MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: American Firearms 25 ACP

Need help with American Firearms 25 ACP

Hello all.
    I’m attempting to fix for a friend an American Firearms Mfg. pistol in 25 ACP. My primary issues are:
    1. Not a gunsmith
    2. No drawings or parts schematics/lists available.
    3. NO HELP after initial contact and won’t even respond to emails from the current owner Elizabeth (American Derringer) of the old defunct AFM. They want nothing to do with this gun and are happy to see it dead.
    4. It’s my buddy favorite (deceased) uncles carry gun from way back so it’s sentimental.
    5. It seems to have a non original slide spring and is missing the firing pin spring.
    6. No parts avaliable on any of the usual sites- Midway,Brownells,eBay or Numrich

Positives:
    1. This Wealth of knowledgeable and helpful people on CB.
    2. I purchased a like size (ID/OD) spring from some measurements I took of parts it fits on/in.
    3. It is a $100 gun at best so I’m not worried about screwing up a heirloom and neither is the owner.
    4. It is similar if not identical to the American Derringer model LM5
    5. I am really good at mechanical repairs and understand more than the basics of guns mechanically.
    6. I have time to research and restore this gun.

ANY help in the form of pictures,drawings or leads to other resources are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Uncle Dave
    Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-10-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: “Need Help” missing in title

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    2. I purchased a like size (ID/OD) spring from some measurements I took of parts it fits on/in.
    Are you looking to make a spring that will work, or are you looking for original springs?

For really odd stuff (gun parts), I have a few 'go to' places.

http://leesgunparts.com/
    You need to call at 0900 exactly or send him a fax. He doesn't do email and often doesn't answer the phone. He has odd stuff scattered about his place. He'll probably need some time to find it, if he has it. If he doesn't, he might know someone who does.

You could try Bob's Gun Shop Inc. You would have to email or fax him what you're looking for. He doesn't answer the phone, either. http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/ Same deal, he may not have what you're looking for, but might know someone who does.

My last suggestion is Jack First. They now have an online presence, but used to be catalog orders only. They don't list what you're looking for, but might have parts for it anyway or know someone who does. https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/ I go to Jack First when Numrich is out of stock. Often they'll have the same item in stock. Call them and ask about parts for your gun.

When looking for hard to find gunparts, I'll check ebay every few days, sometimes over several months. Sometimes you'll get lucky and what you're looking for will pop up. It takes persistence.
    Last edited by John 242; 10-22-2017 at 04:59 PM.

So what parts are you looking for?

Springs or spring specs are what I need.
    I prefer to get originals for the thought they will function better than unknown tension from recreating one with no information whatsoever. The firing pin spring is missing and the slide spring appears to be less than original and stretched erratically.
    The slide spring guide rod has a hole in the end like it might be a captured spring but i can’t tell with out a parts breakdown. It might be bubba did a home style repair. I’m not ok with that on a gun when there are better ways available.
    John - thanks for the source tips.
    Thanks guys for the responses.
    Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    Springs or spring specs are what I need.
    I prefer to get originals for the thought they will function better than unknown tension from recreating one with no information whatsoever.
    No doubt, you're kinda flying blind.
    Best case would be to find the OEM part and buy it. Next best would be to find someone with the OEM part and get the wire diameter, coils per inch, ID, OD, length, etc from them. Either buy or make a spring off those specs.

Here's to hoping someone has your gun and is willing to hook you up with what you need. Maybe hit a bunch of different forums, you might get lucky.

Worst case scenario would be extrapolation, using another .25 auto as a starting point. A similar guide rod/spring set up would be most helpful. Under these circumstances, you'd really be "winging it." You might be able to concoct a firing pin spring. Is the gun hammer fired or striker fired?

Is this gun a clone or copy of another gun that might be useful for cannibalizing?
    I'm not familiar with it:
    Attachment 206393

Wolff gun springs should be able to help

Moderator Emeritus

A friend of mine has probably done 100 or more of this type of repair, and he just goes to his box of odd parts and springs and screws, and can usually come up with a spring that will work, or can be cut to fit and work. If not, he just sends them home with a "Sorry, no can do." But he's gotten many of them percolating again. These types of repairs really depend a LOT on one's ingenuity and imagination and creativity. Any job CAN be done. Sometimes it's just a question of whether it's worth it. For a friend's sentimental piece, one is obligated to go an extra mile or two at least. But not every nut can be cracked, and sometimes, even work for a friend can be too much. But I always make a serious and concerted effort, even if it means trying to shape a new part with a file and sandpaper. These are the jobs that really test a guy's mettlle! And especially his creativity and imagination and industriousness. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Review the embedded Photos in this link as toward the end there is one of The disassembled Pistol laid out for full view.

"https://www.steyrclub.com/threads/american-firearms-manufacturing-co-inc-25-acp.8232/"

John - I am not able to see your attachment. Please try again if able.
    55 - thanks again on the resources.
    Blackwater- I’m a guy who loves to tinker and repair and I’m up for the test. Thanks
    Chev. - this is very helpful.

Now I know what I am missing!! More than originally presumed but not scared of by any means.
    I now have some information ( thanks to you) to continue on my repairs. You really came through for me!

Dave

Boolit Master
    Uncle Dave,
    Please post your progress toward repairing this pistol and at least the final End Results of your repairs.
    My Curiosity has been Aroused.
    Chev. William

It’s done!
    It was so easy. I contacted http://leesgunparts.com/ by phone as JOHN 242 recommended and it was a breeze. He had all the springs and parts (I ordered many extra parts) for my repair. All total $54. Even got the elusive diagram with part numbers and prices.
    Thanks guys!
    Could never have done it without your help.
    Dave

Boolit Mold

Manual for .25 Auto

AF_25ACP_Manual.pdf Here is a copy of the manual that came with my recently acquired '74 .25 auto.

Boolit Mold
    amderringer@aol.com
    I found this email address through a search for American Firearms. They were purchased by American Derringer in Texas. They were quick with replies and advice on my little .25acp. I have also posted a manual for this gun for anyone who needs part numbers for directions for disassembly/assembly. BTW, the magazine spring is $25 with $10 s/h.

I've known Lee for decades. He's the real deal and his opinion holds weight concerning parts and repair methods. Not 8:59, not 9:02, 9am as mentioned

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 55fairlane View Post
    Wolff gun springs should be able to help

I know I'm late to the party, but you could also try a retraction spring from a ball point pen...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Mold

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by *De* View Post
    AF_25ACP_Manual.pdf Here is a copy of the manual that came with my recently acquired '74 .25 auto.
    Great, I just acquired some parts for this pistol, slide, grips, trigger & small parts & your schematic is an invaluable aid in ID. Thank You, Mike