MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereGraf & SonsTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaLee Precision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: October 2017, Contest topic: Lead and Lead Alloys

  1. #1
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    9,367

    October 2017, Contest topic: Lead and Lead Alloys

    October 2017

    Lead and Lead Alloys
    Galena , the silver stream itself, the base metal of the craft. Pb, Linotype, monotype, Wheel Weights and the rest!




    New contest format. New rules. See link for rules.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...90#post2797390








    I am using the individual forum titles as the monthly topics (going from the top down).[/QUOTE]

  2. #2
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    9,367
    Ingots

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castboolits ingots and 50 cal Lee mold submitted castpic.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	205607

  3. #3
    Boolit Master
    Bullwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California/Nevada border
    Posts
    1,124
    I was pouring a few ingots.

    Don't remember exactly what alloy I was using, but one of them turned out like this!



    Seriously though, I made a special Lead ingot for a friend, with a little help from my good buddy "Krylon".

    She really liked it.



    - Bullwolf

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Grapevine Texas
    Posts
    531
    Well since a watched pot never boils then a watched lead pot never melts.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waiting_on_the_pot.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	205609

  5. #5
    Boolit Master




    RED333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    3rd rock from the Sun, CDB land, TN
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Well since a watched pot never boils then a watched lead pot never melts.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waiting_on_the_pot.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	205609
    Yes it does, just a lot slower
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

  6. #6
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19
    Big blocks of 95/5 make great many little boolits

    Each block is ~500 lbs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	205695
    Last edited by jrfixer; 10-11-2017 at 07:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master MOA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, formally from Arizona Territory.
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfixer View Post
    Big blocks of 95/5 make great many little boolits

    Each block is ~500 lbs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	205695
    Now that is a happy camper.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master CASTER OF LEAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    SW ARKANSAS
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Ingots

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castboolits ingots and 50 cal Lee mold submitted castpic.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	205607
    JonB,
    Is that the Lee 429 310 mold? ( I refer to it as " the soup can" mold) I have the same one and was wondering if you have Pc'd any and shot them without a check? - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Grapevine Texas
    Posts
    531
    Each block is ~500 lbs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	205695

    Nice to be in heaven. Moving those 500 pound blocks around must be tricky. How did you get them on the platform and stacked even? It hurts my back and arms just thinking about it.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 10-12-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo correction

  10. #10
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    9,367
    Quote Originally Posted by CASTER OF LEAD View Post
    JonB,
    Is that the Lee 429 310 mold? ( I refer to it as " the soup can" mold) I have the same one and was wondering if you have Pc'd any and shot them without a check? - CASTER
    nah, that's the 50 cal (C501-440RF). When you look at the cavity size in comparison to the block size, it's difficult to imagine those blocks could be used with a larger pair of boolits...I wish Lee would have either made a single cavity, or used larger sized blocks.

    I have a couple other 50 cal molds that are plain base, so I've never had a need to try this without a GC. Also, I don't PC, I have shot some PC boolits (other calibers [30, 40, 45]), that I got from others in a few different swaps ...I remain unconvinced that, for me, it's worth the extra effort and setup costs.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    dragon813gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in SE PA
    Posts
    8,629

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    DerekP Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    wow isn't that a purty sight.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

    Thanks Yall!

  13. #13
    Boolit Master

    454PB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Helena, Mt.
    Posts
    5,213
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MJSlinotype.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	205729
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

  14. #14
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Nice to be in heaven. Moving those 500 pound blocks around must be tricky. How did you get them on the platform and stacked even? It hurts my back and arms just thinking about it.
    I rented a truck with a power lift to get them home. I have a small pallet jack that I used to move them along the wall and stacked them with an engine hoist.

    Last summer I sold two of them to a guy. We spoke over the phone and he was already to come right over. I had the explain to him that I could get them to the end of my driveway, but could not lift them. He paused for a minute and said it might be a few days. He showed up with a Honda Ridge line and a fancy tailgate lift. He was originally only going to buy one but decided he wanted 2. Well, when we got the second one in his son says "Hey Dad the truck is leaning" I guess a 1000lbs all on the one side will do that

  15. #15
    Boolit Master CASTER OF LEAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    SW ARKANSAS
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    nah, that's the 50 cal (C501-440RF). When you look at the cavity size in comparison to the block size, it's difficult to imagine those blocks could be used with a larger pair of boolits...I wish Lee would have either made a single cavity, or used larger sized blocks.

    I have a couple other 50 cal molds that are plain base, so I've never had a need to try this without a GC. Also, I don't PC, I have shot some PC boolits (other calibers [30, 40, 45]), that I got from others in a few different swaps ...I remain unconvinced that, for me, it's worth the extra effort and setup costs.
    Thanks Jon for the response. Nice looking boolits none the less. Didn't even think to use the block / cavity reference...... kinda feel like I had a Homer Simpson moment now that I look back on it.
    PC isn't everyone's cup of tea. I pan,tumble,lube size as well. However the volume I shoot allows me to cast and store my Pc'd boolits far quicker than traditional lube. That being said I still think that traditional lubes preform better in the long run. Besides the lube star and the smell of burnt beeswax has a certain therapeutic effect. Cast on my brother, cast on. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    276
    DerickP. Does that show a slight OCD? Of is it COD or CDO?

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Grapevine Texas
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfixer View Post
    I rented a truck with a power lift to get them home. I have a small pallet jack that I used to move them along the wall and stacked them with an engine hoist.

    Last summer I sold two of them to a guy. We spoke over the phone and he was already to come right over. I had the explain to him that I could get them to the end of my driveway, but could not lift them. He paused for a minute and said it might be a few days. He showed up with a Honda Ridge line and a fancy tailgate lift. He was originally only going to buy one but decided he wanted 2. Well, when we got the second one in his son says "Hey Dad the truck is leaning" I guess a 1000lbs all on the one side will do that
    Thanks for the information. I remember having to carry a load of lumber back home, many years ago, in my pickup truck. The front wheels were close to coming off the pavement. it sure was a squirrelly ride back home too. I still have a block of lead here that weighs about 80 pounds and it is a bit of a problem to move around too. Fortunately I don't move it around. What is funny, at the time, the gunstore guy I bought it from, said I could just use a chisel and hammer to ship off chunks to melt for bullets. But I tell ya, that didn't work at the time for me. I guess I needed a sledge hammer and a really good heavy duty chisel.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    The great north
    Posts
    651
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	205791

    Liquid lead in action!

  19. #19
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    30
    I think I have a picture of bubbling lead to post. I will try and find it

  20. #20
    Boolit Master

    LUCKYDAWG13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,418
    recycling Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150523_150049_resized.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	205927
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150522_110923_resized.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	205923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment (9).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	205926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151107_211303_resized.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	205928  
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 10-15-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check