Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Seeking advice on shipping MEC shotshell presses

Boolit Buddy

Seeking advice on shipping MEC shotshell presses

Hello the fire,

I have several MEC presses (600 Jr, 650 and 9000) I am interested in selling, but am concerned about shipping. Made a trip to Post Office and I think their cost was too high to be practical. Has anybody shipped any of these and found a reasonable way to do it.

Thanks,
    Jackpine

Boolit Master
    the 6 and 650 is not much of a problem in a large FRB the 9000 is so you are looking at about 25 to ship a 9000
    so add about $20 for shipping
    this is the 48 so ask before you sell

Boolit Master

Look at a parts list for a more in depth view but the wooden handle can be knocked back off the activation lever. That is the way MEC ships them, makes them more compact.

Boolit Master

The 600 and 650 will fit in a LFRB if you remove the handles and bottles. If you have one in 410 I'm very interested.

I ship all my heavy boxes FedEx. They have been reasonable for me. Post offfice is only good for their first class and flat rate boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Fedex wanted $30 to ship a rusty one to Arizona from Texas! I said no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Fedex wanted $30 to ship a rusty one to Arizona from Texas! I said no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Try online FedEx. Just shipped a 650 (FedEx ground) from Nebraska to California for $18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Buddy

If you sign up for an account with fedex and ship online, even as someone who only ships a few packages a year, you'll still get a 10-20% discount just from having the account. If you're shipping something heavy/large (that won't fit in a flat rate box) more than a few states away, fedex/ups will almost always beat parcel post with the post office, so I'm guessing that's your best bet for the this if you can't get it in a flat rate.

Boolit Buddy
    I did not think there was a chance of getting a 600 or 650 into a LFR box, but I will give it a try. No go on $25 for the 9000 with the post office. I took it in and they said $50 to ship from MN to AZ. I am 30 miles from the nearest FedEx location, but I will go by and see them next time I am that way. Thanks for suggestions.

And sorry Kungfustyle, I have 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge, but no 410.

Not sure but maybe a driver will pickup if label is ready and they are in the area. Worth to check out and ask.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
    I did not think there was a chance of getting a 600 or 650 into a LFR box, but I will give it a try. No go on $25 for the 9000 with the post office. I took it in and they said $50 to ship from MN to AZ. I am 30 miles from the nearest FedEx location, but I will go by and see them next time I am that way. Thanks for suggestions.

And sorry Kungfustyle, I have 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge, but no 410.
    I've shipped a 600 in a flat rate box (forget the size) by taking the base off which requires one bolt. Then $15 or so and you'll get it shipped.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, unless you are shipping a small, useless item, it gets out of control fast. The USPS is just stupid. I went to ship a ring and pinion for a truck, and they don't weight too much. I think it was under 20 pounds. I fit it in a 10x10x6 box. They wanted $40 to ship it. Per USPS recommendation, I then stuffed that tidy little box in a large flat rate box. Bigger box, and less than half the price.

I'd suggest just selling locally. Unfortunately I'm not interested in a progressive, but I know plenty in Minnesota are.

Don't try to ship to Alaska with out taking out a loan!

Boolit Buddy
    I always thought the flat rate boxes could not be deformed in order to get something to fit, but found out I was wrong. I learned that as long as the folds are left in the original position, you can deform the box as much as you like. I will take the advice of removing the base and maybe take the handle assembly off totally and see.

My plan was to try to sell locally, but I am out of the Metro area and have several presses, so wanted to know for sure that I could ship them for a reasonable cost, so I had a backup.

Also, I thought a USPS Flat Rate box could go to Alaska or Hawaii for the same cost as CONUS. Am I wrong again?!

Thanks again,

Jackpine

Musicman

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
    I
    Also, I thought a USPS Flat Rate box could go to Alaska or Hawaii for the same cost as CONUS. Am I wrong again?!
    Not wrong, same price for flat rate USPS. FedEx and UPS are priced crazy high.

Moderator Emeritus

I've shipped a MEC, more than once. I priced them cheap, they sold fast and I shipped them via USPS med flat rate box...the thin and long Med FRB...yes the cardboard is light duty, so the thing to do, besides a few wraps of strapping tape then completely encapsulating the box in clear shipper tape, is to use old clothing for packing...it's especially nice for Presses, since there are sharp corners and levers that can puncture through plastic or paper packing material...old clothing will almost never puncture ...and can be found for free, if you don't have any laying around that you are about to throw out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Buy insurance!!!! I sold a RCBS Green Machine that mysteriously went MIA at the post office...