RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We got TV, it's on probation.

Boolit Master

We got TV, it's on probation.

For the last 4 years or so we have not been connected to a television source. I got mad at having to pay a cable/ sputnick company and still having to sit through the hard sell part of the programming mix. So we let it lapse and the silence was golden. We would still on occasion get a whole season of a show like NCIS, or Monk, or Lie To Me from the library and binge out on it for a treat with no commercial breaks at all. It was great and the library had an immense selection and the ability to borrow more from all the other libraries in the county. Well we moved back to the land of long shadows and the library system here is not so hot. So, Menards had an antenna for digital reception on sale with a rebate for $.99 plus tax and postage for the rebate, so I got one and it works pretty well. We can get 7 or 8 channels, CBS NBC PBS among them. The commercials have gotten worse but at least it is free and there is a channel that broadcasts shows like Green Acres and others of that vintage. And there is ION TV with shows like Criminal Minds, I saw an episode of Columbo and an old X Files and enjoyed them, I admit it. But the first day or so was when the shooter at las vegas was the hot story and all the wild speculation and "we gotta do something" was pouring forth and I found my blood pressure rising. Yesterday was Columbus day and on the 11 oclock local news the news reader was delivering the story of a statue of Columbus someplace out east that was defaced with red paint and right at the end in the same ho ho ho santa clause voice announced that "Columbus brutalized and enslaved the Native Americans that he encountered." So I think that he was happy to see the statue with red paint on it. Still plenty of absolute garbage on the air for sure.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Yeah that statue was on my neck of the woods and the news keeps cutting to the same rosie odonnel looking woman to get her opinion on the matter, meanwhile Cuomo is touting the safe law as a model for the country and adding bumpstocks to an already vague law, it feels like he may be setting up for a presidential run.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If I have a TV I watch a lot. If I don't have one, really don't miss it. I watch shows from the 80's and earlier, and the History shows. Todd/3leg

Ours has been cut for a few years, don't miss watching fake news, homosexual-Bi-Racial Sitcoms and overpaid pompous pro athletes...Did I miss anyone?

Boolit Master

My TV quit working in 1978 or 79, my mind is blissfully unbrainwashed and not contaminated with, (full in the blank.)
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    yes its 5 min worth of television and 15 min worth of ads
    b.s for sure
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Ours has been cut for a few years, don't miss watching fake news, homosexual-Bi-Racial Sitcoms and overpaid pompous pro athletes...Did I miss anyone?
    We just cut the cable in my house for many of these same reasons, especially the NFL. Now just on antenna and although there is quite a bit of garbage over the air, at least I'm no longer paying for it (at least not directly).

Boolit Master

Like you I have an antenna in the attic (we get hurricanes you know). I watch mostly news and PBS when they have something I'm interested on. PBS has some good cooking shows on on the weekends.

I would go 100% internet for video and music entertainment but spouse is very engaged (fixated) on the dancing shows. She is a dancer so those shows must remain. I told her we could get an antenna since any tv antenna gets digital, antenna is only different to be optimized for different frequencies but any signal in those frequencies can be pulled in. Tuners on tv have to be able to handle the digital signal. So with antenna we would see those dancing programs and I could pick what to watch and when from the internet the rest of the time.

She insists she would be missing something but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't. And she isn't sure what it would be so I can't confirm the unknown program will be available. My super power of research and comparison has met her kryptonite of stubbornness so we still have cable.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    About 20+ years ago I got tired of shelling out more money for cable than water and sewer. Switched to satellite and made a deal with the satellite company to pay once a year. 3 years later the switcher went out and they wanted too much to replace it. Went without any connections for about 10+ years; never felt deprived. Been watching internet TV for about 7 years. Watch mostly documentaries, westerns and some of the old 3 camera, shot-on-film sitcoms. We also have a library of about 500 DVDs.

Have always been very careful, very picky of what kind of news and programming my children get exposed to.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

We did not cut the cable, but we did throttle it back severely.

Kept the good internet, put the cable back to 35$ a month basic. Bought a Amazon fire stick, then the bigger fire tv. We put 10$ a month into Netflix. And between those and a few programs we get off the big 3 networks we have plenty to watch.

We have been watching a lot of BBC, PBS programing. All with no commercials.
    We do pay for prime, but as far as I am concerned it pays for itself a couple times over.

This last summer we watched Fire tv and Netflix almost exclusively. Now the new shows are back on we roughly split time between cable and amazon.

Love the control.

100$ for the box, 200$ for prime and all of amazon's video is at your fingertips plus music.

Boolit Master

Well Ghosthawk you need something to do on those nasty winter days up there. I imagine by late January your reloading is done for a year.

Banned

with my bad back I cant allways get out and do what I want and to be honest would be lost without a tv. I wouldn't settle for an antenna because you mostly get abc nbc and cbs on them and there probably the worse and most commercialized stations on the tv. that said about half the channels I get I take right off the menu because I have absolutely no interest in them. Dish and cable company's need to get real and let a guy buy only the channels he wants. Angers me that I have to pay money for shopping networks, a whole bunch of sports channels and even Spanish speaking channels, cooking channels and even soap opera channels and other trash they lump in with these packages.

I do watch some tv in the daytime, mostly off the wall, documentarys, or outdoors/wildlife stuff.

Reloading is done in the basement, summers are cool down there, winters are cooler. But a lightweight longsleeved shirt =cast and reload in comfort. So both casting and reloading happen on a "as needed" situation. I have not had a lot of energy for shooting of late so the reloading "need" factor is way low. Winter is coming though and I do have plenty of pistol brass, plus .223, 7.62x39 and .30-30 brass to fill if I can find the ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Well Ghosthawk you need something to do on those nasty winter days up there. I imagine by late January your reloading is done for a year.

Lloyd you are exactly correct. We should have a list of channels on a web page, with a price per month for the channel. And we should be able to pick and choose. And we should be able any month to go change those channels.

Our cable provider recently told us our rates are going up to pay for sports programing which I never ever watch. Burns my butt. Make the guys who watch it pay for it.

Boolit Master
    I have a 60" Vizio, and Dish network. I blocked the offensive channels. We mostly enjoy TCM, RFD TV, and Fox News.

Boolit Master
    We have internet only for tv. I bought an antenna with a supposed 150 mile range (Denver is 150 miles from here) and we get zero reception on it. If I want to proceed chasing broadcast tv, I have to buy an antenna mast at least 80' high. Not worth it to me, but I appreciate being removed from the constant tv going in the background all the time. And I appreciate our boys being very restricted in what they get to watch, and even at that they usually don't watch much more than 2 hr of tv per week. Some weeks, zero tv---they prefer going outside and helping
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Moderator Emeritus

My long range antenna gets a PBS station. I haven't missed it. My wife watches amazon prime when she wants to see something or library dvd's. I go on the news web site and pick stories I want to see every three days or so.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    with my bad back I cant allways get out and do what I want and to be honest would be lost without a tv. I wouldn't settle for an antenna because you mostly get abc nbc and cbs on them and there probably the worse and most commercialized stations on the tv. that said about half the channels I get I take right off the menu because I have absolutely no interest in them. Dish and cable company's need to get real and let a guy buy only the channels he wants. Angers me that I have to pay money for shopping networks, a whole bunch of sports channels and even Spanish speaking channels, cooking channels and even soap opera channels and other trash they lump in with these packages.
    Just like an Insurance policy..When I had O'care I was covered for birth control and pregnancy. Man would I be one rich SOB if that were to happen.

I hear what you are saying but I'm afraid it is to late for that.

Boolit Master
    I have cable tv on exactly one tv...my wife's in the bedroom. We cut the cord ~5-6 years ago before we got married due to tight finances and I found I never really missed it. The only reason we have it at the moment was the internet/tv package deal was a far better option than the "internet only" package from AT&T for a similar price at slower speeds. Once we move we will probably go back to internet only since the promo deal has worn off.

I can find almost anything I want to online or via netflix/amazon and I prefer not to watch all the ad's for stuff I don't really need. Bad enough on the wallet perusing gun sites and the swapping and selling on here, I don't need any more help spending money!

If I could pick and choose which channels I wanted to pay for then it would be a different story, but like most of yall I don't watch 95% of them and stick to the history channel, discovery channel, travel channel, etc. If I wanted to see people look like idiots I just go to walmart.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast