RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 416 rigby

Boolit Buddy

416 rigby

Recently bought a cz 550 safari in 416 rigby. I don't have a whole lot of interest in full power jacketed loads in this rifle. I do have a rcbs 416-350 and sizing die in route and about 1 k checks came with the rifle . I am familiar with the 50-55 grain loads of aa-5744 . I was wondering if anyone had and loads worked up with slower powders. I have lots of 4350. 4831 and varget

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW I checked out my Lyman cast bullet Handbook 4th edition. It sounds like you may already have it: the 5744 data. It has data for IMR-3031, 4064, 4895, RX15, AND 748 If you don't have it and would like any of this data, message me. I will be happy to record an image and send it to you. Your thread caught my eye; I appreciate powerful rifles.

That sounds like fun and that CZ550 will be very accurate I think. My 9.3 CZ was accurate enough to hit a quarter at 100 yds.

In Remembrance

As my little .416 Taylors loads aren`t what you are asking about I`ll make another suggestion. Look on the Accurate molds site page, go to the middle of page 10 for their selection of .416 molds in their 41 - XXX lists. Many types to look at and the boss at Accurate will talk to you about any changes to a mold you might want, not to mention very fast turn around time.Robert

Boolit Master

NOE has a 416 mould in stock: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...6822cfsqq9cc66 You can even get it in a hollow point version. I don't know if it would be any better than the RCBS version. I picked one up a while ago, just in case a .416 drops into my lap someday, but I haven't cast with it yet.

In Remembrance

I called the boss at NOE several years back asking about doing .416 molds. He responded with this mold that is almost a clone of the RCBS offering. I had Buckshot do his magic on making my RCBS mold an H.P. or back to solid nose by moving a screw and H.P. insert. At present I have 3 Accurate molds, an BRP and a dedicated custom PP mold. I would look seriously at an NOE if he were to offer other 416 molds, but none have surfaced thus far.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 rcbs 416-350 molds now. As long as it shoots in this rifle I probably won't search for another mold. Maybe a 420+ in the future . if the 4 the edition Lyman manual has the 416 data in it. I'll just order a copy of it. Does anyone know if the Lyman 4/the edition has 338-06 in it also ?

I have the Noe mold, very nice mold, can't get it to feed from the magazine. Today's experiment was to grind a form tool and convert the nose into an almost round nose profile, about a .090" meplat. Will find out tomorrow if my engineering whizbang is going to help. If it does, than I may continue turning the nose profile on the lathe.

Lead turns beautifully.

Boolit Master

I took my CZ down to 42.7 grains of 5744 for 1885 fps with the gas checked NOE 418-350RF cast of No. 2, lubed with Ben's Red, sized .417", using Norma brass.

Kinda weird using the same gradual progression process in reverse to work DOWN a load, but that's really what you have to do for a cavernous case like that which was never intended to be softballed.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I have the Noe mold, very nice mold, can't get it to feed from the magazine. Today's experiment was to grind a form tool and convert the nose into an almost round nose profile, about a .090" meplat. Will find out tomorrow if my engineering whizbang is going to help. If it does, than I may continue turning the nose profile on the lathe.

Lead turns beautifully.
    Success! feeds from the magazine with the modified nose profile, for the number of rounds per year out of this rifle I can profile a years supply in an hour and use the mold I have. As a flat point w/40 grns. 5744 it shot very well and was fun to shoot. I expect on Saturday that it will shoot just as well.

Boolit Buddy
    My mold and sizer arrived today. Managed to score 2 lb of 5744 for $24 a lb at local gun shop. This weekend is youth deer season so I won't have time to cast and size some till probably December