID controller for it, love it and would not give it up. I think I would buy another old style if I had a need.

Boolit Master
    I'm running the original old style, check amazon for prices and watch for a rebate offer from RCBS. I run mine on a PID as well.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I've got 3 pots and 1 PID that I can swap amongst them. They do benefit from the PID. If the PID goes down for any reason I've got the original temp control to fall back on and it's a safety if the PID runs away be it a failure of the PID, SSR or thermocouple.

Yep, having the PID separate means the pot is kept pretty simple (if the PID fails I simply swap to another one). Plus the PID can be positioned where I can see it.

Well, I jumped in and bought the Pro Melt. The Pro Melt seems to have a good reputation and following. The question brought up earlier about how RCBS will cheapen the new model concerned me. I decided to go with original version of the Pro Melt as I wanted a sturdy, well built pot that hopefully will be the last I have to buy. Sounds like I can add a PID if I choose. I may keep the drip-a-matic as a backup, but I'm looking forward to a better melting pot.

Boolit Grand Master

The original Pro Melt is a good solid pot with very few reported complaints. You probably made a sound decision and will not be sorry. Expect to get years of good service from it. I too would have been concerned about the new pot being cheaper. Very seldom do you get both cheaper and better. I love RCBS and trust them to make a good product but I'm just skeptical when you take a proven product and make it cheaper. It will be interesting to see the reviews once the new model hits the market.

Boolit Master
    I suspect that the new Pro Melt is made in China and therefore cheaper.My Lyman Mag25 is made in China as well and works fine though.

You're probably right about where it's made, Ken. As I recall the Lyman was delayed numerous times before release, obviously had issues getting it to work properly (I would guess that the PID didn't like being so close to the heat source!).

Kermit, you can't go wrong with your choice, the "older" model is a proven performer, I fully expect it to outlast my needs. I use mine for casting alloy and kept my Lee for use with pure lead.

If the II version is $100 cheaper I would be very concerned it is made in China. I have a Promelt bought new in the 70's and it has given me zero functionality problems. The green paint has finally started to flake off, after 40 years. I guess I can accept that. If the more expensive version, even with manual controller, is made in the U.S.A. I would buy it. just my opinion.....

Super Moderator

The original Pro melt has a proven track record. I'd be leery of the Chinese knock offs. You will be happy with the original model. I don't need a PID as it holds a very constant temp at my pre-marked settings, verified by two different thermometers.

Boolit Master
    ProMelt purchased in the 80's which is still rocking. Recently, added a lyman digital thermometer. Still right on.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    Promelt II is on sale at Midway in their latest flyer.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master

A friend had one when we met in 1982, already showing signs of heavy use. I got it from him years later and it's still going.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast