Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Stuck between a rock and a hard place on a lathe

Boolit Master

Stuck between a rock and a hard place on a lathe

A few years ago I was given a Jet 9X20 metal lathe. It was used as a teaching item in a highschool. It was sent to auction because several parts were missing or broken. I was able to afford all of the cheaper parts except the tail stock ram. The cost of it on the internet is about $230. There is no way I can afford that much money from my budget. So my last resort is to ask if there is someone out there that can dulicate the ram for under $75? I can use the lathe for things that will be chucked in the 3 jaw or 4 jaw chucks but there are a lot of things I could if I had the ram. Any help will be given my utmost graditude and stuff like that.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

Buying the tooling to make it may cost more than the ram does. A morse taper reamer for the front , and a lot of lathes use an acme thread on the tailstock for movement as this thread dosnt bind under loads. You will probably need a number 2 or 3 morse taper reamer set and a 3/4" 10 acme tap for this machine. Another issue is the graduations on it. with the tooling on hand its an easy part to make, but the tooling cost may be prohibitive here. Most tailstock rams are a round form with a key slot in the bottom to keep it from spinning. is your ram damaged or missing?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have this from a Emco lathe.
    Don't know what model or size.
    Looks different, but it might work.
    Attachment 205606

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    The Jet 9x20 metal lathe is the same as the Harbor Freight lathes and several other lathes of that size. It's put together by the same little Chinese kids, they just have a different brand name and paint job. I mention this for two reasons. The first is that I used to own one. The first re-barreling job I ever did was on my 9x19 Grizzly metal lathe. It's the same lathe as your Jet lathe.

The second reason is that it's possible that if your Jet lathe's tail stock is that pricey, you may be able to find a cheaper one that came with a lesser known brand for less money. Kind of like finding cheaper Chevy parts to fix your Cadillac vehicle. Many parts are interchangeable, it's just that the brand name adds to the price.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

Thank you gentlemen , First the ram is missing. I have the piece that is threaded into the back of the ram and therefore controls the fore and aft movement of the ram. It is mounted on the wheel at the back of the tailstock. The tailstock is made with a treaded bolt that tightens or loosens the ram. It is on the back side of the tailstock and it seems that the ram must have a small flat that the bolt tightens against. The ram is 1 1/16 inches and has a MT2 in it. I appreciate all the information you have provided.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Bub
    It's pretty inexpensive at Grizzly tools. look under the g4000 lathe, they have a parts catalog. $38 plus shipping if I looked up the right part.

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
    It's pretty inexpensive at Grizzly tools. look under the g4000 lathe, they have a parts catalog. $38 plus shipping if I looked up the right part.

Jerry
    This might just work for the OP ; check out the Parts List PDF for the G4000 and see if that looks like your tail stock.
    http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/g4000_pl.pdf

Boolit Master

Were it me, and I wasn't exactly sure of what was needed parts wise, I'd take my tailstock on a drive to Springfield, MO, bring it right to the parts desk at Grizzly and see if their version of the tailstock spindle will fit. I visited the Grizzly outlet when it was located in PA and always found them to be very helpful. I have found that regardless of the nameplate, all 9x20 import lathes were the same breed of cat and the parts will be pretty much identical. The Grizzly websight will have operator manuals and parts lists for downloading.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

WOW I just got here been busy like crazy last few days, but again WOW, I have a 2016 copy and looked up the G4000 and just like the Green Ghost and you other guys, it is I am sue that it will be the same and fit my lathe. I sure hope the price really is $38.00. As soon as I get off here I will call the 24 hour line and probably order one. I really thank all you guys for the stellar help you have given me. God bless all of you.
    Ole Jack
    ps I will post on the results and let you know.
    OJ
    William Pitt, 1783

Boolit Grand Master

Be sure and check the centerline height is correct for your machine

Might not hurt to keep any eye out on evilbay. My first lathe was a 1994 9x20 enco and I quickly found out the only Enco thing about it was the tag they had pop riveted on it. When I needed parts I got them from grizzly or enco as they would get them in a timely manner. The guy I got that lathe from had "improved it" by adding a home made tool post that was way too big for the lathe. In order to make it fit he had milled down the top side of the compound to the point it flexed alot. A new compound top half was $75 but I was able to find a complete used one off of a HF lathe for $30 complete with original tool post. Bolted right up no issues. Depending on how old it is they have changed some of the gears in the apron between when they made my lathe and 10 years ago or so when I needed to replace some parts in mine. If it comes up, count the number of teeth to make sure they match when you order.

Boolit Master
    I doubt if Grizzly will sell parts without the serial number of the lathe.They have or had a policy against selling parts to use on machines from a different importer.Jet may be willing to sell parts.There is no guarantee that a replacement part will fit even if it comes from the importer of the lathe.The Chinese and Taiwanese keep making changes on their machines during production runs.I had some experience with that on Enco Bridgeport copies.

Boolit Master

KenT7021 and you all others, I decided to go beard the bear in it's den so to speak. I called the grizzly order and information line listed in the catalog that I have. This was just a few minutes ago around 9:25 Saturday and got a recording that they are available during the week at day time. However, she said you may order parts on line at Grizzly.com, which I did.I was prepared to be disappointed if I had to give them a S/N as my machine is a Jet. But I sailed right thru the ordering process without a hitch. The price was as Green Ghost said, at $38.50, with $9.99 for shipping and finally because Grizzly has facilities in Mo. the state tax came $3.69. The grand total came to $52.18 which I can live with very comfortably. And all of this is because of all of you cared enough to help a member out. I may have told you before that I had called JET and the parts person quoted me $239. I hung up without hearing the shipping because I was feeling faint. Look at the money you all saved me!!!!!!!!!!! I am a very happy man, and may God bless all of you and your families.
    Ole Jack
    William Pitt, 1783

Congrats! I have 2 bigger lathes but sill use the 9x20 all the time as it's a nice size for small quick work.

Boolit Master

Here's a link for all you 9x20 lathe owners out there. Pretty interesting stuff.
    http://bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Well to finish the saga of the ram, I ordered the ram by the internet Sat. nite and yesterday I got a email notice that it had been shipped and today it arrived from Springfield Mo. about 300 miles from me. Grizzly did me right. Am a happy man. And thank you again one and all couldn't have done it with out you.
    Ole Jack
    William Pitt, 1783