Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget AR trigger, worth it?

Budget AR trigger, worth it?

Love most of my DPMS, but would like just a little better trigger. This is a field/plinking gun so I honestly like a little take up and have no desire for a 2lb $250 trigger!
    I just want it a little lighter and crisper. I’ve VERY LIGHTLY stoned it and that helped. I’ve looked at the spring kits but most are set up for 5.56 and I’ve heard a lot of issues with the hammer spring having enough power to light off 7.62. I like to shoot a lot of military ball so I don’t see much gain in buying a spring kit and throwing half of it away!
    I’d like to stay under $100, well under if possible please, so thoughts on options or just leave it the Hell alone?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    I've used quite a few Rise Armament triggers without issues. Factory ammo and my reloads with commercial primers. I think they are close to $100. If you have issues with the JP springs you could bob your hammer and see if that helps. A pistol grip adjustment screw isn't a bad investment either.

Boolit Master
    Almost all of my AR15s have ALG triggers. I use the ACT, just a stock trigger made correctly with slippery wear ever coatings.

https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Owned by the same family that owns Geissele.

Boolit Master

larue mbt is supposed to be pretty good and runs about $100. my own preference in trigger is the JARD adjustable, they run about $150.

Quote Originally Posted by WJP View Post
    I've used quite a few Rise Armament triggers without issues. Factory ammo and my reloads with commercial primers. I think they are close to $100. If you have issues with the JP springs you could bob your hammer and see if that helps. A pistol grip adjustment screw isn't a bad investment either.
    That’s a bit lighter than I’m after, 4.5 is pretty much my comfort level with this gun.
    Please elaborate on the grip adjustment screw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Almost all of my AR15s have ALG triggers. I use the ACT, just a stock trigger made correctly with slippery wear ever coatings.

https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Owned by the same family that owns Geissele.
    This is top of the list ATM, one 4star review, pretty impressive and two sets of springs!

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    larue mbt is supposed to be pretty good and runs about $100. my own preference in trigger is the JARD adjustable, they run about $150.
    In the running.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Banned

I'm a firm believer for a better trigger in the AR's. If you're on a budget the Rock River Arms National Match triggers are okay. They are two stage and you may prefer that over a single stage that's almost a hair trigger, depending on how it's set. The two stage give you a chance to not do the shot should you decide not to at the last moment.

No, no two stage please, that’s too much hassle for a field rifle imo. I want to switch to “fire” and hit an opposum running at me, or the stupid armadillo before it runs off!
    I have terrible back issues and can suffer from random muscle spasms, think arm and leg “twiwtches” if you will. My arms and hands can go numb randomly, nothing like dumping a fresh poured pint of beer on yourself or the floor!
    I also purchased this rifle for my son to “grow into”, he’s 12 and not a terribly experienced shooter as I have a hard time paying indoor ranges, but finding places to shoot is getting harder as I can’t schedule my “bad days” around the 90 mile, each way, drive to my dads land anymore. Also there are few indoor ranges that allow full house .308 rounds here.
    So yes, I’ve got specific reasons for being so picky, think of walking 100 acres and randomly shooting things type rifle.

Banned

That's fine sawinredneck. I'm not trying to force what I like on other people, I was just stating what works for me and why.

On a standard military trigger, you can stone them some, but not a whole bunch because they are surface hardened. Then, you can make them less gritty by marrying the parts. If you dont know what this means, I will describe. With the hammer and trigger installed, place a buffer such as a rolled up piece of cloth against the inside of the frame where the hammer strikes. Make sure you have more than enough. Then put extra pressure, maybe 10 pounds more on the hammer by prying on it with your finger or a brass rod or a stick. Then pull the trigger. Do this about 10 or 15 times. This marries the parts, It will cause the parts to smooth small spots out and be more crisp. Also, do it with a very light oil, such as remoil. After you do it, then stone the sear block again very lightly and check it again. Should be a touch lighter, but not gritty if it has any creep, or no creep at all.

Boolit Grand Master

Each to their own but (other than the high speed 3 gun AR competitors) two stage triggers offer significant advantages for accuracy shooting. All my competition and varmint rifles have two stage triggers.

The lightest are 6 oz first and 6 oz second stage up to service rifle weight set at 3 1/2 pounds first and 1 pounds second.

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    That's fine sawinredneck. I'm not trying to force what I like on other people, I was just stating what works for me and why.
    And I completely respect that! Sorry, didn’t mean to come off rude.

Banned

You didn't come off rude Sir.

The best thing to do with a stock AR trigger group is to leave it alone!!! An Army armorer taught me that when I was young many years ago! Besides after shooting them they will get a tad better.

ALG defense combat trigger....

otherwise stay stock or go high dollar

just my opinion

Boolit Buddy
    The pistol grip adjustment screw takes up the pre travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    On a standard military trigger, you can stone them some, but not a whole bunch because they are surface hardened. Then, you can make them less gritty by marrying the parts. If you dont know what this means, I will describe. With the hammer and trigger installed, place a buffer such as a rolled up piece of cloth against the inside of the frame where the hammer strikes. Make sure you have more than enough. Then put extra pressure, maybe 10 pounds more on the hammer by prying on it with your finger or a brass rod or a stick. Then pull the trigger. Do this about 10 or 15 times. This marries the parts, It will cause the parts to smooth small spots out and be more crisp. Also, do it with a very light oil, such as remoil. After you do it, then stone the sear block again very lightly and check it again. Should be a touch lighter, but not gritty if it has any creep, or no creep at all.
    I may very well try that, excellent suggestion, thank you!

I like the Rock River NM and the Varmint model triggers. I don't want a light single stage on a rough use semi-auto rifle. My ARs are built for hunting first, home defense second. Both of these triggers can be found around $80 by shopping around.
    YMMV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

ALG ACT or spend a lot more money. It's what's in all four of mine.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Ruger 2-stage on my Mossberg and a Velocity 3-lb single stage on my wife's Bushmaster zombie gun. Both are far better than factory standard Ar triggers. I will put the Velocity trigger on my Mossberg and any new AR15 acquisition. I do not have high round counts on either trigger (100 rounds or less).

At the very least with mil spec triggers I use a hard stone to not do much more than just polish the finish on them, Don't want to go through the surface hardening but do want to clean them up and debur the edge. A JP reduced spring kit and one of the adjustment screws that replace the grip screw and you will have a very nice trigger. I have a hard time telling the difference in the break on every one I have done this way versus the CMC Flat trigger I have. They all have had a nice clean crisp break at about 3 1/2 pounds.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Well, don’t sleep for two days you get all kinds of silly things done, I guess?
    I did the marrying trick, used four .020” brass shim stock pieces to cushion the hammer and lightly honed again. So far I’m pretty happy with these results. It’s smooth, takes a little pull and breaks clean. My “calibrated finger” I’d guess still 5-6lbs, a bit heavy still, but usable and probably close to my needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast