RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 deer hunting is over long story.

Boolit Master

2017 deer hunting is over long story.

I spent 10 days in the mountains on my hunt this year. I did enjoy every minute of it even the rough stuff.
    The first 5 days I had a friend of mine with me on his first deer hunt. Last winter in Southern Idaho was tough on all of us, but it was especially hard on mule deer. I saw substantially less deer this year than years before. In fact from Friday to Friday I saw about 20 head of deer total and no bucks at all.
    I got my buddy into two different hunts that offered him a 50 yard shot at a doe. He just didn't see them in time to shoot. Tuesday it snowed and rained all day but I got him on a 50 yard doe. Well he decided that he had enough and had to get back to work.

Wednesday it snowed all day.

I got a short hunt in the morning and spent the rest of the day watching movies.
    My son Jacob was going to come hunt with me on Friday night so I wanted to be done with my deer no matter how big so I would not be competing with him for a deer. I wanted to focus on him.
    So on Wednesday I was going to shoot the first deer I saw. After a big storm and it was clear and cold, I saw nothing. Not a single deer.

Thursday again I saw nothing but a couple of does a VERY long way off. I was getting worried about getting Jacob into a deer. I didn't care if I got one but He didn't get one last year. I wanted him to score.

The weather warmed up a bit and the snow melted. All the other hunters bailed out in the storm on Wed. Friday morning I got up and headed out. Quickly I saw a deer and it was in range. I took a range finder reading and it was 150 yards, but steep down hill. The deer was looking at me through the trees. I could see the full chest front on all the way up. I never looked at the head. I set the sight for 150 and I knew I was going to hit high. I was shooting my Hot Rod Hawken 45 with my paper patched RCBS 11mm bullet. I was using 80 gr of pyrodex P with an over powder wad.
    At the shot the deer disappeared in the smoke. I heard a WHACK but didn't see the deer run. I headed down the hill to see what happened. I got down there and went to looking for it. After a bit I found it piled up. The pack out was going to be straight up. So I gutted it and made it into a pack.

Back at camp I took a couple better pictures.

Clearly the smallest buck I have ever shot. And it was the only buck I had seen in 8 days of looking and hunting. But I keep telling my self that since he was so tiny that makes my shooting look better.

I went out scouting about 5:00 pm and saw a doe. I thought I will come back with Jacob and see if she is still around.
    Well Jacob got there at 6:00 pm and he unloaded his Honda 90 and we headed over to look for the doe.

He was using the Hot Rod Renegade. His load was a 458 gr paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet with an over powder wad and 80 grains of Pyrodex P.
    He wanted me to carry my rifle so he would have a quick second shot if needed.

We headed down the hill to where the doe was. I was in the lead since I knew where she was. I duck under a tree and a branch snagged my jacket. The pop was so loud I was sure that any deer in the area would for sure hear it. I look up and there on the opposite ridge was a deer. I grabbed my range finder and said 175 and it is a buck. Jacob set his sight and I set up the shooting sticks for him. I quickly set my sight and looked with the bino's when he shot.
    The buck was looking straight at us. I told Jacob to hold for center and let him have it. At the shot the buck instantly disappeared. I handed Jacob the Hawken and told him if it gets up make the same hold and let her go.
    We watched for a few long agonizing minutes. I could see an antler sticking above the brush. It was not moving, but a deer is not dead until you hang the tag on it.
    I took the hawken back and told Jacob to load his gun. We worked out our hand signals and he headed out to see his buck. As he got close a Blue Grouse flushed and about gave him a heart attack. Then I heard a loud whistle, the buck was dead. Thank you Lord!

I knew this was Jacobs best deer ever. The bullet hit the deer in the neck and killed him instantly.

In this picture this is where the buck died and I am looking back on the far hillside to where the bullet came from.

I went up to the road and got my ATV and headed for the ridge. I grabbed my gear and took down a bunch of stuff for Jacob to use when gutting and getting it ready to back pack. It wasn't going to be a long pack but it was going to have to be packed.

We got him back to the camp and skinned him. Then we got some dinner and crashed.
    The next two days we spent riding out bikes, looking for bears and picking a gallon of choak cherry's for my Mother In Law to make Jam.
    Our hunting season is over for big game this year. Jacob got his biggest and I got my smallest and I could not be more happy.

Boolit Master

As always, great picture story and a BIG congrats to both successful buck harvest. In the beginning of your story I thought that, "well you are going to have to have few more catfish suppers next year."
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Nice, very nice,I enjoyed the read. D.C.
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Fantastic thread!

I didn't think there were any Trail 90's left,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Excellent hunting story Ron!

I've often taken the smaller cull bucks or doe. You can't eat the antlers and where I'm at 5 deer in a weekend is possible if your willing to do all of that work (I'm good with one or two and enjoying the day(s) after that.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 1967 CT90 I ride almost every day ,great bike in the desert

Boolit Master

Great looking buck. Great story.
    BDGR

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations all around! Those neck shots don't ruin much meat
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Thanks greatly for the story and the pictures!

The pictures of the Honda 90 sure brought back good memories. They were as tough as a steel brick!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Vendor Sponsor

GOOD hunting and a great read! Oh yeah good shooting too!! Thanks for posting!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    Congratulations Boy, you got just what you deserved.

Boolit Master
    Yes he did thanks FG

In Remembrance

Great read. You are indeed a Father to want the hunt to be successful for the Son and you along for a walk.Robert

Boolit Master
    well, atleast you got to go. congrats...... soo cool you got to take your son. special moments cannot be replaced............ EVER.

Boolit Master
    Ohhhhhhh can i see a steamed argument brewing too.............. Hahaha, i love it.

Oh Wow, Congrats to both of you... Love to read about others peoples Hunt. I've never been to Idaho but you make me want to go....lol.... You guys have beautiful Country their...
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Moderator Emeritus

This is one of the best hunting stories that I've read in a while, idahoron! Thanks for the great story and pictures! Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

wow, nice!!

Congrats to the both of you - Thanks for posting the pics & the great story !

I enjoyed it immensely !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast